If you’re in search of Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio and you think that they’re originated from Australia, then you thought wrong. Unlike the name suggests, Australian Shepherds are a production of the United States. They are commonly known as Aussies. This breed is known for its trainability and obedience. Aussies are traditionally medium-sized dogs. The Australian Shepherd Club of America (ASCA) mentions the heights of Aussies as 19 to 23 inches (48 to 58 cm) for males and 18 to 22 inches (46 to 56 cm) for females.
In colors, Aussies may range from solid red (liver), solid black, red/liver merle, and blue merle. These colors may also have copper or tan points across their face, chest, and legs. Aussies are intelligent and hardworking dogs. However, this breed persistently needs to keep them busy as they refuse to relax in one place. Your search ends for a competitive dog if you find an Aussie, as they are famous for their agility. You can even train this breed to help with your daily household chores like picking up dirty laundry and bringing it to you.
Australian Shepherd Dog Breed Info
There are several unique characteristics of an Australian Shepherd. Some of them are:
- Adaptability: Aussies are not necessarily adaptable to a new environment, especially an apartment. They require space to function well. Aussies are susceptible dogs, and they do not dwell well in a chaotic environment. It isn’t easy to manage Aussies for first-time dog owners. They do not like being alone. However, Aussies can adjust to any weather with ease. They have unique bodily functions that help them accommodate both hot and cold weather. This characteristic allows them to be police dogs.
- Friendliness: Aussies are a friendly breed. They are affectionate towards their family and love to bond with them. They enjoy playing with kids and are energetic when it comes to outdoor activities. Aussies also indulge in playing with other dogs, which is a rare characteristic in dogs. They adore chasing, and they would rather play than fight with other dogs. This breed does not socialize well with strangers and often is difficult around them. Though that is the case, they can learn to behave around strangers with proper training and guidance.
- Trainability: This breed has a high level of trainability. It is simple to instruct Aussies, as they are eager to learn creatures. They have a high amount of intelligence, which helps them in learning quickly. Since they are an eager breed, they have a high potential for mouthiness. They chew or nip anything they find, which makes it crucial to keep an eye on them. They also have an inflated prey drive, i.e., they like to chase anything that moves. Aussies enjoy visiting various places, as they tend to enjoy long rides and distinct locations. They love to run behind anything that catches their attention. Aussies also tend to bark and howl more often than any other breed.
- Physical Needs: Due to their high energy level, they always need to engage in activities to keep themselves busy. When it comes to outdoor activities, you can see them either running around your yard or chasing their tails. This breed demands an enormous amount of exercise to release their energy and keep their bodies healthy. They may develop several diseases if they do not get the required amount of physical activity. Families with kids often have no problems with Aussies, as playing with the kids helps them stay healthy.
How to Take Care of Your Australian Shepherd
Aussies require attention as they are a highly agile dog breed. A yard helps them physically, but it is vital to fence the yard well, as Aussies tend to jump or dig spontaneously. As they are spontaneous, it is advisable to put them on a leash while taking them out on a walk. Aussies need physical activity for at least half an hour to an hour every day to maintain their health. The activities can be in the form of a catch game, frisbee, or other agility exercises. Although, Aussie puppies do not require heavy physical activities, unlike adult Aussies. They respond well to positive reinforcements such as treats or play during their training.
Feeding Aussies are not entirely different from other dog breeds. It is a well-known fact that different dogs require different levels of nourishment. It depends on their size, age, build, metabolism, and activity level. It is advisable to feed Aussies 1.5 to 2.5 cups of high-quality dry food a day and preferable to divide the portions into two meals. Understanding the significance of proper nutrition is vital, as overfeeding can lead to many health problems in Aussies. Being overweight does not do well for any dog breed, let alone for an agile Aussie.
Aussies have a water-resistant coat, which helps them in cold weather or snow. It is sensible to brush their coat once a week, especially during shedding, to avoid hair on furniture surfaces. There can be fewer bath sessions if there is regular brushing. Bathing can happen only when they are dirty. It is crucial to use a shampoo specifically designed for dogs. Nail trimming should be a weekly job as long nails increase the chances of painful scratches. It is advisable to trim the hair around their ears, on their feet, and between their toes, as it can annoy them.
Australian Shepherd Puppies For Sale in Ohio
There are several good Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio. Check it out to see if you’ll find a suitable Australian Shepherd puppy.
1. PuppySpot’s Australian Shepherds for Ohio
If you’re searching for Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio, then PuppySpot should start with PuppySpot. When searching for Australian Shepherd breeders, several issues you’ll likely deal with is being on the waitlist, doing your due diligence on whether you’re dealing with a puppy mill, etc. PuppySpot helps clear all of those problems for you.
When using PuppySpot for your Australian Shepherd, you can use their unique search tools to find available Australian Shepherd puppies of your type. In case you’re worried about dealing with Australian Shepherd puppy mills, then don’t. Australian Shepherd breeders on PuppySpot are all strictly screened by the team to ensure nothing unethical. So before continuing on your journey for Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio, we highly recommend checking out PuppySpot.
- Website: PuppySpot’s Australian Shepherds
2. Divine Aussies
First on the list of Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio is ‘Divine Aussies.’ This breeding company is based in La Rue, Ohio. The company offers high-quality Australian Shepherds but admits its high price range. They provide health certificates for the puppies and assistance throughout the process, justifying the cost. They also propose lifetime training support for the puppies. Before the deal of any puppy, they discipline and potty train each puppy to accommodate in their new family without any troubles. They assure healthy puppies as they guarantee there were no expenses spared in breeding the dogs.
Divine Aussies Details
- Address: 2303 Richwood-Larue Rd, La Rue, OH 43332, United States
- Phone: (508) 340-6619
- Website: Divine Aussies
3. S5 Ranch Aussies
This breeding company works from Hillsboro, Ohio. This company specializes in miniature Australian Shepherds and owns 88 acres of land as a ranch. They spend their day paying attention to their dogs and puppies. They welcome each buyer into their family and offer assistance with every purchase. The company believes the look of their miniature Australian Shepherd sets them apart from the rest of the available breeders. All the puppies they sell can be registered with American Stock Dog Registry. In addition, the company guarantees that all their puppies come from health-tested parents.
S5 Ranch Aussies Details
- Address: 10410 Colliver Rd, Hillsboro, OH 45133, United States
- Phone: (937) 403-7869
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Website: S5 Ranch Aussies
4. Lake Australian Shepherds
This breeding company is based out of Norwich, Ohio. This company specializes in offering Aussie puppies with high intelligence and manners, with beauty as a bonus. The company has been breeding for the last 24 years and guarantees pedigreed Australian Shepherds. They have puppies registered with National Stock Dog Registry, Continental Kennel Club, and American Kennel Club.
Lake Australian Shepherds Details
- Address: 2795 N Moose Eye Rd, Norwich, OH 43767, United States
- Phone: (740) 221-6292
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Website: Lake Australian Shepherds
5. Spirited Shepherds
Last on the list of Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio is ‘Spirited Shepherds.‘ This breeding company is situated in Clarksville, Ohio. This company emphasizes quality over numbers. The owner also works with rescue and retired dogs. If you look at their website, you will notice that they have a list of breeding dogs available with relevant certificates attached to it. This company also used to breed German Shepherds, but in 2018 they discontinued it to focus more on Australian Shepherds.
Spirited Shepherds Details
- Address: 2606 S Clarksville Rd, Clarksville, OH 45113, United States
- Phone: (937) 602-9456
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Website: Spirited Shepherds
If you are looking for a dog breed that loves to engage in games and activities, Australian Shepherd is the right choice for you.
Conclusion For The Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Ohio
Australian Shepherd could make the perfect companion for you and your family. However, if you’re planning to purchase from unknown Australian Shepherd breeders in Ohio, we advise you to do your research before making any financial decisions. There are many puppy mills out there that should be avoided. In the end, we hope you’re able to bring home an Australian Shepherd puppy to begin a new journey in your life.
You can check out Australian Shepherd breeders from other states if that’s more convenient for you:
- Best Australian Shepherd in North Carolina
- Best Australian Shepherd in Illinois
- Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Texas
To learn more about the Australian Shepherd dog breed, watch “Dogs 101: Australian Shepherd” down below: