If you’re searching for Pumi breeders in Texas, then here’s what you need to know. Pumis are a breed of sheepdog originating from Hungary. This breed of dog is quick, intelligent, and lively. They are also very vocal, which makes them good herding dogs.
Pumi dogs have very whimsical looks. Usually, they are small to medium breed. Their ears are always upright, and their coats are full of soft and fluffy corkscrew curls. The puppies get along with children and other dogs pretty well, so they make for good family dogs. These dogs are also shed-resistant and can easily be trained to respond to commands.
Pumis are very energetic dogs that are loyal and very affectionate. Anyone that sets eyes on a Pumi is destined to fall in love with the breed. If you find yourself doing the same, how about getting one of these? Get your own Pumi puppy today from one of the top Pumi dog breeders in Texas and the surrounding locale offer.
Before scrolling down this list of Pumi breeders in Texas, you can check out these other recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Jack Russell Terrier Breeders in Texas and Best Shih Poo Breeders in Texas.
Pumi Puppies For Sale in Texas
It can be hard finding a local breeder that suits all of your needs. Especially if you’re against puppy mills and corporate pet stores, finding your favorite breed of dogs in your area can be even harder. But don’t worry. We did all the heavy lifting for you. Here are our top picks for Pumi breeders in Texas.
Pumi Product Recommendations: Best Slicker Brushes For Dogs and Best Long Range Wireless Dog Fences.
1. TriSong Tibetan Terriers and Pumik
Susan Schultz is the proprietor behind TriSong Tibetan Terriers and Pumik. She breeds Terrier and Pumi puppies, focusing on therapy and service for veterans and children with disabilities. The facility has won multiple AKC certifications.
Susan tests parent dogs for hip dysplasia and genetics to produce the best puppy stock. After ten weeks, puppies are sent to their forever homes with age-appropriate vaccinations, deworming, and a negative fecal test.
Puppies come with Trupanion pet insurance coverage for 30 days and a 5-year health guarantee. Two separate guarantees are given for general health and genetic health. During their time at TriSong are given enrichment and socialization training which makes these puppies a great choice for children.
TriSong Tibetan Terriers and Pumik Details
- Location: Huntsville (Houston), Texas & Stacyville, Maine (until 5/15/20)
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: TriSong Tibetan Terriers and Pumik
2. P.O.S.T. Kennel/Pumi
Owned by Kerry Kae Teems, P.O.S.T. Kennel has been in operation since 1978. The breeder is the proud holder of an AKC license and registration. It is also a member of the AKC all-breed club in San Antonio, and the dogs produced here also compete in AKC events. To adopt a puppy from Kerry Kae, potential owners must fill out a questionnaire with related information, including a list of other pets and housing situations for the puppy.
All the puppies from P.O.S.T. come with full registration. The puppies are vaccinated and given an extra parvo shot before being shipped to their new home. They are also dewormed and given a full vet examination, and health certificates are also provided. The puppies are also groomed beforehand.
P.O.S.T. Kennel/ Pumi Details
- Location: Tarpley, TX 78883
- Phone: (830) 730-6264
- Email: [email protected] & [email protected]
- Website: P.O.S.T. Kennels’ Facebook
3. Calypso Pumi
Patti Pitcock has been running Calypso Pumi to provide the best Pumi puppies to their buyers. Puppies are carefully bred to match the standard and contribute to the entire line of the breed. The breeder is the owner of an AKC registration, a member of the AKC National Breeding club for Hungarian Pumi, and the dogs bred here partake in ACK competitions.
Puppies at Calypso Pumi are bred specifically for temperament, conformation, and performance. Breeders test the parents for hip and elbow dysplasia, Patellar Luxation, and genetics. Puppies are allowed to be adopted after they reach ten weeks of age. Anyone wanting to adopt a puppy from Calypso is asked to visit the facility in person to pick it up.
Calypso Pumi Details
- Location: Santa Fe, TX 77510
- Phone: (281) 702-2359
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Calypso Pumi
4. Buttermilk Crik Pumi Kennel
Buttermilk Crik Pumi Kennel is one of the more novice breeders compared to the rest on our list today, being incorporated in 2017. Owned and operated by Sandra S. Cumpian, the breeding facility puts great care into picking healthy parents to produce good litters of puppies.
Puppies at Buttermilk Crik are allowed to explore nature for enrichment. The breeder tests the parents for genetics and hip and elbow dysplasia. It is also registered with the OFA to test for Patellar Luxation. Sandra, the owner, is a member of the Hungarian Pumi Club of America.
Each puppy from Buttermilk Crik comes with a health guarantee based on the nature of the litter. Puppies are also given a small bag of food and one of the litter’s first toys when being adopted. Interested buyers are requested to visit and pick up their prospective puppies by visiting the facility.
Buttermilk Crik Pumi Kennel Details
- Location: 15646 FM 2843 SALADO, 76571-6181 TX, USA
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Buttermilk Crik Pumi Kennel’s Facebook
5. Catskill Pumi
Based in New York, Catskill Pumi is an ethical breeder of Pumi puppies owned by Ildiko Repasi. The puppies here are bred for health, conformation, and performance. Puppies bred at Catskill are raised in a fiber goat and sheep farm where they can practice their herding skills.
Puppies are trained as herding dogs or pets based on the buyers’ wishes. Pumis from Catskill also competes in AKC events. Puppies from Catskill can be adopted at eight weeks of age. The puppies come with a 2-year health guarantee for hip, elbow, and patella.
Parent dogs are also tested for dysplasia. Puppies also get the age-appropriate vaccines, dewormed, and check by a licensed veterinarian before being adopted. Once adopted, owners are provided with the puppies’ AKC registration, microchip, health certificate, some food, and one free grooming session. Puppies can be picked up in New York or shipped via air.
Catskill Pumi Details
- Location: Catskill Mountains, New York (approx. three h 30 min flight from Texas)
- Phone: (917) 488-1015 and (917) 375-7029
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Catskill Pumi
How to Choose a Pumi Breeder in Texas
You may want to keep some of the following in mind when picking where your dog will come from:
- Experience: Most of the breeders on our list today have tons of experience under their belts. Pumi is relatively hardy dogs that are quite intelligent and vocal. Raising Pumi puppies requires expertise from the breeder.
- Legitimacy: Make sure the breeder is legitimate and honest. A lot of Pumi breeders will advertise AKC certifications on their websites. Take a moment to check the validity of those certifications. If you are able, you should also visit the breeding facility at least once before adopting a puppy from there. You should check if the conditions that the puppies and the breeding dogs are kept in are sanitary and safe.
- Reviews and word of mouth: Reviews are a great way to discover information that breeders don’t publish on their websites. People generally tend to be quite truthful unless it’s a false review. So, you may want to do a quick Google search of the breeder you pick. You might also want to speak with previous customers directly. People that have dealt with the breed for the first time may have different insight from the breeders with years of experience.
Questions to Ask Your Pumi Breeder From Texas
As the brand new owner of a Pumi puppy, you should be prepared to care for all of the puppy’s needs. When adopting the puppy, make sure to ask your breeder these important questions:
- Do you provide training and veterinary care after the adoption?
- Do you provide emergency medical care after the adoption?
- How often should I take my Pumi to the groomers?
- How much outside time should I allow my puppy?
- What are the specific food habits of my Pumi puppy?
- What should I do if my puppy does not quiet down even after proper training?
- Can I keep my Pumi in an apartment complex?
Related: Ways to Find a Hypoallergenic Dog Rescue.
Conclusion For The “Best Pumi Breeders in Texas”
All of the Pumi dog breeders Texas has to offer are unique in their own right. The breeders we mentioned today are all experts in their field and have a lot of knowledge. If you plan to adopt a Pumi puppy, the best idea is to learn the proper training techniques to raise them. These dogs are naturally very vocal since they are herding dogs.
So, owning a Pumi in a residential area isn’t the best idea unless you know how to calm one down. You also want to offer your puppy plenty of space to run around and be stimulated. When you decide which breeder you want to go with, make sure to ask them every little question you think is necessary so you can provide the best life for your puppy.
For more guides similar to this list of Pumi breeders in Texas, you can check out:
- Best Akita Breeders in Texas
- Best Italian Greyhound Breeders in Texas
- Best Cavalier King Charles Breeders in Texas
Before you bring home a Pumi puppy from a breeder in Texas, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “Everything You Wanted to Know About Pumi Dogs” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.