If you are struggling to find the words to comfort a friend, loved one, or even yourself following a loss, these rainbow bridge quotes for dogs can provide comfort during mourning. Use them to help guide your sympathy card or memory box.
When a beloved pet passes and crosses the rainbow bridge, mourning owners often struggle to find the words to express their grief. Few things compare to the subsequent emotions, emptiness, and sadness that consume the owner; our dogs and pets provide joy, love, and companionship.
For many, dogs are another family member, and the subsequent grief can devastate the owner. What can you say to a dog owner whose pup crossed the rainbow bridge? These quotes will help you find solace.
Before you read this guide, “Rainbow Bridge Quotes for Dogs: Comforting Pet Loss,” check out: 56 Dog Dad Quotes to Show How Much You Love Him! (2023) and 54 Dog Memorial Quotes to Show How Much You Loved Them! (2023).
What Is the Rainbow Bridge?
According to many dog owners, the rainbow bridge connects heaven and Earth. Many pet owners and dog enthusiasts use this term to describe the grief and emptiness felt when their dog passes away.
The “rainbow bridge” is a term that originates from a poem frequently used when describing the loss of a pet. When a beloved dog crosses the rainbow bridge, the other side is sunny with beautiful, bright green fields where he can play as he did in his happy and healthy youth.
The original author of “The Rainbow Bridge” poem is unknown, but the poem likely originated in its free verse form in the 1980s, and it later received changes to include a rhyme scheme.
This poem’s rainbow bridge imagery strives to comfort and put words to the grief and can provide a starting point for conversation, alluding to the day the owner will see their loving pet again on that rainbow bridge.
The Best Rainbow Bridge Quotes for Dogs
Saying goodbye to your precious pup is never easy, but these quotes can help you navigate the process and let go of grief, remembering the happiness and time spent with your loving pet.
The following rainbow bridge quotes for dogs can help offer you or those around you some solace when dealing with the loss of a furry friend.
- “You have left my life, but you will never leave my heart.” – Author Unknown
- “What is grief, if not love persevering?” – WandaVision
- “The other side of the rainbow bridge is full of safe meadows, lush grass, and dozens of warm beds to rest.” – Author Unknown
- “Having a dog will give you the happiest days of your life and one of the worst.” – Anonymous
- “Having a pet is full of risk. You’ll always have grief ahead of you, but you’ll have tons of love now.” – Author Unknown
- “Death ends a life, but never a relationship.” – Author Unknown
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
- “If the kindest souls had the longest lives, dogs would live forever.” – Anonymous
- “Although you are gone, the light you brought to my life will never fade.” – Author Unknown
- “Heaven gained an angel today.” – Randy McClave
- “Heaven’s gain is our loss.” – Anonymous
- “Some angels choose fur instead of wings.” – Author Unknown
- “The most difficult thing about having a dog is saying goodbye.” – Anonymous
- “Dogs are never buried in cemeteries but in the heart of its owner.” – Author Unknown
- “Not always eye to eye, but heart to heart.” – Anonymous
- “With their love so pure, dogs must go to heaven. They run free and wait patiently for your hearts to merge once more.” – Author Unknown
- “I loved you for your whole life, and I’ll miss you for the rest of mine.” – Anonymous
- “A pet is never truly gone until they are never remembered.” – Author Unknown
- “Dogs leave their paw prints on our hearts.” – Anonymous
- “I miss you more each day.” – Author Unknown
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
- “You never forget the feel of your dog’s paws on your heart.” – Anonymous
- “Grief is never a sign of weakness, but the cost of love.” – Author Unknown
- “When we think of those companions who traveled by our side down life’s road, let us never say they left us behind, but rather be grateful they were once with us.” – Anonymous
- “I’ll wait for you over the rainbow bridge.” – Author Unknown
- “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, looking back at memories should bring comfort for tomorrow.” – Anonymous
- “To miss out on the love of a dog is to miss out on one of the best things life has to offer.” – Author Unknown
- “A good dog never dies. He stays beside you, within your heart, on even your darkest days.” – Anonymous
- “Love comes with a cost named grief, and today the bill is due.” – Author Unkown
- “Dogs turn into guardian angels when they cross the rainbow bridge, always looking out for you.” – Author Unknown
- “Dogs are masters of unconditional love, even from the great beyond.” – Anonymous
- “It’s hard to find a loyal companion and a best friend in one, but dogs manage it every day.” – Author Unknown
- “I know dogs have souls because I’ve looked into their eyes long enough to see it.” – Anonymous
- “A million words would not bring you back. I know this because I tried. Neither would a million tears. I know this because I’ve cried.” – Author Unknown
- “Love leaves nothing if a head full of memories.” – Anonymous
- “Dogs aren’t afraid to live, and I think that’s the most enviable part of them.” – Author Unknown
- “When you start to cross the rainbow bridge, look back at us. We’ll watch you go and see you again.” – Anonymous
- “I will never forget you.” – Author Unknown
- “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “When you feel me in your heart, look to the sky, and I’ll be there for you.” – Anonymous
- “A companion is gone, but the memory lives on.” – Author Unknown
- “You were my favorite hello and my hardest goodbye.” – Anonymous
- “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
- “If you get a dog, you’re most likely going to outlive it. Opening yourself up to this immeasurable joy only to suffer equally immeasurable pain is the definition of love.” – Author Unknown
- “A piece of my heart is at the rainbow bridge.” – Anonymous
- “If love could have kept you with us, you’d be here forever.” – Author Unknown
- “The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be.” – Konrad Lorenz
- “No longer by my side, but forever in my heart. We will meet at the rainbow bridge and never be apart again.” – Anonymous
Frequently Asked Questions
These answers can help you decide the best way to comfort a friend or family member who has lost their precious dog. Consider these questions when thinking about what to say when trying to comfort your loved one during their time of grief.
Comforting words and quotes are some of the best things to use when a dog dies and crosses the rainbow bridge. Offer your loved one — or yourself — support by using quotes that help you remember how special this animal was.
There are dozens of quotes you can use to remember a dog after they’ve passed away. The best quotes to use are those that focus on how happy and satisfying life was with that animal before their time with you ended.
Crossing the rainbow bridge means a dog has passed away. The rainbow bridge is a metaphorical bridge that connects the dog’s heaven to Earth.
Comforting words may not be enough for everyone; however, the best things to say can make you or your loved one remember what a good time dog ownership was and the strong bond created.
Yes, the phrase “crossing the rainbow bridge” is used when a dog passes away, either from old age or a medical condition.
They say a dog has crossed the rainbow bridge when it has passed away. You can use quotes to comfort yourself or the dog owners in your life who are suffering from grief.
Some believe that dogs wait for you at the other end of the rainbow bridge.
There are some signs that your dog is almost ready to cross the rainbow bridge. As dogs start to age, they will have cloudy breath, foul breath, and difficulty navigating areas they should be familiar with. These old age symptoms can last for months or years, depending on how your dog ages.
Conclusion for “Rainbow Bridge Quotes for Dogs: Comforting Pet Loss”
It’s never an easy time when a pet passes on and crosses the rainbow bridge. Saying goodbye to your beloved dog may be one of the most challenging times of your life or the lives of your loved ones.
Consider using one of these rainbow bridge quotes for dogs when someone in your life experiences the sadness of losing a precious pet.
Whether posting a remembrance to social media or sending a sympathy card to a loved one, rainbow bridge quotes for dogs can provide comfort in the knowledge that owners will reunite with their beloved pets in the sunny, warm fields on the other side of the bridge.
If you find this guide, “Rainbow Bridge Quotes for Dogs: Comforting Pet Loss,” check out:
- 21+ Dog Christmas Quotes That Will Make Your Holidays! (2023)
- 50+ Old Dog Quotes That Will Make You Smile! (2023)
- 70 Catchy Dog Grooming Quotes for Slogans and Taglines! (2023)
Learn more by watching “60 Best Quotes About Dogs | Animal Lovers | Dog Lovers | Love For Dogs | Best Dog Quotes | Cute Dogs” down below:
Garrett loves animals and is a huge advocate for all Doodle dog breeds. He owns his own Goldendoodle named Kona. In addition, he volunteers at the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, where he fosters dogs and helps animals. Garrett enjoys writing about Doodles and believes that dogs can teach humans more about how to live than humans can teach a dog.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.