What do you do in a situation where your dog swallowed a ribbon? If your dog swallows a ribbon, you should contact a veterinarian immediately. It could lead to serious problems. If your dog has digested the ribbon and is pooping it out, let the dog pass it on its own.
Do not try to pull out the ribbon. If your dog cannot pass the ribbon on its own, you contact your veterinarian for an appointment or recommend laxatives or other methods that might allow you to help remove it safely.
Before scrolling down this guide, “My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon: What Should I Do,” check out these similar questions asked by other people that we answered that could help your companion: What Should I Do If My Dog Swallowed a Bully Stick and What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Pork Bone?
What Are The Dangers For a Dog After Swallowing Ribbon?
When a dog swallows a ribbon, it can cause severe harm. Your dog could suffer from these serious issues if it ate ribbon. It irritates the stomach wall. In an attempt to remove the foreign object, the stomach may vomit. Your puppy will be okay if the object exits the mouth.
When string-like objects are swallowed, they usually pass through the gastrointestinal tract without any problems, but this is not always the case. Dogs defecate linear foreign bodies without injury. Getting stuck in the gastrointestinal tract is one of the worst consequences of swallowing string-like objects.
If the foreign object climbs up the small intestine, it may cause obstructions. Ribbons act like sharp objects cutting intestines when the intestines push on them. Infected or inflamed small intestines can cause peritonitis. Life-threatening conditions such as peritonitis must be treated immediately. Other serious problems can occur.
1. Perforated Intestine
According to medical terminology, the string is considered a linear foreign body, which can extend across more than one digestive organ. Consequently, one end of the string may become stuck in one organ, and the other may be pushed through another organ.
A dog that eats string is in a very dangerous situation. It has to do with something called peristalsis. Smooth muscles in the digestive system move rhythmically during peristalsis.
Your dog’s intestine cannot digest a string caught in its digestive tract, which can rub against the inside of its organs and cinch down. Imagine how dangerous and painful it can be for your dog when it gets internal cuts or perforations. The situation can be made worse by bacterial infections as well.
Unless your dog consumes a large number of fine strings or threads, obstruction is unlikely. The string needs to be rolled up and tangled up to prevent blockages. Due to its thicker and bulkier texture, the rope is more likely to cause this problem when ingested by dogs in large quantities. Balls of yarn can also easily form when knitting or crafting. A dog with an intestinal obstruction must have the obstruction surgically removed.
Dogs with intestinal obstructions may exhibit the following signs:
- Loss of appetite
Sometimes dogs don’t mean to swallow ribbons. When they do not swallow them completely, they can hang their mouths and down their throats and cause them to choke. It can be difficult for them to remove the string.
If your dog is choking and you are afraid you will not be able to get them to a vet on time, you may want to try to remove the ribbon from their throat by pulling on it gently. Do not pull hard, as this could cause severe damage to your dog’s throat or stomach. Once the ribbon is free from the dog’s mouth, you will want to take it to the veterinarian.
What Should I Do If My Dog Swallows a Ribbon?
The best thing to do if your dog swallows a ribbon is to consult your veterinarian. A linear foreign body inside the body should be treated as soon as possible. If your puppy ingests a foreign body after hours, take it to the nearest emergency veterinarian. Digesting linear objects takes a short time once they reach the small intestine.
In the case of a puppy swallowing a ribbon, time is of the essence due to the possibility of digestive tract damage. The emergency veterinarian will likely recommend surgical removal of the string. Your puppy can go home immediately after surgery, so it won’t be in pain for long. The best way to retrieve a swallowed ribbon is to perform surgery on your dog.
The longer you leave it there, the more damage it can cause, say veterinarians. Veterinarian treatment should be sought as soon as possible for your puppy. Ribbons and other stringy decorations should be kept away from pets. If you take your dog to a veterinarian, they will likely offer some suggestions to ensure your puppy will pass the ribbon safely.
1. X-Ray For Your Dog
A vet can determine how to approach the problem by using X-rays to determine whether the string is stuck and where it is. X-rays can be enhanced with barium dyes, which are especially useful to see obstructions in the intestines and to learn more about them.
1. Veterinarians May Give Your Dog Laxatives
Your veterinarian may give your dog laxatives to help the string come out easier. This may be something you can do at home. In reality, this should only be performed by a veterinarian or under their supervision.
Related: What Do You Give a Constipated Dog?
In the same way as laxatives, we want to reduce your dog’s discomfort when passing stool, hopefully along with the string. In addition, fluids might help dislodge strings from intestinal walls and prepare your dog for surgery.
Related: Can Dogs Drink Distilled Water?
In an endoscopy, a veterinarian inserts a scope into the dog’s esophagus or stomach to diagnose or treat problems. Veterinary endoscopes can also dislodge foreign objects stuck in the body. There’s not much that an endoscope can do if the string is thin or slippery.
4. Surgery For Your Companion
It may be necessary to remove ingested string surgically to save your dog’s life. When there is a stubborn obstruction or a compromised intestinal lining, veterinarians might recommend surgery. After surgery to remove strings from your dog’s intestines, it will take a long time to recover and can be quite costly.
You might be able to see parts of the string if your dog ate it, either from the mouth or rectum of your dog. The solution might seem as simple as pulling it out, but whatever you do, don’t pull on stuck strings. As a result of this pulling action, your dog’s intestinal lining can be cut through, causing serious problems with more perforations.
Dogs that eat elastic, slick strings such as dental floss are more likely to encounter this problem. To prevent your dog from pulling out any string hanging from its mouth or rectum, try trimming it instead of pulling it out yourself. It’s also a good idea to monitor your dog’s exit from the strand by keeping it just barely visible.
How Long Does It Take For a Dog to Digest a Ribbon?
The digestive system of a dog is the shortest of any mammal. As a result, the whole process only takes about eight hours to complete. The size and breed of the dog will still determine its size. Occasionally, a ribbon would pass through your pet quickly after eating it.
It’s also unlikely that it’ll be digested. Some things can be digested by dogs, of course. Dogs, however, aren’t the only ones who do this. In addition to humans, other animals are also capable of doing this. The only thing is if a ribbon is large enough for dogs to digest. Therefore, they may have difficulty doing so.
How Can I Prevent My Dog From Swallowing a Ribbon?
Keeping foreign bodies out of your furry friends is the best way to prevent foreign body ingestion. When using ribbon in your home during Christmas, keep your furry friends away. Puppies love to chew on ribbons and sharp objects like glass bulbs and lights, so keeping them away from a Christmas tree is especially important.
If your dog or new puppy is playing with robe toys, keep an eye out for swallowing the string they’re made out of. To reduce the risk of swallowing string, throw away rope toys when they fall apart. You should also ensure that other items containing ribbons are not where dogs can get them.
Some common household items that have ribbons include:
- Hair accessories
Dog Treat Recommendations: Beefhide vs. Rawhide Treats For Your Dog.
Conclusion For “My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon: What Should I Do”
Anytime your dog swallows something foreign, you should monitor it closely to see if it passes it or if you need to take it to a veterinarian. If your dog swallows a rope, ribbon, or cord, it could pass on its own. If it doesn’t, it may require medication or surgery to remove it safely.
For more helpful content similar to this guide, “My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon: What Should I Do,” you can check out:
- What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Fish Bones?
- What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Deodorant?
- Are Smoked Bones Safe For Dogs?
In a situation where your dog swallowed a ribbon, you can learn what to do by watching “Dog Swallowed Something Stuck in Throat: Vet Advice” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.