For dog lovers, there’s no bond quite like the one you share with your four-legged friend. While purebreds have their merits, rescue dogs are unique in so many ways. That’s why there are so many dog rescue quotes and sayings, and we’ve compiled a list that’ll put a smile on your face.
Celebrate the good deed you’ve done for your local animal rescue community, as well as your special new pet, with these meaningful rescue dog quotes. There are sure to be a few that encapsulate you and your beloved pup’s situation perfectly.
Before you scroll down this guide, “Dog Rescue Quotes That Will Make You Smile,” check out: 50+ Old Dog Quotes That Will Make You Smile! (2023) and The Best Goldendoodle Quotes: Funny, Inspirational, and Birthday! (2023).
Rescued Dog Quotes
It’s easy to find quotes about rescuing dogs because it’s an all-around heartwarming experience.
Whether you’re the rescuer or someone who works in the animal shelter community, you can appreciate these phrases that sum up the rewarding experience of rehoming a dog who needs it.
Keep reading for some great quotes about rescuing dogs.
- “Love at first sight is real. The proof is animal shelters.”
- “True love is just a hop, a skip, and a bark away.”
- “Money will buy you a nice dog, but only love will make him wag his tail.”
- “Those who believe in unconditional love probably own a rescue dog.”
- “Secondhand animals make first-class pets.”
- “My favorite dog breed is Rescue.”
- “I choose pure-of-heart over purebred.”
- “Whoever declared that love, at first sight, doesn’t exist has never witnessed the purity of a puppy or looked deep into a puppy’s eyes. If they did, their lives would change considerably.”
- “The love of a dog makes relationships with people seem as boring as a bowl of oatmeal.”
- “God created animals to help keep a man alive.”
- “Dogs are the best role models for humans because they give unconditional love.”
- “Love animals, because they have thoughts and joy untroubled.”
- “The best things in life are rescued.”
More than just a common saying, these quotes about dog rescuing can be attributed to specific minds and hearts that come up with them.
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
- “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.” – Mark Twain
- “Every human should not buy a dog, but rescue in need and free him from the sufferings and give him love, care, and shelter.” – Ridhimi Badola
- “If you don’t own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.” – Roger A. Caras
- “Dog’s lives are too short… their only fault, really.” – Agnes Sligh Turnbull
- “If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
- “Buy a pup and your money will buy / Love unflinching that cannot lie.” – Rudyard Kipling
- “Every stray deserves a chance at love, a home, and a warm bed to sleep at night.” – Penny Reid
- “Sanctuaries are magical places – dare I say, holy?” – Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- “You can’t change a dog’s past, but you can rewrite the future.” – Agnes Carass
- “Being a hero to someone, even if it is a dog, is a feeling like no other. Though it can be frustrating, it can be the most rewarding thing to give someone a second chance at a happy life.” – Elizabeth Parker
- “Shall we all open our heart to be a forever home for lost pets.” – Martha Stewart
- “Heroes aren’t built from cloth and string. They’re built from bravery, and love.” – Hannah Shaw
- “A dog is not a thing. A thing is replaceable. A dog is not. A thing is disposable. A dog is not. A thing doesn’t have a heart. A dog’s heart is bigger than any ‘thing’ you can ever own.” – Elizabeth Parker
- “Life is not worth living without love. Giving love is more important than getting it. The humblest creatures, the least advantaged creatures, are worthy of the greatest outpouring of love.” – Philip Gonzalez and Leonore Fleischer
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” – Josh Billings
- “Dogs are our link to paradise.” – Milan Kundera
- “Before you get a dog, you can’t quite imagine what living with one might be like; afterward, you can’t imagine living any other way.” – Caroline Knapp
- “Dogs don’t rationalize. They don’t hold anything against a person. They don’t see the outside of a human but the inside of a human.” – Cesar Millan
- “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” – Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette
- “It’s a small thing to help one animal, but to that one animal it’s a big thing.” – Gene Baur
- “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” – Samuel Butler
- “My little dog – a heartbeat at my feet.” – Edith Wharton
- “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – Josh Grogan
- “I very much believe in rescuing an animal, not buying them.” – Candice Bergen
- “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.” – Agnes Repplier
Dog Communication Quotes
Those who have rescued a dog know that they have a unique way of talking to us, even without using words. Here are some quotes about the magical connection humans and dogs share.
- “Dogs speak to those who know how to listen.” – Orphan Pamuk
- “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem.” – A.A. Milne
- “If animals spoke, humanity would cry.” – Manoj Rajput
- “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as your dog does.” – Christopher Morley
- “You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, “Wow, you’re right! I never would’ve thought of that!’” – Dave Barry
My Dog Rescued Me Quotes
Of course, even though you’re doing the dog you rescue a huge favor, the reward is not one-sided. The joy, love, companionship, and happiness a dog brings to your life makes it seem like you are the one who receives the greatest benefit from a rescue situation.
Read on for some of our favorite “human rescue” quotes. We dare you not to smile when you find quotes that remind you of your rescue dog.
- “Who saved who?”
- “Find your rescue animal, find your purpose.”
- “When you have heard every excuse for why someone can’t keep their beloved pet, and you still don’t believe any of them, you might be an animal rescuer.”
- “I didn’t believe in soulmates until I walked into an animal shelter.”
- “I gave my dog a house and it gave me a home.”
- “Shelter pups: Lose your mind, find your calling.”
- “Sometimes, your pet picks you.”
- “Live your life in such a way that you are as loving to other people as your dog is to you.”
- “You can usually tell if a man is good when he has a dog who loves him.”
- “Never be embarrassed by how much you care for animals.”
- “When a dog licks your tears and then sits on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad for much longer.”
- “A dog doesn’t care what kind of person you are and does not judge you. This is the ultimate confidence booster for any human.”
Funny Dog Rescue Quotes
Of course, not every aspect of dog rescue is filled with sunshine and rainbows. Dogs are surprisingly hard work! Below are some funny quotes about life after you adopt a rescue dog.
- “The better I get to know people, the more I like dogs.”
- “My rescue and I are stuck together as her dog hair sticks to my furniture.”
- “You can have nice things, or you can have a rescue dog. You can’t have both.”
- “Mutt’s love got to do with it?”
- “My rescue dog is a little ruff around the edges, but I think he’s paw-feet.”
- “Anything is paw-sible when you rescue a pet.”
- “A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down.”
- “Pet a dog and you’ll have job security for life.”
- “After we bring food home from the grocery store, dogs must think we’re the best hunters ever.”
- “My fashion philosophy is, always to be covered in dog hair.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about rescue quotes and shelter life.
An animal shelter should pick a slogan that is concise and encapsulates the love in what they do. For example, rather than sounding like a business, it should draw attention to the close connection between a dog and a human.
If a shelter wants to be upbeat and friendly, it could incorporate a pun into its name or slogan. Ultimately, an animal shelter should pick a slogan that shows it believes in its work and holds highest the values of rescue and love.
Dogs teach us that every life holds value, no matter how small or overlooked. They teach us to show compassion, to get outside of ourselves and our troubles, and that our actions can make a big difference.
Above all, the personality of dogs is always loving and forgiving. They don’t hold grudges and they don’t play games. The love of a dog is the best thing a human can experience.
The 3-3-3 rule is a catchy way of describing your new dog’s adjustment period from three days to three weeks to three months. During this acclimation, the dog will be nervous, settle in, and finally bond.
Conclusion for “Dog Rescue Quotes That Will Make You Smile”
While these beautiful dog rescue quotes are sure to put a smile on your face, after picking your favorite, try creating your own! Your lovely pup can serve as a source of inspiration.
Whether you come up with a funny quote about your goofy boy or a solemn one about your friend who crossed the rainbow bridge, give it a try!
If you enjoyed this guide, “Dog Rescue Quotes That Will Make You Smile,” you might like:
- 103 Best Hilarious Dog Puns & Jokes! (2023)
- Halloween Dog Puns and Jokes! (2023)
- 70 Best Dog Christmas Puns! (2023)
You can learn more about dog quotes by watching “Best Quotes About Dogs” down below:
Garrett loves animals and is a huge advocate for all Doodle dog breeds. He owns his own Goldendoodle named Kona. In addition, he volunteers at the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, where he fosters dogs and helps animals. Garrett enjoys writing about Doodles and believes that dogs can teach humans more about how to live than humans can teach a dog.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.