Goldendoodles are one of the cutest and most adorable dogs on the planet with their curls and teddy bear faces. In order to get your Goldendoodle to peak cuteness, you’re going to have to groom your Dood’s hair (i.e. daily brushing and regular haircuts) or your Goldendoodle’s hair will get matted and you’ll have to shave it all off. This is due to the fact that most Goldendoodles don’t shed much because of the curly coats and hypoallergenic features that they inherit from the Standard Poodle. Thus, we are here today to give you a representation of the best types of Goldendoodle haircuts.
1. Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut / Puppy Cut
The Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut, also known as the Goldendoodle Puppy Cut, is by far the most popular type of Goldendoodle haircut. The Teddy Bear haircut gives the Goldendoodle short hair all-around between 1-2 inches in length — some groomers will cut down to 3/4 inch length if you want a shorter haired look and don’t want to go to the groomers as often. The standard puppy cut looks great and is cute on many different types of curly haired dogs.
There’s no real standard definition to the Teddy Bear Cut, so groomers will often ask the hair length you want. This trim also typically includes a short hair trim around ears, full-face trim around the eyes, clipped and non-feathered tail cut and a round feet trimming. If this is the first time your Goldendoodle is getting groomed, we highly recommend that you get the Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Haircut.
Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut features:
- Most common Goldendoodle haircut
- Evenly shaved throughout the body – Approximately 1-2 inches in hair length
- Easy to bathe and clean your dog
- A Goldendoodle short hair style cut
- Ideal to prevent matted curly hair
- Goldendoodle looks younger with a fluffy and smooth look
2. Goldendoodle Lion Cut
The Goldendoodle lion cut is one of the funniest and most unique types of Goldendoodle haircuts! This is a must-try haircut for all Goldendoodle owners! If you don’t like the Goldendoodle lion haircut you can always revert back to the Goldendoodle Puppy haircut. The Goldendoodle lion cut is mostly seen on different types of purse dogs like Pomeranians, but recently started expanding out to Goldendoodles and Labradoodles because of lion colored golden curly hair. This also makes your Goldendoodle look like a real-life lion.
The goal of the Goldendoodle lion cut is to make your dog look like a lion. This is done by shaving the hair on the back half of the dog to approximately 1/4 inch in length and doing a light trim around the dogs face. In order to successfully achieve the Goldendoodle lion cut, you have to leave hair on the dogs tail, feet, and around the chest area.
P.S. Neighbors and other dogs may think you bought a lion. There was once a 911 call because someone thought a Labradoodle was a lion.
Goldendoodle Lion Cut features:
- The best looking dog in the neighborhood and at the dog park – stylish, bold, and predator-like look.
- Brings lots of smiles to kids and adults faces as you pass by
- Medium maintenance with lots of brushing on the long-haired sections (mane, feet, tail, chest) to prevent matting.
- The Goldendoodle short hair sections are easy to maintain
- Long hair around the mane, tail, and paws. Short hair everywhere else.
Best Selling Goldendoodle Brush:
3. Goldendoodle Mohawk
The Goldendoodle mohawk cut gives your dog the boldest personality on the block. Not only is the Goldendoodle mohawk cut stylish, but its also easy to maintain.
There are two ways do the Goldendoodle Mohawk cut:
- Leave longer hair on the top of the head and around the ears (2-4 inches). Goldendoodle Teddy Bear cut all around the rest of the body (1-inch length).
- Leave longer hair from the top of the head extending all the way down to the tail. Goldendoodle Teddy Bear cut all around the rest of the body.
People also color their Goldendoodle’s mohawk with their favorite color of safe and non-toxic Kool-Aid. Buy a packet of Kool-Aid, add some water, and apply it to your dog’s hair for some extra flash.
Goldendoodle Mohawk Cut features:
- New hip style of Goldendoodle haircut.
- Relatively easy to maintain since it’s mostly a Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut with some hair on top.
- Easily add some color to your Goldendoodle by coloring the hair on the top of the head.
- Long hair on top of the head, short everywhere else. Optional: Long hair down the body to the tail.
4. Goldendoodle Lamb Cut
The Goldendoodle lamb cut started as a poodle trend, but let’s be honest, it looks much better on a Goldendoodle. The Goldendoodle lamb cut is an adventurous and stylish cut that is relatively easy to maintain. This is one of my personal favorite types of Goldendoodle haircuts.
To achieve the lamb cut, you must give your dog the Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut around it’s body (1 inch length) but leave the hair around the legs longer (2-4 inches). The Goldendoodle lamb cut is pretty hilarious because your dogs leg hair will bounce up and down as they run outside.
There are several variations of the Goldendoodle lamb cut. Some people leave the hair on legs and around the ears while trimming the body. Others leave the hair long on the legs and tail. Experiment new styles with your Goldendoodle and make them look gorgeous.
Goldendoodle Lamb Cut features:
- Adventurous looking hair
- Easy to maintain since it’s a variation of the Goldendoodle Teddy Bear Cut
- Prevents matted hair around the body
- Short hair around the body. Long hair around the legs, ears, and top of the head.
5. Goldendoodle Kennel Cut
I’m not the biggest fan of the Goldendoodle kennel cut since it doesn’t give your dood much personality and stylish looks. However, the kennel cut is one of the most popular types of Goldendoodle haircuts because its the easiest cut to maintain, easiest to clean, and keeps your Goldendoodle cool during the summer months. The Goldendoodle kennel cut is the shortest common haircut for Goldendoodles aside from a complete shaving.
The Goldendoodle kennel cut is basically a very short and even shave around your dogs body (less than 1 inch). This cut has the most financial incentives: less frequent grooming visits, very little brushing until the hair grows longer than 1 inch, and makes your dog easy to bathe. However, you Goldendoodle is going to lack style.
Goldendoodle Kennel Cut features:
- The shortest Goldendoodle cut (even shave <1 inch in length)
- Helps your dog stay cool in the summer months
- Save money by having to groom less!
- Easy to bathe, less brushing, and a cleaner coat
6. Goldendoodle Poodle Cut
Last but not least is the Goldendoodle poodle cut. This popular type of Goldendoodle haircut style derives from the Poodle, but works on doodles due to the long curly hair. Generally speaking, the Goldendoodle poodle cut has extremely short hair around the belly and face areas (<1 inch in length). The hair is left really long around the ears, tail, and top of the head (2-4 inches in length). Some owners also leave the hair long around the legs.
The Goldendoodle poodle cut makes your dog look intelligent and mature. This cut is also easy to maintain since the majority of the hair is cut really short. This means less grooming, brushing, and maintaining!
Goldendoodle Poodle Cut features:
- Intelligent and mature look
- Common on poodles, but looks great on Goldendoodles
- Easy to maintain
- Short hair around the body. Long hair on ears, tail, and top of the head.
Conclusion for Types of Goldendoodle Haircuts
We hoped you enjoyed our list of the best types of Goldendoodle haircuts. My personal favorite types of Goldendoodle haircuts are the Lion cut and lamb cut! Go ahead and experiment with different types of Goldendoodle short hairstyles. Your dogs hair will always grow back and you can always groom it back to the Goldendoodle Teddy Bear cut if all else fails.
Other popular articles: