If you’re searching for free puppies in Ohio, you’ve come to the right place. Dogs have been an integral part of our lives for centuries. Puppies bring great joy into our homes and provide us with constant companionship.
There are many benefits to having these companions in our lives, some of which include the following:
- They encourage exercise
- Stress relief
- A companion for life
Puppies, regardless of the breed, will make you feel less alone. These awesome creatures are also good with kids, which is why they are the most common family pets and companions. Buying a puppy from a breeder can save you a few hundred or thousands of dollars.
Fortunately, you can enjoy all the benefits of having a puppy in your home without actually buying one. This article will walk you through some things you need to know about these lovely pets and how you can get free puppies in Ohio.
Before you scroll further down this guide, “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Ohio,” you can check out these other dog-related recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Pitbull Rescues in Ohio For Adoption and Best Dog Groomers in Dayton, Ohio.
Things to Consider When Getting a Puppy in Ohio
It would be best to consider the breed you want when looking for a free puppy. There are more than 360 dog breeds, and not everyone is ideal for every home. So, getting a free puppy is not the issue, but rather getting a breed that will be compatible with you and your family.
Different dog breeds have different needs. While many are companions and pets, many are working and very active, making them suitable for specific tasks and certain types of families. Hence, you cannot go home with any free puppy.
You should take some time out to conduct proper research about the best breed types you can accommodate. Have a range of dog breeds, and study their unique traits, personalities, likes, and dislikes to determine if they will be suitable for your home.
Another thing to consider is if you want a pedigree or crossbreed dog. Pedigree dogs have two parents of the same breed, and their family tree is recorded by an organization, such as American Kennel Club (AKC).
Here are other vital things you should consider:
- Size: We have small, medium, and large breed dogs. The size of the dog you want will depend on your needs, home, garden, children, garden, etc. While in their infancy stage, they might all look small. However, after a short while, some of them might grow to become giant dogs. Hence, it would be best to consider the size impact on your family and friends.
- Gender: The sex of the puppy you choose might determine its size and personality traits to an extent (for instance, level of independence or affection). Male dogs tend to be larger than females.
- Grooming Needs: Some dog breeds shed more than others, so it is important to consider how much grooming your preferred puppy will need. If you do not have the time to spend hours brushing your dog or taking it to professional groomers regularly, you should opt for a low-maintenance, minimal-shedding breed.
- Temperament: The breed’s temperament is another crucial thing to consider. Some dogs are bred for their working abilities, while others are for physical characteristics. As a result, various personalities or temperaments are on offer. Hence, you should carefully consider your needs when looking for a free puppy in Ohio.
Find Free Puppies Near Me in Ohio
Getting a free puppy in Ohio is not easy, but we list a few options you can explore.
1. Contact Dog Rescue Organizations Near you
One of the easiest ways to get a puppy for free in Ohio is by contacting some dog rescue organizations in the state. There are dozens of rescue organizations in Ohio, most of which specialize in a specific breed.
Hence, it would be best to target a rescue specializing in the dog breed you want. These organizations rescue dogs from the streets, animal shelters, and pounds. They work with volunteers who foster and care for these dogs until they find their forever homes.
Most times, these dogs are adopted for a fee, determined by the dog’s age, health condition, or breed. However, some rescue organizations periodically give out dogs to families and individuals who can care for them and provide for their basic needs.
Even if you are not getting the puppy for free, you will save hundreds of dollars adopting a puppy from a rescue compared to buying from a breeder. The fee you will have to pay will cover the puppy’s rescue, medical care, vaccination, deworming, feeding, and more.
Here are some rescues in Ohio where you can get a puppy for free or with a small adoption fee:
- Franklin County Dog Shelter and Adoption Center: This organization provides compassionate care for impounded dogs at the shelter and adoption/lost dog services to the community. They rescue and adopt various dog breeds and sizes (puppies and adults).
- Paws and Prayers: Paws and Prayers is a highly reputable rescue organization that saves and rehomes dogs and cats of various breeds and sizes. They are located in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
- All Dogs Come From Heaven Rescue: This is an all-breed, non-profit organization that saves dogs and puppies from kill shelters and provides them with a comfortable and safe environment.
- Freedom Tails Ohio Animal Rescue: This non-profit pet rescue is dedicated to saving dogs from being euthanized in shelters. They also rescue pregnant and nursing dogs. They care for the dogs and puppies and find suitable homes for them.
- RescuedOhio: This rescue is on a mission to find homes for abandoned, homeless, and unwanted puppies and dogs. They do not have any physical location, as all their dogs are in foster homes.
- Almost Home Dog Rescue of Ohio: It is a non-profit, all-breed rescue organization that has rescued hundreds of puppies and dogs since its emergence in 2003.
2. Local Shelters
Another place you can get free puppies is in local shelters. You can find all breeds and sizes of dogs in local shelters in Ohio. Many lost puppies are in shelters and need a place to call home. Some dogs also give birth in local shelters, and responsible families/individuals are needed to care for these puppies.
You can walk into any local shelter close to you to ask for a puppy’s availability or find one online and contact them via a call. Some shelters occasionally release their puppies for free because they want them to be well-cared for and create room for others.
However, getting a puppy from many shelters is not free, as a small adoption fee is required to cover the cost of caring for the puppy. Again, some organizations or individuals sponsor the adoption fees of some dogs.
In such cases, you can get the puppy free of charge. Some shelters also have an adoption day with no price tag for adopting any of their puppies. Do not forget to consider your needs before picking a breed.
3. Online Platforms
You can also find healthy and quality puppies on online platforms like Petfinder, Craiglist, Adopt-a-Pet, and ClassifiedAds. Many lost-n-found puppies and dogs are posted on these platforms. Some owners who want to rehome their pets also use these platforms to find responsible, loving homes for their dogs.
Most puppies or dogs listed on these platforms attract a small fee. However, you can find free options if you browse through ads from pet owners and breeders. There are also listings from rescues and shelters looking to find better homes for their puppies and dogs.
4. Social Media and Forums
Social media is another useful option you can explore when looking for free puppies in Ohio. Social networks, like Facebook, have many pet groups that allow pet owners to connect, learn, and share their experiences about their pets. You can look for a breed-specific group or join a general group.
Search Facebook or Twitter for local groups in Ohio to join. Many people join these groups to find people to rehome their puppies, so you might get lucky and receive a free puppy. Some also come with a small price, which will not leave a hole in your pocket. You can also find pet forums and threads online on Reddit and Quora.
5. Ask Friends and Family (Referrals)
One of the quickest ways to find a free puppy in Ohio is by asking family and friends. Your network of coworkers, friends, and family can be handy in such situations.
You might be surprised that a colleague or friend is looking for someone on their network to rehome their puppies. Even if no one in your circle wants to rehome a puppy, someone might know someone else who wants to rehome their puppies.
Conclusion For “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Ohio”
Those are some of the ways to get a free puppy in Ohio. However, you want to ensure you and your family are prepared to welcome a new family member before bringing in the new puppy. Puppies are a lot of responsibilities, and you need to dedicate a lot of time, resources, and money to care for them.
If you find this guide, “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Ohio,” helpful, you can check out these other dog-related articles from our team:
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Indianapolis?
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Iowa?
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Missouri?
Before you begin your search for free puppies in Ohio, you can learn more about getting a free dog by watching “How to Get Free Puppies” down below: