Here’s what you need to know if you’re searching for the best Cocker Spaniel rescues in California. Cocker Spaniels are widely loved across the globe. However, Californians take things to the next level.
There are plenty of Cocker Spaniel rescues in California that is committed to the rehabilitation of the breed. Anyone who has walked the streets of San Diego or Los Angeles is likely to have spotted a Cocker Spaniel.
The main reason why the breed is incredibly popular is that it is family-friendly. Its playful yet gentle nature makes it a must-have.
Besides, Cockers have incredible hair and enjoy meeting new people. This means that you can take your prospective pet with you wherever you go. It will help keep you company so that you never experience loneliness.
Before scrolling down this list of Cocker Spaniel rescues in California, check out these other recommendations from the state: Best Dog Breeders in California and Best French Bulldog Rescues in California.
Find a Cocker Spaniel Rescue Near Me in California
If you are looking to adopt a Cocker Spaniel, there is bound to be a puppy rescue in California just for you. To help you with your search, here are some of the best pet rescues.
Dog Product Recommendations: Best Shock Collar For Dogs Barking and Best Tug Toys For Dogs.
1. NorCal Cocker Rescue
NorCal Cocker Rescue Details
- Website: NorCal Cocker Rescue
- Address / Location: 3450 Palmer Drive Ste. 4-261, Cameron Park, Sacramento, California
- Phone Number: (408) 761-5414
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Media: Facebook
2. Camp Cocker
The next puppy rescue in California that you need to know about is Camp Cocker. It is a non-profit organization that runs on donations. This is why it welcomes all types of donations. Each penny you donate goes towards helping save Cocker Spaniels and other dog breeds.
The main objective of the pet rescue is to save Cockers that are held in kill shelters. Since Cockers are prone to serious medical issues, they end up in kill shelters more than other breeds. However, Camp Cocker strives to provide these innocent creatures with necessary medical procedures so that they get to lead happy and healthy lives.
Its adoption process is rather straightforward and clarifies every single thing. If you have found an available dog that you like, you can apply. As the application determines whether you would be selected or not, you need to take out some time to go through it.
If your application is accepted, a volunteer will reach out to you for a phone interview. The interview will allow the pet rescue to learn more about your expectations. Therefore, you should ask as many questions as you want. Keep in mind that every adult who resides on the property would need to appear for the interview.
The volunteer will provide valuable nutrition guidance to ensure that your puppy lives a long, healthy life. Then, a home safety check would be scheduled to determine if your home is the right fit for the dog. That is about it. Once you are approved, the pet center will arrange the logistics.
Camp Cocker Details
- Website: Camp Cocker
- Address / Location: 14320 Ventura Blvd, 236 Sherman Oaks, California
- Phone Number: (800) 431-5911
- Email: CampCockerInformation@gmail.com
- Social Media: Instagram
3. San Diego Spaniel Rescue
San Diego Spaniel Rescue is known for helping Cocker Spaniels in the Golden State. This all-volunteer organization provides rescue, adoption, medical, fostering, and breed education services for homeless, abandoned, and abused Cocker Spaniels. Founded in 2002, San Diego Spaniel Rescue has helped over 1,000 dogs and continues to save lives.
With a strong volunteer network, it has done the unimaginable. In addition to rescuing dogs in San Diego, it also helps Cockers in Los Angeles and Orange County. Since it is IRS-recognized and a registered non-profit, your donations to the pet rescue are tax-deductible.
It is recognized/affiliated with the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America, Spaniel Club of Orange County, and American Spaniel Club. You can fill out their detailed adoption form that asks you about your lifestyle and requirements.
San Diego Spaniel Rescue Details
- Website: San Diego Spaniel Rescue
- Address / Location: P.O. Box 179043 San Diego, California
- Phone Number: (619) 922-0545
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram
4. Second Chance Cocker Rescue
Last on the list of Cocker Spaniel rescues in California is Second Chance Cocker Rescue. It is run by volunteers who love Cockers and want to help them the perfect home. Each dog is neutered, vaccinated, and receives a vet exam. In addition to this, all dogs are also behavior tested to ensure that each adopter gets the best puppy.
It even provides a sanctuary home to chronically ill and older dogs. You can check their available dogs if you want to adopt. Otherwise, you can become a donor, volunteer, or foster parent.
Second Chance Cocker Rescue Details
- Website: Second Chance Cocker Rescue
- Address / Location: Second Chance Sanctuary9785 Peppermint Creek Road, Jamestown, California
- Phone Number: (805) 687-4674
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Media: Facebook
How to Choose The Best Cocker Spaniel Rescue in California
Selecting a pet rescue center to adopt a Cocker Spaniel is not easy. The following are some of the things that you should consider ensuring that you make the right decision:
- Reputation: The first thing that you should determine is the reputation of each rescue center. It will allow you to pick a rescue that cares about its reputation and offers all the support you need when adopting a Cocker. You can look up online reviews to find out what people have to say.
- Health Checks: Next, the pet rescue center must perform health checks to ensure that the dog assesses its medical condition. It is no secret that rescue dogs may suffer from medical conditions that require special care. However, a pet parent must be informed about this upfront to provide care willingly and in time.
- Health Warranties: To be on the safe side, you also need the pet rescue center to provide health warranties. As caring for a Cocker can prove costly, health warranties are necessary.
- DNA Testing: In addition to the above, you also require DNA testing as you never know which condition the dog might inherit. Hence, the pet rescue should provide you with the DNA results of the dogs available for adoption.
- Vaccinations: The dog rescue center must vaccinate its puppies. Otherwise, the puppy you adopt would end up suffering from an illness. Therefore, always choose an adoption center that vaccinates its dog as a failure to vaccinate can result in health complications down the road.
- Socialization: Lastly, you must choose a rescue center that keeps its dogs socialized. It would ensure that the dog you adopt does not have any communication issues and can adjust in your home. You can easily find out if the dog has communication issues by visiting the rescue center and spending some time with the dog.
More Information About Cocker Spaniel Rescues in California
What Is the Cost of Dog Adoption in California?
Adopting a Cocker Spaniel will cost you around $450 to $700. You need to pay adoption fees because it is needed for keeping the dog rescue center running. Otherwise, it would struggle to meet expenses and would not do its job. Besides, the adoption fees cover vaccination, vet exams, and more.
Are There Cocker Spaniels in California?
There are plenty of Cocker Spaniels in the state for just about everyone. Hence, you should have no trouble finding the ideal dog for your home. All you have to do is check out the available dogs for adoption and reach out to the pet rescue center.
Can California Residents Get A Dog?
Close to 40% of Californian households have at least one dog. This shows just how accepting the environment is for dog owners. People adopt dogs as they know that companionship can help reduce depression, the risk of heart attacks, and lower blood pressure.
Conclusion For The “Best Cocker Spaniel Rescues in California”
Now that you know the best rescue centers in California for Cocker Spaniels, you need to contact the one that you find suitable. We have only included the top organizations in our post to ensure that you have a great experience.
Welcoming a rescued Cocker Spaniel into your home is possibly the best decision that you can make. By providing a safe environment, you get to spread the love. Besides, it can be highly rewarding to own a dog.
For more guides similar to this list of Cocker Spaniel rescues in California, you can check out:
- Best Cocker Spaniel Breeders in Massachusetts
- Best Cocker Spaniel Breeders in New York
- Best Dog Rescues in Southern California
Before you adopt a Cocker Spaniel from a rescue shelter in California, you can learn more about the breed by watching “Cocker Spaniel Dog Breed Guide” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.