Here’s what you should know when searching for free puppies in Missouri. Adding a new puppy to the family is always exciting. Puppies are a bundle of joy and know how to spice up every moment. They are also a great option for families with children, as the kids can grow and socialize with them daily.
Nevertheless, spending hundreds or thousands of dollars buying a puppy from a breeder is not always a practical choice. Fortunately, with some luck and research, you can get free puppies in Missouri, and we will show you how in this guide. Not spending a dime on acquiring a puppy can be achieved in several ways.
It would be best if you were patient and resourceful and got the right information. Finding a free puppy is a process that takes a little time and effort, but some people are lucky enough to find one with one click. This article lists some proven and effective ways to get a free puppy in Missouri.
Before you scroll further down this guide, “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Missouri,” you can check out these other dog-related recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Chow Chow Puppies in Missouri and Best German Shepherd Puppies in Missouri.
Why Are Puppies Given Away for Free in Missouri?
There is a common misconception that free puppies are unhealthy or have behavioral issues, which is why they are being given out. That is not true, as there are dozens of reasons why some puppies are given out for free.
From your perspective, it might be difficult to determine why dog parents would choose to give away their fluffy bundle of joy. While it might seem cruel, many pet owners have their reasons for surrendering or giving away their puppies for free.
Many puppy owners give away their pets due to financial or personal issues that hinder them from caring for and providing for the puppy’s needs. They prefer giving the puppy a more capable hand rather than letting them suffer.
Here are other reasons why people give away puppies for free:
- The owner has an unplanned litter and cannot handle having more puppies in the household.
- The owner experiences an unexpected situation like bankruptcy and can no longer financially support the puppies and their needs.
- The dog cannot get along with other pets in the house.
- The owner of the apartment or landlord does not allow dogs or other pets in the apartment.
- Many relocating pet owners also give away their puppies or dogs because taking them on a long journey is impossible.
- Owners also give away their puppies because they failed to evaluate their capability to be responsible pet owners. Many people are attracted by the cuteness of these puppies and rush to a breeder to buy one without properly assessing themselves if they can handle the responsibilities of owning a puppy.
- People also give away their puppies when a family member is allergic to the fur.
- There are modifications in the owner’s lifestyle or household that are not suited for having a puppy or dog.
- The dog or puppy has a life-threatening health issue that requires expensive medical treatment.
- The dog suddenly showed aggressive behaviors towards other pets, people, and sometimes, the owner.
Those are reasons why people give away or rehome their puppies or dogs for free. Most of these dogs are perfectly healthy, well-socialized, and trained. Life is full of unforeseen hurdles, causing people to rehome their lovely pets for free. You can get a healthy, happy, and socialized puppy free from people in such situations.
Find Free Puppies Near Me in Missouri
Here are some proven and effective ways to get a free puppy in Missouri. We have many options here so that you can explore as many as possible. Remember, patience and resourcefulness are the keys to getting a free puppy.
1. Check Local Newspapers
If you have deactivated your subscription to a local newspaper, you should consider reactivating it because it might include an advert for free dogs and puppies. In your local newspaper, head to the classified advertisement section and search for keywords such as “free puppies to take home” or “free puppies for adoption.”
If you find one and decide to meet on neutral ground, ensure your safety cautions or go along with a friend to be safe. Also, ensure the person behind the ad is clear and not shady about the personalities and breeds of the dog.
2. Check with a Local Pet Shelter
Finding an animal shelter in Missouri is easy, especially when your search is not breed-specific. There are many non-profit and government-owned shelters in the state where you can get free puppies. These shelters accept hundreds of dogs, most of which are pregnant or just gave birth.
To avoid subjecting these puppies to a hard life in such an environment, shelters often adopt them or find suitable homes. You can reach out to any local shelter in your area to inquire about a puppy’s availability. However, you might have to convince them that you are the right candidate to care for the puppy and give them the life they deserve.
Some of these puppies do not receive proper vet care while in shelters, so you might spend some money on treatment and vet care. You should also be careful not to go home with a puppy with severe health conditions, as shelters accept dogs regardless of their condition.
3. Join an Online Forum or Group Dedicated to Dog Adoption
The internet would be your best friend when looking for a free puppy in Missouri. Joining a Facebook group or forum dedicated to adoption is one of the best and quickest ways to find a free puppy.
Social media comes in handy in finding puppies to adopt, and you can easily find one without any adoption fee. You can search for “free puppies for adoption” or “free puppies in Missouri” on Facebook or other social media platforms.
Posts are updated regularly on these platforms, providing you with endless options. The trick about these online platforms is quickly reaching out to the person behind the ad because you are probably not the only one looking for a free puppy.
You might need to turn on post notifications to get alerted once an opportunity presents itself. It is worth noting that some posts might not be legit, so you should check the owner’s profile and conduct a little background investigation.
4. Contact a Rescue Group/Organization
Another helpful option is to contact a dog rescue organization or group near you. As you may already know, adopting a puppy or dog from a rescue organization or group costs money. However, there are several ways you can get a puppy from them for free.
One of the easiest ways to get a free puppy from a rescue group is by volunteering as a foster parent. You can foster a puppy and eventually adopt it after becoming a better guardian. The rescue organization might waive the adoption fees and give you a compatible puppy by proving your capability.
Besides that, some rescue groups occasionally organize events where they give away puppies free of charge. It might be an event to teach about responsible pet ownership or promote pet adoption.
Here are some popular pet rescues in Missouri:
- Humane Society of Missouri: Located in St. Louis, Missouri, this pet rescue organization is dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming puppies and dogs.
- Stray Rescue of St. Louis: This all-breed rescue saves various breeds and sizes of dogs and puppies. They accept many owner-surrendered puppies and find the best homes for them.
- Castaway Animals Rescue Effort: This rescue organization is in Springfield, Missouri. You can reach out to them if they have free puppies for adoption. Some philanthropists often pay the adoption fees of some puppies and dogs, so you can reach out if you can get a free puppy from them.
- Haven of the Ozarks Animal Sanctuary: This rescue group is dedicated to rescuing homeless, abused, abandoned, and neglected puppies, dogs, and cats. They need foster homes, so you can volunteer to have one puppy.
- Humane Society of Southwest Missouri: It is a non-profit, no-kill shelter dedicated to the welfare of lost, surrendered, and abused dogs in Springfield, Missouri.
- Mo Wiggle Butts Rescue: There are dozens of puppies needing help, and this organization is here to change that. They work with puppy owners, shelters, and animal control centers to save and find the best homes for these puppies. You can volunteer to be a member and help save these puppies. By offering a helping hand to help other puppies, you might go home with a puppy without paying all the necessary fees or going through the tedious adoption process.
Conclusion For “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Missouri”
It is worth noting that looking for a place to get a free puppy does not exempt you from the expenses of owning a puppy. Owning and raising these beautiful creatures requires effort, time, dedication, and money. You must take the puppy to the vet, bring it up to date on vaccines, and buy quality dog food, toys, and other vital things.
If you find this guide, “Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Missouri,” helpful, you can check out these other dog-related articles from our team:
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Indianapolis?
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Iowa?
- Where Can You Get Free Puppies in Tampa?
Before you start your search for free puppies in Missouri, you can learn more about getting free dogs by watching “How to Get Free Puppies” down below: