Are you looking for the best Great Dane rescues in the United States? Before bringing a Great Dane into your home, you should know a few things. The American Kennel Club recognizes 195 dog breeds; among those, the Great Dane is the 17th most popular pet dog in the United States.
At 71 to 76 cm tall, the Great Dane is one of the biggest dogs in the world, yet, it is one of the sweetest animals. Its gentle and loving personality, playfulness, and intelligence belies its imposing appearance and make it one of the most sought-after pets.
A well-bred Great Dane is the best house pet; it will keep you safe, shower you with affection, and accompany you in all your adventures. Are you ready to share your space with a gentle giant that will win over your heart in no time? Here are a few notable rescues that can help you get one.
Before you scroll down this list of Great Dane rescues in the United States, you can check out these other dog rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Pomsky Rescues in the United States and Best Dachshund Rescues in the United States.
Find a Great Dane Rescue Shelter Near Me in the United States
Our team at We Love Doodles created and compiled this list of the best Great Dane rescues in the United States with available dogs for adoption.
1. Great Dane Rescue of Northern California – California
In 1987, Great Dane aficionados Betty Thomas and Colleen Leahy formed Great Dane Rescues in Northern California as a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt charity. The founders and volunteers work tirelessly to find homes forever for Great Danes who have been abused, abandoned, or mistreated in Northern California and Nevada.
The rescue group makes great efforts to identify, understand, and meet the unique requirements of the rescued dogs, although they depend primarily on contributions to run their operations. All dogs are housed in kennels or foster homes until the rescue finds them suitable permanent accommodation.
Before being put up for adoption, all rescued dogs undergo a complete physical and behavioral evaluation. The dogs are spayed and neutered, given vaccinations, and provided with any other medical treatment if required. Furthermore, the rescue avails the services of a canine behaviorist and trainer to evaluate the behavior and temperament of a dog.
The rescue also takes up the recommended behavior-correcting training if the expert recommends it. Any person interested in adopting a rescued Great Dane will undergo an extensive interview and screening process. Adopters must be at least 18 years old and have enough financial means to take care of the dog.
To adopt a Great Dane from GDRNC, you must take the following steps:
- Browse the adoptable dogs available on the website.
- If you find a Dane you like, fill out the adoption application and wait for the rescue to get in touch. It can take them 24 – 72 hours.
Great Dane Rescue of Northern California Details
- Website: Great Dane Rescue of Northern California
- Address: 7691 Country Rd Loomis, Northern California, United States
- Postal Code: 95650
- Contact Number: (916) 652-6444
2. Waters Edge Great Dane Rescue, Inc. – South Carolina
Waters Edge Great Dane Rescue, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization rescues and rehomes Great Danes in South Carolina. All adoptable Waters Edge Great Dane Rescue, Inc. Great Danes are from shelters, streets, or owner surrenders.
To adopt a Great Dane from this rescue, you must do the following:
- Read the adoption requirements and submit the complete electronic adoption application if you meet the criteria.
- Get ready for a phone interview – the rescue’s adoption coordinator will contact you for a phone interview after evaluating your application. It can take time, so sit tight and be patient.
- After the phone interview, the adoption coordinator will visit your residence and verify the references you provided.
- If everything checks out, you will be approved for adoption. At this time, you can visit the website and choose a dog you like. Alternatively, the rescue may recommend a dog to you.
- Once a dog is chosen, you can visit the rescue’s premises to meet the dog and finalize adoption by signing the contract and paying the fee.
The duration of this process might vary from one week to one month. When there are numerous authorized adopters for a single dog, the organization will often choose the first one who applies. To increase your chances of approval, ensure that you meet the rescue’s adoption requirements.
- Prospective adopters need to be at least 25 years old.
- Adopters should have fenced yards.
- Adopters should keep the dog as an indoor pet.
- If adopters have pets, they must be spayed/neutered, taken to the vet once a year, and on heartworm preventatives.
- If the adopter has kids, they must be 6 years or older. However, this will be judged case-to-case basis, and exceptions are allowed.
- The adopter must bring their family (those living in the house) and pets (if any) to the meet and greet.
- The adopter must bring Great Dane bloat busters to the meet and greet.
Waters Edge Great Dane Rescue, Inc. Details
- Website: Waters Edge Great Dane Rescue, Inc.
- Address: 712 Bonneau, South Carolina
- Postal Code: 29431
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Social Media: Facebook and Instagram
3. Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love – North Carolina
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love is a Ruff Love Rescue project specializing in rescuing and rehabilitating Great Danes. Since beginning operations in 2009, this rescue has helped over 725 dogs, including purebred and mixed-breed Danes and canines with disability.
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love believes in quality over quantity; they want to handle each dog rescue in the best manner, even if it takes time and money. Their ultimate goal is to place dogs in loving, permanent homes. This rescue has a few core values to guide their work.
- Rescued dogs should be placed in foster care instead of kennels. Dogs raised in foster care adjust quickly in their new homes, and it reduces the chances of returns.
- All dogs must be given a fair and equal chance of adoption, irrespective of health or medical history. The rescue strives just as hard to find a suitable home for a dog with medical issues as for a healthy dog.
- The rescue provides complete information about the dog’s health and any continuing medical treatment to adopters before adoption. The rescue doesn’t believe in hiding information.
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love has a rigorous adoption process to shortlist the applicants most suitable for its dogs.
Try this little test to see whether you meet their criteria:
- Do you have a fenced yard? You’ll need to install a fence if you don’t have one. The rescue can waive this condition case-to-case basis if there are extenuating circumstances. If you need this condition waived, mention the reason in your application, and the volunteers will contact you for further discussion.
- Are your existing pets spayed or neutered? The rescue will not allow adoption if existing pets are not desexed.
- Will the dog live inside your home? The rescue will not allow adoption if you plan to keep the dog outside.
You can apply for adoption on the website if you meet this criterion. You’ll need to fill out the contact form to register your interest, after which the rescue will send you the application form.
If the application is approved, the rescue volunteers will check the references you provided, conduct a phone interview, and visit your residence to determine your suitability for adoption.
The adoption fee for Great Danes between 0 and 5 years is $450, and $350 for dogs older than 6. Visit their website to see the Great Danes available for adoption. A detailed biography of each dog is provided, including their background and unique characteristics.
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love Details
- Website: Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love
- Address: Iron Station, North Carolina
- Phone Number: (704) 584-9257
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Facebook and Instagram
4. Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. – Multiple States
The Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. rescues and rehomes Great Danes and other mixed-Dane dogs throughout Maryland, Delaware, Washington, DC, Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York.
To get a Great Dane from Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc., you must fulfill the following criterion:
- It would be best if you kept the dog indoors
- Indoor stairs should be nonslip
- The perimeter of the property must be fenced off
- Your existing pets should be spayed or neutered
- You must bring the existing pets to the meet and greet
- All family members must be willing to take care of the dog and should come to the meet and greet.
Do you fulfill the above criteria?
You can apply to adopt a dog from Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. in the following steps:
- Fill out and submit the pre-adoption application
- Rescue volunteers will call you for a phone interview
- If you are shortlisted after the interview. The volunteer will email you the adoption application.
- The rescue volunteers will follow up with the references you provided in the application and visit your home for inspection. They will see whether your home is suitable for a Great Dane.
- If you and your home are approved, you can choose a dog from the adoptable dogs and visit the premises for a meet and greet.
- Finally, you can pay an adoption fee and sign the adoption contract.
This strict need for a perimeter fence comes into play unless you can provide evidence that you are an especially responsible dog owner. If the layout of your land doesn’t allow for a fence, the rescue will ask you to choose a dog older than 2 years.
If you want to surrender your Great Dane, Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. will accept it under the following conditions:
- Your dog must pass the aggression evaluation.
- Your dog mustn’t have a history of a bite.
- Sign a surrender contract that gives the rescue full ownership of the dog.
- Your dog must have a rabies vaccine.
- You should provide all available medical records.
Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. Details
- Website: Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc.
- Address: 285 Hanover, Maryland
- Postcode: 21076
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Social Media: Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc.’s Facebook
5. Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc. – Multiple States
By placing 1,104 Great Danes in new homes, Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc. has shown itself adept at pet rescue and rehabilitation. Apart from Florida, Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc. serves Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Carolina, and Tennessee.
Their efforts focus on getting the word out about the significance of vaccinating and spaying or neutering Great Danes. When placing an adopted Great Dane, Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc. prioritizes locating a home that will be a suitable match for the dog.
They have a nine-step adoption procedure, which includes the following:
- Adoption application
- Inspecting the property documents
- Checking vet references
- Inspecting the residence
- An interview via phone
- Matching a Great Dane to the adopter
- Meet and greet with the dog
- Issuing an initial contract
- Finalizing the Contract
The adoption application form on their site is straightforward, with cues for whether or not the prospective pet should live in a household with cats, toddlers, other dogs, or persons with disabilities.
Their adoption fee varies from dog to dog, but typically it is $400 for puppies, $350 for young adults, and $300 for adults. The adoption fee covers the cost of spaying or neutering procedures, vaccination, deworming, and microchip procedure.
Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc. Details
- Website: Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Inc.
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Pensacola, Florida
- Social Media: Facebook and Instagram
6. Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue – Minnesota
Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue was established in 2008 to aid Great Danes needing new homes in Minnesota, Iowa, North and South Dakota, and Wisconsin. United Maryland Great Dane Rescue provides medical care, socialization, and therapy to Great Danes in need before adoption.
You can apply even if you don’t have a specific puppy in mind to get on the adoption list. Submit your application along with a $25 application fee to be considered. Evaluating the application may take 3 to 8 weeks, so you’ll have to be patient. Adoption fees at Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue are given below.
These fees are exclusive of sales tax:
- Under 6 months: $550
- 6 months to 6 years: $450
- 6 years and older: $250
- Under 6 months special needs: $350
- Over 6 months special needs: $250
Once your application has been approved, a volunteer will schedule an in-person or video home visit, telephonic interview, and meet and greet to complete the adoption.
Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Details
- Website: Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue
- Address: 21485 Eagan, Minnesota
- Phone Number: (763) 210-1978
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Social Media: Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue’s Facebook
7. North West Great Dane Rescue – Multiple States
The Northwest Great Dane Dog Rescue operates in multiple northwestern United States in states like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. The rescue has saved and rehomed 120 Danes since its inception in 2014.
Their specific criteria are as follows if you want to adopt any of their policies:
- Adopters must have a fenced yard.
- If you already have other dogs, you must adopt a Great Dane of the opposite gender.
- A deposit is necessary to adopt a puppy and will be returned to you after you prove that your dog has been desexed.
- To complete your online application, you will need to provide the names and contact information of everyone in your home, including pets.
- You must provide two personal and vet references.
- If your application is approved, you’ll be invited to join an exclusive Facebook group for adopters. You may choose one of their Great Danes and spend the night caring for it.
If all goes as planned, there will be a two-week trial period. But you get your money back if the adoption doesn’t work out.
Northwest Great Dane Rescue Details
- Website: Northwest Great Dane Rescue
- Address: 2103 Deer Park, Washington
- Postal Code: 99006
- Social Media: Northwest Great Dane Rescue’s Facebook
8. White Kisses Great Dane Rescue – Texas
White Kisses Great Dane Rescue rescues, rehabilitates, and rehomes Great Danes and Great Dane mixes in Texas and surrounding areas. While they rehome healthy dogs, they focus on finding new homes for disabled Great Danes. They also raise awareness about double merle dogs.
They inform owners that while double merle dogs may suffer from certain medical conditions, they are still adaptable, trainable, and rewarding. Since most of their Great Danes have some medical ailment or impairment, they take extra care to choose potential adopters.
Their eligibility criterion is as follows:
- It would be best if you were 21 or older to adopt
- If you rent, you must show proof of landlord’s permission to keep a Great Dane
- All animals in your homes must be vaccinated and desexed
- You must have the financial capability to support a Great Dane
If you are eligible, apply to adopt a dog via the following steps:
- Submit your form using the online application along with a $20 fee.
- A volunteer will contact you by phone to discuss the details within 2 to 5 days.
- Afterward, a home and pet check will be conducted.
- Once you get approval, you’ll need to pay the fee and sign the contract.
All adoptable dogs at White Kisses Great Dane Rescue have been checked for heartworms and given prophylactic treatment if necessary. They’ve been microchipped, vet-checked, and immunized.
White Kisses Great Dane Rescue Details
- Website: White Kisses Great Dane Rescue
- Address: Lubbock, Texas
- Phone Number: (806) 831-1377
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: White Kisses Great Dane Rescue’s Facebook
9. Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab – Texas
Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab is a dog and puppy rescue in the United States that serve Texas. Along with its rescue program, Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab tackle concerns like needless euthanasia, pet dog overpopulation, and neglect.
They teach pet owners how to care for their animals’ health properly. The organization’s Facebook page now features bios of the adoptable dogs. If a Great Dane catches your eye, fill up their lengthy online application form and be prepared to provide three references.
In addition, there is a $20 application fee, which is not refundable under any circumstances. The organization is dedicated to providing caring homes for the animals they save. The final clearance is not based on who applies first but instead on who is the best fit for the Great Dane after a series of tests and visits.
They ensure that all dogs are given a complete head-to-toe physical and behavioral examination so they may begin their new lives with you in peak physical shape. All dogs get a microchip, heartworm prevention medicine, and training.
Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab Details
- Website: Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab
- Address: 5895 Longview, Texas
- Postal code: 75608
- Phone Number: (903) 570-8097
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Social Media: Save Rocky the Great Dane Rescue and Rehab’s Facebook
10. The Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary – Minnesota & Wisconsin
The next on the list of pet rescues in the United States is the Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary. You can apply to adopt a dog by submitting an online application and paying the $20 application fee (non-refundable).
The approval procedure can take anywhere from two weeks to six weeks. However, the process might proceed more swiftly if your references are prepared to speak with the rescue and your answers are complete.
If your adoption application is approved, you’ll be able to choose a Great Dane from the adoptable dogs. If you haven’t found a pet that works for you after three months, your name will remain on a registry of approved adopters.
If you want to expand your options, you may also request that they forward your information to another charity specializing in legal Great Dane rescue. The Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary truly care about the breed and houses unadoptable Great Danes at the Sanctuary for life.
The Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary Details
- Website: The Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary
- Address: Siren, Wisconsin
- Phone Number: (320) 318-0178
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: The Great Dane Rescue and Sanctuary’s Facebook
11. One Dane at a Time – California
One Dane at a Time is the last on our list of Great Dane rescues in the United States. The founder’s godfather convinced him to take in his rescued Great Dane, which led to the formation of this non-profit organization. The organization has since placed scores of Great Danes with loving families.
The shelter and the rescued canines are both looked after by volunteers. Additionally, they arrange for trainers, veterinarians, and other specialists to work with the rescued Danes in California.
Currently, they only allow adoptions to those who live in California, but Residents outside California can adopt Great Danes if they meet specific criteria. All applicants must be at least 21 years old and mustn’t have children under 5.
After inspecting your home and conducting a telephonic interview, the rescue will approve you for adoption. Dog adoption varies, but they are generally less than $600.
One Dane at a Time Details
- Website: One Dane at a Time
- Address: Tehachapi, California
- Contact Number: (661) 752-5352
- Email Address: email@example.com
Conclusion For The “Best Great Dane Rescues in the United States”
Please don’t decide to adopt a Great Dane lightly; it will change your life forever. Compared to buying, adoption is more generous and economical. Spending less on pricey commercial breeders frees up funds for Great Dane rescue organizations.
When choosing a Great Dane rescue, the adoption process of the organization should take precedence. Rescues carefully screen adopters since most Great Danes up for adoption will be joining their new family for the second time.
Interviews, references, pictures of the adoptive home and in-person visits are commonplace, as seen by our observations at many shelters. The meticulous process is something to anticipate rather than dread since it guarantees that you will find your right match and be happy together.
Secondly, the rescue nearest you should be your first consideration. It becomes easier to visit the rescue, meet the volunteers and dogs, and pick up the puppy if the rescue is near.
Most importantly, most rescues only adoptions within a certain geographic area and those far away from you may not allow you to adopt. We hope the list of rescues above helps you find an excellent Great Dane.
For more guides similar to this list of Great Dane rescues in the United States, you can check out these other dog rescue shelter recommendations from our team:
- Best Great Dane Rescues in Ohio
- Best Great Dane Rescues in Arizona
- Best Great Dane Rescues in Oregon
Before you adopt a Great Dane companion from a rescue shelter in the United States, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “Things Nobody Tells You About Owning a Great Dane” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.