Are you looking for Cane Corso rescues in Florida? This article has the perfect list of rescues to kickstart your search. Cane Corso, the bodyguard-dog, is a formidable breed–essentially a protection dog that goes back to Roman times. It is loyal, eager to please, and quite intelligent.
Despite its size, a well-trained Cane Corso is gentle with other dogs and children. However, not everyone can handle a Corso, and since it has a high prey drive, some rescues will not let you adopt this breed if you have small dogs in the house.
On the other hand, if you are a first-time dog owner with a gentle but firm touch and an active lifestyle, Cane Corso is the dog for you. It will not only keep up with you on your daily runs but will cuddle with you on rainy days too. So, if you have decided to get a Cane Corso, we suggest adopting one because rescues are full to the brim.
Over the past year, animal shelters in Florida have reached maximum capacity, and they have had to turn dogs away. Adopting a pet is an excellent way to give back to the dog community. Choosing to adopt rather than shop saves a dog’s life and frees up resources so rescues can save other dogs from unfortunate living conditions.
Besides the philanthropic aspect of adoption, you also save a lot of money when you adopt, as buying from a breeder is expensive. Moreover, rescued dogs come pre-trained and pre-socialized. Good rescue organizations spend a lot of money on the health and upkeep of their dogs, so you essentially get a well-mannered, healthy, and happy adult dog without effort.
Before you scroll down this list of Cane Corso rescues in Florida, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Chihuahua Rescues in Florida and Best Boston Terrier Rescues in Florida.
Find a Cane Corso Rescue Shelter Near Me in Florida
Our team at We Love Doodles created this list of the best Cane Corso rescues in Florida to help you out.
1. Canine Castaways
Canine Castaways is a rescue that is located in Arcadia, Florida. They started operations in 2003 when they rescued a sick Chihuahua dog that inspired them to create the shelter and has gone on to help over 2300 dogs.
Their mission and motto are that saving one dog may not change the world, but it will change the world for that one dog. They have provided loving homes to many of the dogs they have rescued. Canine Castaways believe that once they rescue a dog, it is theirs for a lifetime.
For this reason, if it does not work out with the newly adopted family, they will take the dog back, no questions asked. They strive to reduce the need for euthanasia, one at-risk dog at a time, by rescuing, rehoming, rehabilitation, and education.
If you are interested in adopting from Canine Castaways, then you should know the following:
- Please fill out an application for adoption that you can access online from their website.
- Once you apply, you should receive a confirmation email.
- Your application must have property ownership proof or proof that your property owner allows dogs. Your application will be denied if you fail to provide the required information.
- Your veterinary references are important as they establish the history you have of taking care of animals.
- All pets in the home must have heartworm prevention medication, are spayed/neutered, and have had basic vaccinations.
- Once your application has been submitted and cleared, a home visit will be arranged.
- Once approved, you will be instructed to visit the rescue to meet the dog.
- Some added restrictions for adopting a puppy include living within a one-hour radius of the shelter and having a single-family home.
- Adoption rates are $300 for an adult dog and $400 for a puppy.
Canine Castaways Details
2. Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue
Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue, named after the owner’s beloved rescue dog Heidi, is a registered 501 (c)(3) and relies on foster homes to take in and rehabilitate the rescued dogs. Socialization is an important part of rehabilitation.
The rescue takes great care to ensure all the dogs are given time to adapt to their new surroundings and interact with humans and other animals. There is a good chance that you may find a Cane Corso here, as they take in dogs of many different kinds of breeds.
To apply to adopt, you need to do the following:
- Fill out the application form.
- Once your application has been filled out, you will be matched with the dog that best fits your requirements.
- If your application is approved, a meet and greet with the dog will be arranged at the foster home.
- The adoption fees vary with each dog.
- In some cases, you may be approved for fostering instead of adoption.
- Dogs cannot be put on hold and are adopted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue Details
- Website: Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue
- Address: 3690 W Gandy Blvd #416 Tampa Florida
- Email: [email protected]
3. 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue
The 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue is one of the many pet rescues in Florida dedicated to eradicating the epidemic of neglected dogs in the region. They have been operational since 2011 and have rescued more than 4,000 dogs in the Everglades region.
Its mission is to show these vulnerable dogs that they can be loved again. All dogs are treated for medical conditions, spayed/neutered, and given heartworm medication and mandatory vaccinations. There is no medical procedure that the rescue will not perform on the dogs rescued.
If you are interested in adopting from 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue, you need to follow the following:
- Complete the adoption application that is available online and email it to [email protected]
- A meet and greet will then be scheduled with everyone, including animals that live in your home.
- The rescue will then carry out a home check.
- The adoption will then be finalized when the rescue decides that the match is a good fit for the dog.
- You will need to make a $300 adoption fee payment to the rescue, and the dog will then be handed over to you and the microchip transferred into your name. You will be given medical records of the dog.
- They will not ship the dogs through third-party transport services. You must arrange transportation if you are out of state and interested in adopting a dog.
100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue Details
- Website: 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue
- Address: Oakland Park, Florida
- Phone: (877) 506-8100
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue
- Instagram: 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida Rescue
4. Cane Corso Rescue
If you have no luck finding Cane Corso dog or puppy rescues in Florida, you may look for rescues offering this breed in other US states. Located about 17 hours away from Florida, Cane Corso Rescue (CCR) is a renowned 501 (c) (3) in Texas.
They have been operating since 2005 and have rescued and provided loving homes to more than 1500 dogs. They specialize only in the Cane Corso breed, so this is a great place to continue your search if you do not have luck in Florida.
To apply to adopt a dog, you must fill out an adoption application. You will need to provide all the required information in the application; incomplete applications will be rejected without evaluation.
This is what you need to know before you fill out your application:
- You must be a homeowner; otherwise, your application will be denied immediately.
- For personal references, you must submit their email address. Any reference given without an email address will not be accepted, and your application will be denied.
- You will not be considered eligible for adoption if you have a small dog less than 20 pounds. Cane Corso dogs have a prey drive, and there is a high chance that your small dog will be at risk.
Although this rescue is not located in Florida, it is still an option if you can arrange transport for the dog. You can use a dog nanny service to fly the puppy out or visit Texas to collect your new dog.
Cane Corso Rescue Details
- Website: Cane Corse Rescue
- Address: 3300 Bee Caves Rd Ste 650 #194 West Lake Hills, Texas
- Phone: (814) 682-6776
- Facebook: Cane Corso Rescue’s Facebook
- Instagram: Cane Corso Rescue’s Instagram
5. Redland Dog Sanctuary
Redland Dog Sanctuary is located in Florida and is on a mission to support and rehabilitate dogs that have been neglected or abandoned due to behavior issues. They especially try to provide socialization skills to dogs who have not had good experiences with humans.
The rescue owner, Newton Siquira Jr., is a dog lover. He worked as an army dog trainer and a groomer for many years and has a degree in veterinary training. To adopt a dog from Redland Dog Sanctuary, you must fill out an application form online.
They have a contact form where you can quickly put in your essential details. What’s great is that the dogs you can pick are also on the same page. In a perfect world, every dog has a home, which is Redland’s tagline and what they strive to do.
If you cannot find Caine Corso rescues in Florida, i.e., rescues specializing only in Cane Corso dogs, Redland is an excellent choice. They have a variety of dogs that come in every day, and there is a good chance you will be able to find a happy and healthy Cane Corso.
Redland Dog Sanctuary Details
- Website: Redland Dog Sanctuary
- Address: 25800 Southwest 182nd Avenue, Homestead, Florida
- Phone: (786) 317-7047
- Facebook: Redland Dog Sanctuary’s Facebook
- Instagram: Redland Dog Sanctuary’s Instagram
Conclusion For The “Best Cane Corso Rescues in Florida”
With a good temperament, Akane Corso should be on the top of your list when you visit shelters and meet rescue owners – no other breed can compete with a well-adjusted Cane Corso. With this list of rescues, you should be able to find a Cane Corso in no time.
As always, it is crucial to remember how adopting a dog will change your life. Therefore, make sure to discuss the adoption with family members before taking this big decision. Here’s hoping you find your Cane Corso today.
For more guides similar to this list of Cane Corso rescues in Florida, you can check out these other dog rescue shelter recommendations from our team:
- Best Cocker Spaniel Rescues in Florida
- Best Border Collie Rescues in Florida
- Best Basset Hound Rescues in Florida
Before you adopt a Cane Corso companion from a rescue shelter in Florida, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching the “Beginner’s Guide to the Cane Corso” down below: