If you’re searching for Whippet breeders in California, then here’s what you need to know. Adding a new puppy to the family can be a fun and exciting adventure. Which puppy breed will you choose?
Where will you get your puppy? Understanding the dog breed you are interested in helps you better understand if they will be a good fit with your family. Finding a reputable breeder helps ensure you will receive a healthy, happy puppy.
Here we introduce you to the Whippet breed, explain the different types of dog breeders, and give you a list of some of the top Whippet breeders in California to help with your search for the perfect puppy.
Learn About The Whippet Dog Breed
Whippets are a tall but slim dog breed related to the greyhounds. These medium-sized dogs were initially bred to chase small prey. While they are gentle with kids, seniors, and other dogs, small cats or other animals may spark their prey instinct, and they may give chase.
Whippets can stand between 18-22 inches and weigh between 25-40 pounds. They have a very slim appearance that often leaves people thinking they are underweight. However, a healthy adult Whippet will have two to four visible vertebrae at a healthy weight.
While many dog breed standards include specific colors, the Whippet can come in a wide variety, including black, brown, chocolate, cream, fawn, gray, liver, red, and white.
They can come in various patterns as well, such as bicolor, brindle, flecked, tuxedo, and liver and tan. However, if you find a merle, tricolor, or harlequin Whippet, this is a mixed breed.
Whippets do not require a lot of exercises and are happy to lounge on the couch and snuggle with their humans. However, they are burst exercisers, meaning they like a good, short game of fetch regularly.
What Makes a Reputable Whippet Breeder For California?
When looking for a new Whippet to add to your family, the best place to start is with a reputable breeder. But, how do you know you are finding a reputable breeder? Here we break down the different types of breeders and what to look for as you search for your new puppy.
- Reputable Breeder: Reputable breeders put the health and wellbeing of their dogs and puppies first. In most cases, breeding dogs undergo DNA testing to eliminate the risk of genetic conditions in their breeding program. In addition, many reputable breeders offer genetic health guarantees on all their puppies. Dogs and puppies are raised in the home, with puppies undergoing early socialization and, in some cases, early training. Litters are planned and often only occur a couple of times a year, meaning you may need to be on a waiting list for upcoming litters. In addition, reputable breeders typically breed one or maybe two different dog breeds. This allows them to focus on one breed, giving them a better understanding of the breed.
- Puppy Mills: A puppy mill often offers multiple different breeds and breeds their dogs with the sole purpose of turning a profit. In most cases, dogs do not undergo health testing and are often overbred. There is a greater risk of puppies with genetic conditions or health conditions. Puppies may not receive their initial vaccinations or health checks either. Because they do this for profit, they usually always have puppies available.
- Backyard Breeders: These breeders fall between reputable breeders and puppy mills. Backyard breeders typically love their dogs and breed to share that love with other families. However, these dogs are often not DNA tested, and puppies are at risk of genetic conditions. In addition, while the puppies typically live in the home with the breeders, they may not undergo health checks or receive vaccinations.
Whippet Puppies For Sale in California
Once you decide the Whippet is the breed for you, finding the right breeder is your next step. Here we highlight some of the top Whippet breeders in California to help you with your search.
1. PuppySpot’s Whippets For California
Since you’re searching for Whippet breeders in California, then PuppySpot is a recommended go-to because of its efficiency. In addition, by using PuppySpot, you can find available Whippet puppies for sale all across the United States.
You can also find other available dog breeders that are similar to the Whippet. Whippet breeders on this platform are all strictly screened by the team of PuppySpot. So, before you continue on your search for a Whippet puppy in California, check out the link below.
- Website: PuppySpot’s Whippets
2. TripleStar Hounds
Located in the Los Angeles area, TripleStar Hounds focuses on the health, temperament, type, and soundness of their Whippets. All their breeding dogs are OFA tested, and they work hard to promote the best of the Whippet standard. All their dogs live within the home and are a part of their family, including the well-socialized puppies before adoption.
They also take the time to get to know potential puppy parents to find the right puppy for every family. They are members of the American Whippet Club.
TripleStar Hounds Details
- Location: Los Angeles, California
- Facebook: TripleStar Hounds
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: TripleStar Hounds
3. Summit Whippets
Located in Fallbrook, California, Summit Whippets is a small family breeder that raises all their dogs in their home, considering them all part of the family.
They have been active with the Whippet breed since 1989, including showing and lure coursing Whippets. They are members of the American Whippet Club and are rated by them as a top Whippet breeder.
Summit Whippets Details
- Location: Fallbrook, California
- Phone: (760) 723-1799
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Summit Whippets
4. Limerick Irish Wolfhounds & Whippets
With multiple locations in San Martin, San Francisco, and Biggs, California, Limerick raises high-quality Irish Wolfhounds and Whippets.
They have been breeding Whippets since the 1980s and offer a wealth of breed information. In addition, they strongly believe in health testing to promote the breeds, with all breeding dogs being OFA Certified Hips and Elbows.
Limerick Irish Wolfhounds & Whippets Details
- Location: San Martin, San Francisco, and Biggs, California
- Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Website: Limerick Irish Wolfhounds & Whippets
5. Elidas Whippets and Papillons
Located in the Inland Empire, Elidas Whippets and Papillons specialize in raising championship Whippets and Papillons. Owner Shellie Juden is a member of the American Whippet Club and strives to produce healthy and happy puppies that are ready for the show ring and loved by their human family.
Elidas Whippets and Papillons Details
- Location: Inland Empire, California
- Phone: (951) 926-6668
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Elidas Whippets and Papillons
6. Watch Me Whippets
Last on the list of Whippet breeders in California is “Watch Me Whippets.” Founded in 1986, Watch Me Whippets is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, and specializes in raising champion Whippets.
Owners Jeanne and Kathy are both members of the American Whippet Club and registered American Kennel Club Breeders of Merit, where they follow all recommended heath screens for their breeding dogs. In addition, they have extensive breed knowledge and are always available to answer your questions about the Whippet.
Watch Me Whippets Details
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
- Phone: (702) 561-0838
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Watch Me Whippets
Conclusion For The “Best Whippet Breeders in California”
Whippets are an amazing dog breed to raise in your home. However, our team at We Love Doodles has some advice for you. You should always do your research on each breeder, so it’ll help you prepare in advance and help you know who you’re dealing with.
It’s essential to keep an eye out for any signs of red flags during your journey for a Whippet puppy. With that in mind, we hope this list of Whippet breeders in California will help you find a companion quicker.
For more breeder recommendations in California, feel free to check out:
- Best Dalmatian Breeders in California
- Best Pomsky Breeders in California
- Best Pointer Breeders in California
Learn more about the Whippet dog breed by watching “Whippet Dog Breed Information” down below: