Finding the perfect dog from Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas can be challenging. Given the variety of options, it becomes difficult to make a decision. This guide will simplify the process by providing you with a list of reliable rescues that can help you find a healthy dog. Belgian Malinois dogs are known for their square-built and graceful structure.
A recognized breed by the American Kennel Club, these adorable dogs are one of the most active dog breeds that quickly form tight bonds with their owners. Their coat can be fawn or mahogany, and they are most famous for their pointed ears that stand alert when challenged. They are good at obedience tests and enjoy the challenge of competitions and testing.
Since they need plenty of outdoor exercise, the Belgian Malinois is great if you have an active lifestyle. Moreover, they are affectionate and gentle with kids and other animals. Indeed, this dog breed has all the elements that make it an excellent choice for first-time dog owners. Without further ado, here is a list of trustworthy rescues in and around Texas that can provide you with a Belgian Malinois today.
Before you scroll down this list of Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Pointer Rescues in Texas and Best Border Collie Rescues in Texas.
Find a Belgian Malinois Rescue Shelter Near Me in Texas
Our team at We Love Doodles compiled this list of the best Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas to help you out on your journey.
1. American Belgian Malinois Rescue
American Belgian Malinois Rescue is a well-known facility where you can find Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas. The American Belgian Malinois Rescue is unique because it has a vast network of contacts across the state that specifically provide Belgian Malinois for adoption to interested individuals.
The rescue originated from the national American Belgian Malinois Club as a separate entity and started initially by rescuing 10 to 12 dogs a month. Over the years, it has grown into a reliable rescue that serves the state of Texas and surrounding areas.
American Belgian Malinois Rescue is a registered 501 (c)(3) and relies on a foster network to care for the dogs. Once the dogs are rescued, they are placed with a foster family. The foster family is responsible for having the dogs examined, spayed or neutered, and microchipped.
This rescue has designated coordinators that can guide you in selecting the dog you wish to adopt. After looking at your adoption form, the coordinators understand the kind of dog that would be a good fit for you and your family.
It takes at least three weeks to process your form, so the rescue requests that you do not contact them before. If you are interested in more than one dog, you only need to fill out one form but mention the number of dogs you wish to adopt. The American Belgian Malinois Rescue is run by donations and depends on support from the local community.
If you are interested in adopting from American Belgian Malinois Rescue, then you should keep the following in mind:
- They will provide a transportation facility if you live far away from the dog, but you must provide transportation halfway.
- All forms will require two personal references, one vet reference, and a home visit. However, a video visit is scheduled if a home visit cannot be performed due to distance.
- Once you submit your file, you will receive an automated response, but you should wait about three weeks before you expect to hear back from them.
- All dogs are spayed and neutered before they are adopted.
- All dogs have been vaccinated and are up to date with the necessary shots.
- All dogs have been tested for heartworm.
American Belgian Malinois Rescue Details
- Website: American Belgian Malinois Rescue
- Address: PO Box 847 Stevens Point, Wisconsin (With Satellite offices all over the USA, including Texas)
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: American Belgian Malinois Rescue
2. Animal Defense League of Texas
Animal Defense League of Texas is one of many reliable pet rescues in Texas. They are located in San Antonio and have a variety of dogs of different breeds available for adoption. The rescue goes out of its way to support those who wish to adopt rescued dogs.
If you are interested in adopting from the League, you should know the following:
- They have an adoption fee of $60, and for puppies, under six months, it is $200.
- Your adoption fee includes a starter kit from Heritage Ranch by H-E-B, microchip, vaccinations, internal and external parasite treatment, and spay/neuter surgery.
- Suppose you wish to receive periodic updates from the rescue. In that case, you should sign into their website so that the rescue will have your contact information to send you important updates about available dogs.
- If you rent a house, the rescue will ask you to check your rental agreement to ensure that you can keep dogs and know what breed and size you are allowed.
- If you are another animal living in the home, it is a good idea to bring them with you at the time of the meet and greet, along with a record of their vaccinations.
Animal Defense League of Texas Details
- Website: Animal Defense League of Texas
- Address: 11300 Nacogdoches RD San Antonio, Texas
- Phone: (210) 655-1481
- Facebook: American Defense League of Texas’ Facebook
- Instagram: American Defense League of Texas’ Instagram
3. Belgian Malinois Networking Group – Houston Area
The Belgian Malinois Networking Group – Houston Area, is a Facebook group that posts information about Belgian Malinois dogs for rescue in the greater Houston area. They have been around for about five years and can be a good resource if you are looking to foster or adopt a Belgian Malinois.
Although they are not a formal rescue, they have recent posts of Belgian Malinois dogs that need homes. As an interested pet owner, you must visit and vet the individuals posting on the group to see whether they are genuine. Contact the group admin to get some information about the members.
Moreover, if you see a posting that you are interested in, contact the person advertising the dog for more details. All posts have pictures of the dog available for adoption and information on why the owner is offering it up for adoption. In most cases, it is because they cannot keep the dog, or their dog has had puppies and want to find a loving home for them.
If you are interested in adopting a dog from this group, you should keep the following in mind:
- Previous dog owners, especially Belgian Malinois owners, would be the best people to adopt from a group like this since they know the breed and have a good understanding of dogs.
- This group would not be ideal for a first-time pet owner.
- Having your vet check the dog can be a great way to ensure you are getting a healthy animal.
- It might not be a viable option if you live in another state or far away from Houston.
Belgian Malinois Networking Group Details
- Website: Belgian Malinois Networking Group
- Address: Houston
4. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) of Texas
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) of Texas has puppy rescues in Texas that are available for adoption. The SPCA is a great place to look for an adult or puppy Belgian Malinois and an excellent way to give back to the community. The SPCA of Texas is located in Dallas. They have a variety of dogs that are available for adoption, and if you are lucky, you might be able to find a Belgian Malinois.
The directory of available dog breeds has videos and pictures of the dogs, which include a detailed bio telling you all the essential information. After choosing a few animals, you can schedule a visit with an adoption coordinator who will help you complete the adoption process. You can even do a trial adoption if you are unsure if you are ready for a new pet.
To complete the adoption, you will need:
- Valid unexpired ID
- Contact information
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) of Texas Details
- Website: SPCA of Texas
- Address: 2400 Lone Star Dr. Dallas, Texas
- Phone: (214) 742-7722
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: SPCA of Texas’ Facebook
- Instagram: SPCA of Texas’ Instagram
5. Operation Kindness
Operation Kindness is located in Carrollton, Texas, and has been operating since 1976. They started with a mission to provide shelter for homeless pets; over the years, it has grown into much more. It is now not only a shelter and care facility for abandoned animals but also a pet hospital.
In addition, the hospital provides affordable and easily accessible life-saving healthcare to pets and rescues across Texas. Their adoption process is straightforward. You can find a variety of dogs available for adoption on their website.
After choosing one, you can visit the facility to see the pet. No appointment is required. After making the payment, you can take your pet home the same day. Medical teams will check the pet before you take them and provide you with all the medical paperwork.
The adoption fee is $205 and includes the following:
- Spay/neuter before adoption
- Age-appropriate vaccinations before adoption
- Microchip with lifetime registration
- Discount on pet insurance
- Collar and a temporary leash
- Dog food for six months
- Coupon for pet supplies from a local retailer
Operation Kindness is one of many reliable Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas and a good choice if you do not have luck elsewhere.
Operation Kindness Details
- Website: Operation Kindness
- Address: 3201 Earhart Drive Carrollton, Texas
- Phone: (972) 418-7297
- Facebook: Operation Kindness’ Facebook
- Instagram: OperationKindness’ Instagram
How to Choose Belgian Malinois Rescues in Texas
When searching for suitable dog rescues, you should first look for convenience. Ideally, looking for one closest to your home would be best. It would save you the time and money on a long trek to pick up your new pet. Moreover, the long commute can be stressful for you and the animal.
Secondly, choose a rescue that allows no-appointment visitation, as they will likely have a simpler adoption process. Finally, choose a rescue that is forthcoming with information about their dogs, including medical records and proof of vaccination.
Related: Best Belgian Malinois Dog Names.
Conclusion For The “Best Belgian Malinois Rescues in Texas”
When adopting a rescue, it is essential to understand that each rescue dog has been through a unique experience. Therefore, not all dogs will behave the same way, and as a new owner, you will need to show patience and love. Many of these animals have been mistreated and abandoned and will respond positively to your affection.
However, it may take some time for them to adjust to the new environment, so patience is vital. The Belgian Malinois rescues motioned above are your best bet for bringing a healthy and well-adjusted rescue home as they follow rigorous procedures to ensure the health and temperament of their dogs. Here’s hoping you bring that Belgian Malinois dog home soon.
For more guides similar to this list of Belgian Malinois rescues in Texas, you can check out these other dog rescue shelter recommendations from our team:
- Best Belgian Malinois Rescues in Florida
- Best Belgian Malinois Rescues in Texas
- Best Belgian Malinois Rescues in California
Before you adopt a Belgian Malinois companion from a rescue shelter in Texas, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching the “Before You Get a Belgian Malinois” down below: