If your dog is panting and shaking and clingy, they are severely stressed and anxious. I’m sorry you and your pup are going through this. I completely understand how you feel as I had also been through the same experience with our dog when he was younger. I’ve done a lot of research online and with several different dog behaviorists and dog trainers to find the best path forward.
With the first rescue dog I had, she was terrified of everything. Basically of everything in the world. She would fear-bark at even the littlest noise like a car door closing from outside the house and then come panting and shaking and clinging to me. My second dog has also developed a fear of the heater whenever it turns on. She developed the fear while also being alone in the home, so this has also led to separation anxiety and stress since she has now associated being alone with the heater.
Just so you know if your dog is panting and shaking and clingy, this isn’t normal and can be trained out of a dog. My recommendations for if your dog is panting and shaking and clingy are below.
1) ThunderShirt Polo Dog Anxiety Jacket
- HELPING MILLIONS OF DOGS: With over an 80% success rate, ThunderShirt is recommended by thousands of vets, trainers, and pet owners alike. Combine use with our effective ThunderEase for double the calming power.
- ORIGINAL DOG CALMING WRAP: The patented ThunderShirt design applies gentle, constant pressure to calm anxiety, fear, and over excitement due to a variety of environmental triggers.
The ThunderShirt Polo Dog Anxiety Jacket is one of the best products that I have ever used in order to calm my dog down when they are stressed or anxious. My dog loves it and will wag when we pull it out. I try to only use it when nothing else works. My panting and shaking and clingy dog is all of the sudden calm as a rock.
The concept is similar to an anxiety blanket for adults, but better. The ThunderShirt Polo Dog Anxiety Jacket applies gentle and constant pressure around your dogs body to calm them of stress, anxiety, fear and excitement.
2. Dog Training: Counter Condition Your Dogs Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
If you don’t want to use a product, the best thing to stop your dog’s panting and shaking and clingy attitude is to help counter-condition the problem with simple dog training. Counter conditioning is also known as having your dog face their fears directly.
This means that you should record all the noises, stress factors, trigger events, and experiences that your dog is afraid of and makes them shake or pant. For instance, if your dog is afraid of construction sounds, the heater, or anything else you should record the noise on a phone. Then, play the noises through a Bluetooth speakers that you place in different corners of the house. It’s important there are multiple sources of sounds as dogs are extremely good at finding the sound source, which is why they don’t usually react to TV.
Every time you play the high stress and anxiety dog noises, you should constantly feed them high-value treats like chicken until you turn off the noise. If your dog is not food motivated, you can reserve their most favorite toy for the dog counter condition training only or have new objects that motivate your dog. The idea is to do this several times a day.
This helps your dog to start associating these scary noises with amazing things like chicken. It essentially rewires their brain, and they will not longer be panting and shaking and clingy. This tactic is highly effective in making a dog feel safer and that these noises are not that big of a deal. Soon your dog will no longer be panting and shaking and clingy.
Your dog will learn to understand on their own thinking and that these noises will bring rewards. Soon, you’ll be able to taper them off of the dog counter conditioning. It sounds like this type of dog training is a lot of chicken and food, but at this point, it’s more important that your dog can recover from these fears than her diet.
3. Premium Care: Calming Treats for Dogs
- ✅ RELIEVES 99% OF DOG RELATED ANXIETIES - Our natural calming treats have been shown to alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety. Whether your dog suffers from separation anxiety, weather-related woes, exhibits other types of nervous behavior, or is simply hyperactive, PremiumCare can help put your dog at ease.
- ✅ NATURAL CALMING AID - Our duck flavored calming treats relieve your dog of any stress or anxiety using natural ingredients like organic Passion flower, chamomile, valerian root, l-tryptophan and organic ginger root
These calming treats for dogs have worked wonders for our dog. They contain organic chamomile which acts as a relaxer to reduce stress and anxiety which causes dogs to be panting and shaking and clingy. The only downside to these calming treats for dogs is that they don’t work instantly. You kind of have to time when your dog is going to be triggered to be anxious and stressed.
4. Others Solutions to Consider for a Panting and Shaking and Clingy Dog
If the above solutions don’t work, then here are few more options that I have tried that work:
- CBD Oil / Hemp Oil is known to calm dogs and works faster than dog chews because they are liquid based.
- Superior 30x potency – pure, powerful, maximum potency organically grown hemp oil for cats and dogs; advanced extraction for optimal nutrient retention, absorption and uptake. 100% Vegan, non-gmo & gluten free with zero additives, fillers or yuck. Just 30 servings of pure, premium 1,000 mg pet hemp oil.
- Happy transformations – curious? Check out the verified reviews and discover why these calming drops for dogs are quickly becoming the only choice for pet parents who take their pets health seriously. No other hemp treats hold a candle to supporting relief from joint pain, anxiety, arthritis, chronic inflammation, allergies, nervous chewing and more.
- Positive reinforcement. When your dog is brave enough to go near her source of anxiety and fear, they should get a treat, praise, and the good dog sign.
- Extra walks to tire your dog out more. This will help clear your dog’s mind so they are less stressed and anxious throughout the day.
- Keeping certain windows closed so your dog can’t see all the activity outside. My dog has access to some windows, but “busy” windows stress him out and make him anxious.
- Having a special toy when stressed. This makes your dog feel more comfortable. The toy below has worked wonders for us and is specifically designed to aid with stress and anxiety.
- The original Snuggle Puppy, celebrating 22 years of comforting pets
- Helps with crate training by reducing negative behaviors such as whining and barking, which also helps YOU sleep at night
- Having a special spot or blanket when your dog is stressed or anxious. You dog will be panting and shaking and clingy less.
- ✅Natural foraging - Dog snuffle mat puts your dog’s nose and brain to work by mimicking the hunt for food in nature,Encourages natural foraging skills,thereby prolong the pet's eating time, improve the dog's anxiety, Some dogs get anorexia, they could spend more time to eat food by the snuffle mats, which make they find much fun from it
- ✅Comfort material - Thicken polar fleece, polar fleece has some of the characteristics of this wool, but it is lighter and easier to clean than wool. It is the best material for making dog snuffle mat
Conclusion for Dog is Panting and Shaking and Clingy
Don’t feel discouraged if your dog is panting and shaking and clingy as this can be trained out of a dog in several ways listed above. Honestly, the ThunderShirt Polo Dog Anxiety Jacket has worked wonders for my dog. In addition, you can also try dog training by conditioning your dog. Hopefully you can fix your dog’s stress and anxiety.
Other articles to read: