In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know about the silver Standard Poodle. If you’re in search of a companion that ranks in the top three when it comes to intelligence, then you might want to read more about this breed. This hypoallergenic dog isn’t only perfect for people with allergies, but they’re active and can bring happiness to families. The silver Standard Poodle isn’t the only color. Standard Poodles come in many different colors ranging from black to brown to silver. Our team at WeLoveDoodles will guide you through one of the rarest colors, which is silver. This unique color is a beauty that pairs well with their temperaments.
Temperament and Characteristics of Standard Poodles
Before we look at the specific details of silver Standard Poodles, it is good to go over some basics about Standard Poodles in general. Regardless of the color of Poodle you’re looking to adopt, you’re almost guaranteed to receive a brilliant, active, and trainable dog. The intelligence of these dogs is a massive contributor to the ease of training that comes along with them. If you are a new dog owner, a Poodle is a great breed choice as your Poodle will learn commands very quickly.
In terms of physical characteristics, Standard Poodles are your largest Poodle option. Poodles come in a range of sizes, from Toy to Miniature to Standard. Luckily, silver Poodles are not exclusive to Standard size. Regardless of the size of Poodle you choose, you will still be able to get one of these beautiful silver dogs. However, today we will focus on the Standard size. Below you will find the average measurements and life expectancy for these dogs. Remember, these don’t change regardless of color, so this information applies to all Standard Poodles in all colors.
- Height: 15+ inches
- Weight: 40-50lbs (female), 60-70lbs (male)
- Life Expectancy: 10-18 years
Poodle Dog Breed Comparison: Poodle vs Goldendoodle.
What Does a Silver Standard Poodle Look Like?
Now that you know the typical size and temperament of Standard Poodles, it is time to look more closely at the silver color itself. Poodles are an extremely popular breed worldwide because of their beauty and intelligence. Silver Poodles are even more popular because of their rarity. These dogs have distinct looks that change from puppyhood into adulthood. However, these changes will indicate almost immediately whether your dog is a true silver Standard Poodle.
Other Silver Dogs: Silver Labradoodle Coat Guide.
It is essential to understand that silver Poodles are not born silver. These dogs are typically born black with indicators that they will turn silver. This turning of the colors is referred to as “clearing.” The most significant indicator that your puppy will turn silver is that the head and paws will clear after only six weeks. As time passes, the rest of your dog’s body will follow suit.
Your silver Standard Poodle should fully clear by the age of two, meaning your dog will be entirely silver by that point. This early clearing is what differentiates silver Poodles from other Poodles. It is common for dark-colored Poodles to begin graying with age. However, this does not typically happen until the dog is much older. Therefore, you will know you have a true silver Poodle on your hands if this color change occurs right away. Additionally, silver Poodles always have dark brown eyes.
As mentioned above, if you have a true silver Poodle, it should be fully cleared by the age of two. Sometimes, this clearing isn’t wholly uniform and leaves certain spots slightly darker than others. It’s important to understand these spots will still lighten from the black of puppyhood. They could remain somewhat darker than the rest of the body. These darker areas are usually found around the face and ears. As your silver Poodle grows older, you may find it becoming even lighter. This graying effect happens to most Poodles and is a sign of age. The beautiful part about silver Poodles is that they have this light color from the start of their lives. Their graying with age will not be as drastic as some of the other colored Poodles.
Other Silver Poodle Combinations
An important thing to keep in mind is that Poodles can also be silver or beige. These are not the classic silver Poodles but still do turn more silver in color. Silver or beige Poodles will be born brown instead of black and will turn silver. This color does not look the same as pure silver Poodles. So, for the sake of this article, we will focus on the classic silver Standard Poodles.
The Graying Gene
Now that you know that your silver Poodle will lighten with age, it’s time to look at why this is so. Many Poodles are born with something called the graying gene, also referred to as the G locus. This gene is what causes Poodles to lighten in color as they age. This phenomenon is referred to as progressive graying. You can find progressive graying in other breeds, such as Old English Sheepdogs, Havanese, and Tibetan Terriers.
This graying gene is a direct contributor to whether your Poodle will be silver in color. However, this color does not simply require the presence of one of these genes: for your Poodle to be silver, it must have two of these graying genes present. There are a few different parental combinations that can result in a silver Poodle. With these combinations, some are more likely to produce a silver puppy than others. However, the only guarantee of receiving a silver puppy is if both parent dogs are also silver. This combination guarantees your puppy will have two of the graying genes present.
Knowing that two graying genes are needed to produce silver puppies, you may be wondering what happens if only one of these genes is present. Suppose a puppy is born with only one of these graying genes; in that case, your Poodle will be considered blue. Similar to silver Poodles, blue Poodles will also fade in color over time. However, unlike silver Poodles, blue Poodles do not fade as much. Blue Poodles are lighter in color, and this fading happens over a more extended period of time.
More Poodle Content: Black Poodle Information, Facts, Images.
Genetic Combinations for Silver Poodles
Poodles come in a variety of colors. As you can see, different parental combinations result in silver Poodles. When it comes to these combinations, you must have the ability to pass two graying genes down to the offspring, or there is no chance of getting a silver pup. Below you will find the most common combinations of Poodle parents that can result in a silver puppy.
- Silver Parent + Silver Parent = 100% chance of silver puppies
- Blue Parent + Silver Parent = 50% chance of blue puppies, 50% chance of silver puppies
- Blue Parent + Blue Parent = 25% chance of silver puppies, 50% chance of blue puppies, 25% chance of black puppies
The graying gene is recessive; it must be inherited from both parents for the gene to be made apparent. The above combinations demonstrate this phenomenon as you can see both parents have this gene. However, even though the puppy can obtain two copies of the gene from the parents, it does not mean it is guaranteed. The only time you can ensure a silver puppy is if both parents are proper silver Poodles themselves.
Additionally, suppose you breed a silver Poodle and a Poodle with dominant color genes. In that case, you will not get a silver puppy. When a puppy is born with one dominant gene and one recessive gene, the dominant gene will always be the one that your puppy will display. Dominant colors in Poodles are apricot and red. So, regardless if you have one silver parent, if you breed it with apricot or red parent, the puppies will never be silver.
More Poodle Content: Sable Poodle Information, Facts, Images.
How Much Do Silver Poodles Cost?
Poodles are one of the most popular dog breeds worldwide. With this kind of demand, high-quality Poodles can get pricey. A Poodle from a reputable breeder can cost anywhere from $2,500-$5,000. You can find Poodles for cheaper, but you may be sacrificing the health of your puppy for a more affordable price. When it comes to silver Standard Poodles specifically, you can expect these dogs to be on the higher end of pricing.
Silver is a rarer color because of the recessive gene that is needed. If you want to adopt a silver Standard Poodle, prepare to pay closer to the higher end for your dog. All this being said, it all depends on breeder availability. For example, suppose there are multiple breeders in your area with silver Poodles. In that case, the chances of you finding a puppy for cheaper is higher than if there were no silver Poodle breeders around.
Conclusion For The “Silver Standard Poodle”
Now that you know everything there is to know about silver Standard Poodles, it’s time to welcome one into your family. Just a reminder, when you’re choosing a puppy, try to be open-minded about the color you want. Regardless of the Poodle color, you will still receive a beautiful, intelligent, and active dog who will be a loving member of your family. We wish you the best in your new chapter in life.
For more articles with mentions of the Poodle dog breed, you can check out:
To learn more about the Poodle, watch “Owning a Standard Poodle” from Doctor Lindsay down below: