I remember several years ago, I was having dinner with my family with our Poodle running around. There was a small piece of pork bone, which our Poodle grabbed and ate a chunk of it. I was constantly worried. Just like you, the negative thoughts and questions kept reoccurring in my mind: My dog ate a pork bone. What do I do in this situation?
After we called our veterinarian to collect some information, we were relieved that our Poodle is safe. Today, I’d like to share the information I learned from risks to other vital things you should know. Of course – the image of your hungry companion chewing down on a huge pork bone or any other bones is extremely common that we don’t even give it a second thought. After all, we evolved to live with dogs because we exchange our love and care for each other for as long as we know.
As companions, we feed it, invent snacks in dogs’ shape, and sleep under the same shelter. However, when you’re giving a dog bones to chew, it could lead to numerous safety risks. This also depends on the size and shape of the bone. You can feed your companion raw bones, but it has to be grounded to fine pieces mixed with its meal. Many people give their dogs an entire bone piece, which isn’t recommended and could lead to other risks. In this article, I’d like to share what I learned with the help of our team from WeLoveDoodles.
Not All Bones Are Similar To Pork Bones
Your dog might find it easier to chew certain bones compared to others. For instance, beef bones versus pork bones or pork bones versus chicken bones. These bones could either be weaker or more substantial than the other, which means that they could crumble upon chewing while others split and create sharp edges. For instance, bird bones are thin and full of air sacs, making them easier to digest if dogs consume them. On the other hand, pork bones are much bigger and more difficult to digest due to their thickness.
The bone from a pork chop could cause the same amount of damage as the bone from a grilled pork rib. What matters here is the size of the bone that was consumed. For dogs bigger in size generally have larger intestines. It’s easier for them to digest and pass bones through their body easier than smaller dogs. Feeding bones to any dog breeds should be avoided as much as possible if you want to avoid unnecessary problems.
Dogs like bones but sticks are similar: Why Do Dogs Like Sticks?
Risks Associated With Dogs Consuming Pork Bones
There are multiple risks when it comes to consuming pork bones. Although not all dog breeds or sizes will experience these kinds of threats, keep in mind that their chances are still there. Below this paragraph, you’ll find the possible risks associated with dogs consuming pork bones.
Bone Splinter Damage
Cooked bones are more prone to splintering in the mouth since it’s being chewed and swallowed after breaking it into bits by the dog. A sharp edge on the shattered bone can cause a perforation in the intestine during digestion, leading to internal bleeding. Bone splinter damage is extremely severe and will likely require invasive surgery. When a dog suffers from bone splinter damage, it could lead to:
- Change in appetite
- Abdominal Pain
A dog chewing up pork bones could potentially be fatal if the dog chokes on the bone or if the bone causes intestinal blockage. Across the dog community, it’s never advised to feed dogs human food nor bones in general.
The other significant risk associated with feeding a dog pork bones is bowel obstruction. This means that chewing on a pork bone could essentially cause obstructions as it moves through the dog’s stomach and intestines. There’s a high chance that a bone could get stuck in the mouth or the throat even before it reaches the stomach. Coughing or excessive salivation can signal that your companion is dealing with bowel obstruction. An obstruction in the stomach could stop blood flow to the tissue and result in severe illness or sometimes the passing of a dog.
Dogs can digest some bones, but it’s still more burdensome for them to do. Compared to humans or many other mammals, many dog breeds have a smaller digestive system. Since dogs have a small digestive system, consuming the food to it fully digesting could take approximately eight hours. However, various factors come into play, such as the type of dog breed and size. In a scenario where a dog eats a pork bone, it would most likely pass through its body if there aren’t any shards. Keep in mind that there isn’t any guarantee that the bone will get digested, which is why dogs consuming bones are riskier than many people think.
What If My Dog Consumes a Pork Bone?
If you discovered that your dog had eaten a pork bone, the first thing you should do is to stay calm. Behaving erratically or getting too worried can stress your dog out more than it already is. Staying calm will help you make better decisions and what to do when you’re in the moment. Once you notice that your companion consumed a pork bone, then these are the tips that you should be following.
Examine the Dog
The first step you should take is to examine your dog. You should stay calm and observe by looking for signs of potential distress such as choking, gagging, or pawing at the mouth. If you spot these red flags, then that’s when you should take immediate action by taking it to a veterinarian or one of the nearest dog hospitals. Another word of advice is that you shouldn’t remove anything from its mouth unless the object is visible on the tongue or if the tongue possesses no sign of risk before removing the thing.
Touch Your Pet’s Stomach
While you’re on the way to the nearest dog hospital, the next step is to feel your companion’s stomach and observe its reaction. A light press on your companion’s body is a good enough indicator to see how it’ll react. If the dog howls or cries in pain, then continue to the hospital or vet. Some dogs will use their body language to show that they’re in pain. These indicators include:
- Raspy Breathing
Other indicators that show your companion facing difficulties could be:
- Bloody Feces
- Excessive Drooling
- Stomach Ache
- Loss of Appetite
During the clean-up process, you want to clean up any wastes or bits of pork bones to make sure that your companion doesn’t consume anymore. You want to find a way to keep human food out of reach to prevent this from ever happening again. By the time you’re done with the vet or dog hospital, you’ll have to brainstorm creative ways to keep your food out of reach.
Even if everything appears fine, staying in touch with your veterinarian is the best thing to do. You want to make sure that your companion is in good health. Your veterinarian might ask you to monitor your companion for any reoccurring signs of problems (vomiting, diarrhea, bloody excrement, lethargy, abdominal discomfort, etc.). If you notice any changes in your dog’s behavior that last longer than several hours, it would be advisable to book an appointment to revisit the vet. If your companion is lucky and manages to somewhat digests the bone or fragment, the bone should pass through and release as waste after 48 hours of consumption.
Conclusion For “My Dog Ate A Pork Bone: What Should I Do”
Don’t try to force your dog to vomit unless your vet asks you to. By staying in touch with a vet, you’ll have a better idea of how to proceed. Inducing a dog to vomit could cause further problems if the bone gets stuck on the way up. You don’t have to worry about the health damages that vomiting might cause, especially if the damage can be dealt with on the way back after the hospital. Dogs have a keen sense of smell and are attracted to anything that smells remotely of food.
They always follow their sense of smell, especially if it’ll lead them to something they think is edible. Access to garbage allows a dog to try out all kinds of food items, leading to potent things. Even though dogs have strong jaws and could likely chew through ones – their throats, stomachs, and intestines can be damaged if these bones are broken up into shards. In the end, it’s best to avoid giving your companion pork bones as a treat to avoid any unnecessary risks.
For recommendations, check out our other articles from the team of WeLoveDoodles:
Instead of giving your dog pork bones, watch “How To Make Beef Bone Broth For Dogs” from Gone to the Snow Dogs down below: