Are you searching for Pitbull breeders in Colorado? You have decided to add a Pitbull puppy to your family, but what does that mean? Did you know that the term “Pitbull” really refers to four different dog breeds, all of which have unique characteristics?
When you want a “Pitbull,” it is vital to research all the different breeds to find which one fits you best, and then it is equally important to find a reputable breeder that understands the breed and puts the health of their dogs and their puppies first.
Types of Pitbulls You Can Find
The name Pitbull is a general term that includes four distinct dog breeds: The American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Bully.
While many of these breeds were bred as livestock management dogs, their strength and intimidating appearance led them into the dog-fighting rings. This behavior gave them aggressive reputations, landing many of them on breed-specific legislation bills banning the ownership of these breeds in city limits.
Unfortunately, this aggressive behavior resulted from human training or lack of, and, in reality, these breeds are highly intelligent, affectionate, and loyal dogs that make outstanding family members.
American Pit Bull Terrier
The American Pit Bull Terrier, commonly called a Pit, is probably the first Pitbull breed you think of. These dogs have a stocky, muscular build, stand between 17 and 19 inches tall, and weigh between 30 and 90 pounds.
You may have heard the terms Red Nose or Blue Nose Pit before, which are American Pit Bull Terriers. These dogs are highly intelligent, with a very playful temperaments. They are eager to please their human family and are well-known for their gentle disposition around children.
However, they do need a strong but firm hand when it comes to early training, and they need to know that their human parent is the leader of the pack to help eliminate aggressive or disruptive behavior. In addition, early socialization with other dogs is essential. The American Pit Bull is not a recognized AKC breed but is recognized by the UKC.
American Staffordshire Terrier
The American Staffordshire Terrier is similar to the Pit Bull Terrier but slightly smaller in stature and recognized by the AKC. These dogs stand the same height as a Pit Bull, but they only weigh between 55-70 pounds. This breed also requires firm yet gentle training and socialization at an early age to reduce destructive behaviors and promote good canine manners.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
The smallest of the Pitbull breeds is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This dog stands between 13-16 inches tall and weighs between 20-40 pounds at full maturity. But don’t let his smaller size fool you.
This is still a very strong and athletic little puppy, and early training helps these dogs understand you are in charge. They are highly intelligent and very affectionate, especially around children.
The American Bully is the newest Pitbull breed, only officially recognized by the UKC in 2013. The American Bully combines the best of multiple breeds, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, and the English Bulldog.
This mixture of breeds created a fun-loving, highly intelligent, well-behaved dog that can be small to extra-large. Bullies range in size from 13-21 inches tall and can weigh between 70-120 pounds.
Different Types of Pitbull Breeders
Unfortunately, because these breeds are popular, the Pitbull breeds are targets for puppy mills and breeders looking to turn a hefty profit without any focus on the health and wellbeing of the breeding dogs. But how do you know if you are dealing with a reputable breeder or a puppy mill? Let’s take a closer look at each type of breeder and what to look for:
- Reputable Breeder: A reputable breeder focuses on one, maybe two, specific breeds. They invest in their dogs and breeding programs with extensive DNA testing to rule out possible genetic conditions. All puppies undergo health checks and vaccinations before going to their new homes, and most come with health guarantees against genetic conditions. Most dogs and puppies are raised in the home, helping to promote early training and socialization. Litters are typically planned, giving momma puppies time off between litters, so they do not always have puppies available.
- Puppy Mills: Puppy mills focus on the profit puppies offer and continually breed dogs and often offer multiple breeds. These dogs often live under poor conditions and may carry DNA to pass genetic conditions on to puppies. In many cases, puppies do not receive vet checks and may not receive vaccinations. Puppy mills often meet you somewhere other than their breeding location, and they always have puppies available.
- Backyard Breeders: These breeders fall in between reputable breeders and puppy mills. They often love their dogs and their breed and want to share their love for the breed with others. Dogs and puppies typically live in the home and are socialized well. However, the breeding dogs do not undergo health tests, so genetic complications often concern the puppies. In many cases, puppies do not receive vet checks or vaccinations before going to their new home.
Pitbull Puppies For Sale in Colorado
Here we provide a list of some of the top Pitbull breeders in Colorado and surrounding areas. This will include breeders for all four of the different Pitbull breeds.
1. Red Rocks Staffords
First on the list of Pitbull breeders in Colorado is “Red Rocks Stafford.” Red Rocks Staffords is located in Yoder, Colorado, and Colorado Springs, Colorado, specializing in breeding Staffordshire Bull Terriers. They breed for type, health, and temperament and achieve these goals by only breeding health-tested and certified dogs.
Each breeding pair is carefully selected with the desire to create the perfect companion puppies. They love their dogs and do everything they can to ensure that every puppy goes to a loving home, so they are more than happy to talk with potential puppy parents and answer all questions you may have.
Red Rocks Staffords Details
- Location: Yoder and Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Phone: (719) 426-7583 or (719) 502-1435
- Website: Red Rocks Staffords
2. Working Bully Kennels
Working Bully Kennels, located in Colorado, specializes in Extra Large American Bullies. They are one of the only XL Bully breeders that health tests all their breeding dogs, including hips and elbow x-rays, to achieve OFA certification and heart echo to ensure they are heart murmur-free.
They will not breed any dog proven to have a genetic condition and seriously take their high health standards. In addition, they work hard to match every new puppy parent with the perfect puppy to match their needs and expectations.
Working Bully Kennels Details
- Location: Colorado
- Website: Working Bully Kennels
3. Colorado Premier American Pitbulls
Colorado Premier American Pitbulls specializes in American Pit Bull Terrier breeding, with a focus on exotic colorings including tricolors, red noses, purple noses, silver, grey, and fawn.
This family breeder has been breeding Pit Bull puppies for years, helping many new families add these beautiful, loving canine companions to their homes. They strive for an ideal temperament, and their dogs are wonderful with children.
Colorado Premier American Pitbulls Details
4. High Altitude Pitbulls
Located in Rifle, Colorado, High Altitude Pitbulls specializes in raising Champion American Pit Bull Terriers. All their dogs are considered part of the family, and they have a strong passion for the breed.
They are willing to answer all your questions and work with you to find the perfect fit for you and your puppies. Litters are born in the home with daily puppy supervision and care, taking the time to ensure each puppy is socialized and ready for their new home.
High Altitude Pitbulls Details
5. Colorado American Staffordshire Terrier Rescue
Unfortunately, Pitbull breeds are often found in shelters and rescue programs as owners do not have the time to provide the training they need or move and learn that their new city or apartment does not allow bully breeds.
Colorado American Staffordshire Terrier Rescue is part of the Rescue Me Network that works to find homes for rescue and shelter dogs. Here you can browse local rescue American Staffordshire Terrier puppies and dogs, as well as search for different breeds as well. Each dog listed has unique rescue contact information.
Colorado American Staffordshire Terrier Rescue Details
- Location: Colorado and Nationwide
- Website: Colorado American Staffordshire Terrier Rescue
Conclusion For The “Best Pitbull Breeders in Colorado”
We hope this list of Pitbull breeders in Colorado will make your search for a puppy easier. Whether it’s Pitbull breeders from this list or not, remember to always do your research, so you know what you’re dealing with. We wish you the best on your journey for a Pitbull puppy in Colorado.
For more Pitbull informational guides from We Love Doodles, you can check out:
- Best Pitbull Breeders in New Jersey
- Best Pitbull Breeders in Michigan
- Best Pitbull Breeders in Minnesota
Learn more about the Pitbull dog breed by watching “Types of Pitbull Breeds That Are Popular Today” down below: