If you’re searching for Australian Shepherd breeders in Alabama, then here’s what you need to know. When you think about cattle dogs, the herding extraordinarily that come to mind are the Australian Shepherd (also known as the Heelers) and the Border Collie. The Australian Shepherd was developed in California in the 19th century despite its name.
Its ancestry traces its roots to the earliest herding breeds that accompanied the sheep imported from Australia and New Zealand. Soon, news of their incredible herding prowess spread all over the United States across California, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho. The Australian Shepherd was firmly ingrained in the early ranching culture.
Today, the Australian Shepherd remains an effective, efficient cattle dog. However, being one of the most popular breeds in the United States, many remain kept as pets. Australian Shepherds have an extremely high energy level and are regarded as one of the canine Einstein breeds.
With remarkable mental and physical abilities, this breed isn’t for everyone. You’ll need tons of exercise to tire an Aussie Shepherd out, and on top of that, you’ll need to keep him mentally stimulated constantly. A bored Aussie Shepherd is not pleasant and prone to destructive behaviors like barking, chewing, digging, and separation anxiety.
Before scrolling down this list of Australian Shepherd breeders in Alabama, you can check out these other recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best German Shepherd Breeders in Alabama and Best Yorkie Breeders in Alabama.
Australian Shepherd Puppies For Sale in Alabama
If you decide an Australian Shepherd is for you (and you can keep up), we’re happy to share a list of reputable breeders with you. Some might breed for working drive, and some breed pet-quality Aussie Shepherds that might be more a casual owner’s speed.
1. PuppySpot’s Australian Shepherds For Alabama
Since you’re searching for Australian Shepherd breeders in Alabama, we recommend browsing through PuppySpot’s online platform. PuppySpot is a highly trusted dog marketplace where you can browse for available Australian Shepherd puppies right from the comfort of your home in Alabama.
It would be best if you kept in mind that all Australian Shepherd breeders must go through a strict screening process, so you can rest assured knowing that your companion will be safely shipped to your doorstep in Alabama. Before continuing on your journey for an Australian Shepherd puppy for sale in Alabama, check out the link to the marketplace below.
2. Bunkhouse Aussies
Alabama breeder Bunkhouse Aussies’ owner Jan has been in operation for five whopping decades. Her grandmother started raising Aussie Shepherds way back in the 60s, and the love for the breed got passed down through the generations, and now, Jan is firmly in charge of carrying on the family’s legacy.
Bunkhouse’s puppies come registered with the AKC, and some are dually registered with the AKC and ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America). All their puppies have a 2-year health guarantee, and all their breeding adults have had genetic testing.
Microchips are available at a modest fee. Their prices begin at $1,000 and go up depending on colors and markings. On their website, you can see all of their available puppies and adults, and they also have a Facebook page where you can stay up to date.
Bunkhouse Aussies Details
- Website: Bunkhouse Aussies
- Address: 141 Chestnut St N Boaz Alabama
- Phone Number: (256) 744-3061 or (256) 558-6114
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Bunkhouse Aussies
3. Sunset Ranch Aussies
Sunset Ranch is a well-known breeder of lovely Australian Shepherds based out of Alabama. They have been in operation on a 600-acre farm for the past six years, led by Briana, the owner. Briana is a modest hobby breeder that often has AKC-registered Aussie puppies for sale.
Her mission is to find you an ideal Aussie puppy and suitable forever homes for her litters. Every dog departs with all of their vaccines up to date and a registration paper to take with them to their new permanent home. They also offer shipping services for a fee.
Sunset Ranch Aussies Details
- Website: Sunset Ranch Aussies
- Address: 7191 Barker Rd, Athens, AL 35614, United States
- Phone: (256) 771-3415
- Facebook: Sunset Ranch Aussies’ Facebook
- Instagram: Sunset Ranch Aussies’ Instagram
4. T And A Aussies
The lovely Tennessee Valley in Alabama is home to T and A Aussies. They appreciate animals and have made it their mission to place this wonderful breed in loving homes. They want to educate the new Australian Shepherd owners, breed the best canines possible, and ensure these lovely puppies get the love, care, and attention they need for a happy life.
Their puppies are all AKC registered so that you won’t worry about your best tail-wagging friend’s documents. To reserve the puppy of your choice, you must pay a non-refundable deposit.
T And A Aussies Details
- Website: T And A Aussies
- Address: Florence AL
- Phone: (256) 740-7521 or (574) 286-7426
- Email: email@example.com
5. Legacy Farms
Legacy Farms is often thought of as one of Alabama’s greatest Australian Shepherd breeders. The farm has ponies in addition to their AKC-registered litters, and Legacy treats their canines as their family members, socializing them with their kids and letting them grow up in their homes.
Their main goal is to breed stable, even-tempered puppies in the pink of health. All of their fur babies undergo a thorough physical examination and are up-to-date in all their shots. Their Facebook page and blog are good places to stay up to date, as their website is still in its early stages of development.
Legacy Farm Details
- Website: Legacy Farm
- Phone: (205) 789-8199
- Address: Shelby, AL, USA
- Facebook: Legacy Farm’s Facebook
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Blackwater Australian Shepherds
Blackwater aims to breed according to standard, focusing on maintaining the breed’s temperament, structure, drive, and genetics. A member of the AKC and the ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America), they do not seek to breed out the natural herding instincts of the Aussie Shepherds but seek to breed versatile, well-balanced dogs.
Blackwater Australian Shepherds Details
7. Solid Rock Mini American Shepherds
Last on the list of the best Australian Shepherd breeders in Alabama is “Solid Rock Mini American Shepherds.” While not purebred Australian Shepherds, the miniature American Shepherd is a close cousin to the Aussie Shepherd. Solid Rock’s dogs are lovable family pets who have grown up with them in their home.
They enjoy taking their dogs hiking off-leash, and all of the puppies of Solid Rock Mini American are socialized regularly and treated as family members. The puppies ‘ pedigrees are amazing because they are descended from unique lineages.
All good-natured and dependable, their Australian Shepherd puppies all come vaccinated and microchipped. They choose sires and dams for each breeding with remarkable bone structure and dispositions. The breeders ensure that the puppies go to loving, forever homes where they will be treasured unconditionally.
Solid Rock Mini American Shepherd Details
Genetic Health Problems of Australian Shepherds
Because of the incredible popularity of the versatile Australian Shepherd, many breeders across the nation have chosen to specialize in this breed. Unfortunately, breed popularity also opens the door for unscrupulous breeders and puppy mills. Australian Shepherds are predisposed to several genetic problems, including:
- Hip dysplasia: The abnormal development of the hip joint that can cause extreme pain and lameness.
- Epilepsy: Resulting in occasional seizures; epilepsy is a lifelong condition that can be treated with medication.
- Deafness: Like some breeds, Aussie Shepherds are predisposed to early-onset deafness.
- Cataracts: Especially when aging.
- Hypothyroidism: A condition caused by lowered hormones. Symptoms include fatigue, dullness, weakness, and inactivity.
How to Choose An Australian Shepherd Breeder in Alabama
Like any other breed, breeder selection is of utmost importance. The last thing you want to do is get a dog from what is a seemingly an “ethical breeder,” only to find out that the dog came from a puppy mill and your new best friend has a bunch of genetic problems that can cause much financial strain and heartache somewhere down the line.
To weed out puppy mills and backyard breeders, ask a bunch of “deal-breaker” questions, like:
- Do you have a screening process? The baddies don’t have a screening process as they don’t care where their puppies go; all their want is your dollar.
- They sell online on sites like eBay or Craigslist.
- Do you offer a health guarantee, and if so, how many months? Good breeders often offer a one or two-year guarantee against genetic conditions.
- Do you have a spay/neuter clause in your sales contract? Most ethical breeders will require you to sterilize your dog.
- How old are the puppies before they can leave the litter? Without exception, the answer has to be anything above eight weeks. Puppies younger than that cannot be separated from their mothers and littermates.
- What is your return policy should I choose to give up my dog? Most ethical breeders have a lifetime return policy, which means, at any time, if you have to give up your dog, they get first dibs on whether to take their puppy back.
- Can I visit your facilities and see the breeding pair? Many unethical breeders have facilities that leave a lot to be desired. Good breeders are proud of the environment in which their puppies are raised and will likely be happy to show you around.
- Ask a ton of questions about the health and history of the parent pair’s temperament. A lack of knowledge might indicate a lack of time and attention spent on their dogs.
Conclusion For The “Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Alabama”
Australian Shepherds are the epitome of the near-perfect dog, both in mental and physical prowess. However, their soft, floppy ears and adorable expression bely the fanatical working dogs that they are. They aren’t for everyone and will certainly not suit sedentary lifestyles. If you are an active person that wants a hiking, running, or biking companion, then the Aussie Shepherd might be your new best friend.
For more guides similar to this list of Australian Shepherd breeders in Alabama, you can check out:
- Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Utah
- Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Indiana
- Best Australian Shepherd Breeders in Oregon
Before you bring home an Australian Shepherd puppy from a breeder in Alabama, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “10 Things Only Australian Shepherd Dog Owners Understand” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.