Here’s what you need to know if you’re searching for the best Yorkie rescues in Texas. Yorkshire Terriers are small in size, but they make a spirited companion who is loving and loyal. Known for their loyalty to their owners, elegant looks, and suitability for apartment living, the “Yorkie” is one of the most popular toy dog breeds in the United States.
Before scrolling down this list of Yorkie rescues in Texas, check out these other recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Dog Groomers in Austin, Texas and Best Dachshund Rescues in Texas.
Find a Yorkie Rescue Near Me in Texas
Adopting a Yorkshire Terrier can make your home a happy and loving place. However, if you want to adopt a pet, consider a rescue organization instead of a breeder. Here are four of the best Yorkie rescue organizations in Texas where you can make a difference in a dog’s life (and yours), too.
Yorkie Guides: How Much Does a Yorkshire Terrier Cost and Best Dog Food For Yorkie Puppies.
1. Yorkie Rescue Houston
Yorkie Rescue Houston is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. In September 2015, the organization was founded to help reunite lost and stolen Yorkies and other small dogs with their rightful owners. This was done by leveraging social media, rescue contacts, and advocates to allow legal owners every chance to recover their pets.
Texas State Law requires that all animals adopted from YRH be spayed or neutered. The pet is then put up for adoption if the owner cannot be located within 14 days. Through vaccinations, education, spay/neuter, rehabilitation, and rehoming, they serve Houston’s homeless, abandoned, abused, lost, unwanted Yorkies, and other small dogs.
In addition, you must meet and abide by the following requirements to be considered as an adoptive parent:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- Local to the Houston Metro area or willing to go there to transport your pet personally. They do not ship pets.
- Present proof of your current address.
- You must have the consent and knowledge of all adults in the household.
- Having a consistent and positive vetting history is essential for current pet owners. This includes vaccinations, heartworm prevention, and flea/tick control.
- Spend the time, money, and effort necessary to train, treat, care for and love your pet.
- It would be best if you keep all pets indoors. No dog should be chained, tethered, or otherwise confined outside.
- Families with children under five years of age will not be considered to adopt small puppies.
- Senior citizens will not be considered for adopting young dogs or puppies.
- If you cannot care for the animal, you agree to contact YRH to discuss its future.
The minimum donation varies by the dog and is listed on each dog’s profile on their website.
Yorkie Rescue Houston Details
- Location: 6046 FM 2920 # 628 Spring, TX 77379
- Website: Yorkie Rescue Houston
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Yorkie Rescue Houston
2. Poquita Paws Rescue
Poquita Paws Rescue is a Yorkie rescue based in San Antonio. They are a no-kill organization that educates pet owners to ensure no problems for humans and dogs. This organization is a non-profit, so all donations and adoption fees care for the animals.
However, volunteers are loyal, hard-working rescue friends, so it might take a while to receive a reply to your application or set up an appointment to meet a dog. To apply online, click on a puppy listing or use the form on the main page. Veterinarian references are required.
A volunteer will conduct a phone interview, and then you can schedule a visit with the dog. Everyone who lives in your house should attend the foster home visit, including other dogs.
A volunteer will visit your home after you meet the Yorkie to ensure you can provide a safe environment for the dog. To adopt from Poquita Paws Rescue, you must bring a collar, ID tag, and leash. In addition, you’ll sign the contract and receive the dog’s medical record to give to your vet.
Poquita Paws Rescue Details
- Location: 248 Austin Hwy STE 106 PMB324, San Antonio, TX
- Website: Poquita Paws Rescue
- Email: email@example.com
3. SPCA Of Texas
The SPCA of Texas was established in 1938 and has served the animal welfare community in North Texas for nearly 80 years. Its mission is to provide every animal with exceptional care and loving home.
They help thousands of animals find their fur-ever homes each year through pet adoptions, fostering, and rehoming. The cost of adopting a Yorkie varies with its age. Special promotions and discounts are offered throughout the year.
SPCA Of Texas Details
- Location: 2400 Lone Star Dr, Dallas, TX 75212, United States
- Telephone: (214) 742-7722
- Website: SPCA Of Texas
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: SPCA Of Texas
4. Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue
Last on the list of the best Yorkie rescues in Texas is Recycled Pomeranians. Recycled Pomeranians is located in Dallas/Fort Worth. Their mission is to find, foster, vet, and place otherwise unwanted dogs in forever loving homes.
The dogs they rescue are purebred dogs used in puppy mills, dogs surrendered by their owners, lost and abandoned dogs on death row at local shelters, and a few found roaming the streets. Each rescued dog is housed, fed, rehabilitated, socialized, receives medical treatment, and is spayed or neutered. But, most importantly, they give them love.
They have a large volunteer base that works tirelessly to rescue dogs from hopeless situations, and they do their utmost to ensure all dogs have the best chance of finding a forever home by doing whatever it takes. Adoptions are usually completed within a week. You should receive a response within 72 hours of applying.
Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue Details
- Location: Dallas/ Ft. Worth
- Telephone: (214) 775-0648
- Website: Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue
- Facebook: Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue
Yorkie Rescues in Texas
According to the ASPCA, in the United States, 3.3 million dogs enter shelters every year. Despite a decrease since 2011 (from 3.9 million), there are still millions of dogs waiting for a forever home in shelters. Below are three reasons to adopt a rescue Yorkie.
- You’re not supporting puppy mills if you adopt a Yorkie from a rescue: There’s a good chance that the puppy you’re considering buying is from a puppy mill if you go to a pet store or disreputable breeder to buy it. By adopting a rescue, you can help reduce the demand for puppies from puppy mills.
- Rescue Yorkies are more likely to follow your lead: It is likely the rescue dogs’ generally limited and poor-quality contact with humans that drives them to seek attention and interact with humans more than pet dogs.
- Rescue Yorkies are usually up-to-date on their vaccines: Rescue dogs may already be microchipped and vaccinated (or the shelter may do so for a small fee)—so you can focus on cuddling your new friend instead of scheduling appointments with the vet.
How to Choose a Yorkie Rescue in Texas
It’s essential to check the websites of your local shelters and rescues since national websites do not list every shelter or every pet. Make sure you also visit in person – sometimes, all it takes is looking into an animal’s eyes to fall in love. Don’t give up if you don’t find what you’re looking for right away.
With shelters and rescues working to end pet overpopulation and supporting owners to keep their pets, the number of dogs in shelters will decline. That’s good. Suppose your shelter doesn’t have an excellent match for you and your family. In that case, they may be able to suggest where to look next, including finding an ethical Yorkie breeder, or they can recommend other shelters and rescues in your area.
Where Do You Find a Yorkie Rescue in Texas?
Please consult your veterinarian or trusted friends for referrals to responsible rescues, or contact the rescues we’ve listed. It is important to remember that a responsible rescue will never sell their dogs any other way that does not allow them to meet with you and interview you thoroughly.
It is essential to make sure the puppy will be a good match for your family and that you will provide a responsible, lifelong home for it. Anyone who has visited an animal shelter and seen those dogs staring up at you will understand. It is an incredible act of compassion to give a homeless, lonely animal a happy home.
Conclusion For The Best “Yorkie Rescues in Texas”
It is practical and ethical to adopt a Yorkie from a rescue organization. It is easier and cheaper to adopt dogs from pet rescues than to buy them from breeders. There are also challenges in choosing a pet rescue organization to take in a pet.
There could be a time when the organization denies your application. However, contact any of the four rescues listed above for simple, quick, and stress-free Yorkie adoption.
For more guides similar to this list of Yorkie rescues in Texas, you can check out:
Before you adopt a Yorkie from a rescue shelter in Texas, you can learn more about the breed by watching “Yorkshire Terrier – Care and Training Information” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.