If you’re searching for Labrador breeders in Connecticut, then here’s what you need to know. Adding a fluffy new puppy to the family is exciting, but where do you start? How do you know that you are finding a healthy, happy puppy?
Labradors are among the most popular dog breeds in the United States, so finding one is not very difficult. However, finding a responsible breeder that puts the health and wellbeing of their dogs and puppies is essential.
Finding the right Labrador breeder not only guarantees you a healthy, happy puppy, but it provides you with a valuable resource that you can turn to during your dog’s lifetime.
This guide introduces you to the Labrador and offers some tips to finding a reputable breeder and a list of some of the top Labrador breeders in Connecticut.
Before scrolling down this list of Labrador breeders in Connecticut, check out these recommendations: Best Golden Retriever Breeders in Connecticut and Best Bernedoodle Breeders in Connecticut.
Here’s What You Need to Know About The Labrador Retriever
Labradors originated in Newfoundland in the 1800s, but they have gained extreme popularity in the United States and rank in the top 10 AKC breeds every year. They come in two varieties: the American, which produces tall and lean dogs, and the English, short and stocky.
Both types are bouncy and enthusiastic, brilliant dogs that love to play games and please their humans. They are even-tempered, with a gentle disposition that makes them the perfect family dog. However, they can be rowdy and rambunctious when younger and need lots of exercises.
In addition, they can be mouthy and enjoy chewing and carrying things. This means that, when left alone or without something to do, they can become destructive. In addition, they can exhibit separation anxiety if left alone too often.
However, if you have a tennis ball and enjoy playing fetch, you will have a friend for life. Labradors come in three colors: Black, Blonde, and Brown. They stand between 21.5-24.5 inches tall and range between 55 to 80 pounds.
Labradors are prone to certain genetic health conditions, such as hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia, heart disease, exercise-induced collapse, osteochondrosis, panosteitis, epilepsy, and allergies. This is why it is so important to find a reputable breeder that focuses on the health of their dogs and puppies.
Related: When Do Labradors Stop Growing?
Finding a Reputable Labrador Breeder in Connecticut
Choosing the right breeder is extremely important, and you should devote some time and research to finding a breeder you connect with. Adding a new puppy to your family is much more than just finding that adorable face! Some tips to choosing the right breeder include:
- Meet the Breeder: Meet with a potential breeder in person at the locations where the puppies live. Take note of how the breeder interacts with the dogs. New puppies should be outgoing and not shy away from the breeder. The area where the dogs live should be clean and odor-free.
- Ask Questions: Meeting with the breeder is the perfect time to ask questions, and no question is wrong! A breeder specializing in Labradors should be able to answer all your breed questions, and you want a breeder that you can turn to later down the road should you have any questions. Also, be prepared to answer some questions. A good breeder wants to find homes that fit each puppy well, so they should ask about your family, other dogs, your experience with dogs, what type of yard you have, etc.
- Ask to See the Breeding Parents: Seeing the parents allows you to see what your puppy may look like as it grows, as well as see the temperament of the dogs.
- Ask About Health History and Health Guarantee: Reputable breeders have their breeding dogs under extensive health exams and DNA testing to reduce the risk of spreading potential genetic conditions. A good breeder is willing to show you these test results. In addition, all puppies should undergo a veterinary exam and vaccinations before going to their new home, and you should receive copies. Most breeders also offer a health guarantee against genetic conditions, ranging from 1-10 years.
Labrador Puppies For Sale in Connecticut
Due to the Labrador Retriever’s popularity, finding available puppies isn’t usually difficult. However, finding a reputable Labrador breeder can be a bit more challenging. Here we have created a list of some of the top Labrador breeders in Connecticut to help you begin your search.
Labrador Product Recommendations: Best Dog GPS Trackers and Best Dog Fitness Trackers.
1. PuppySpot’s Labradors For Connecticut
Unfortunately, you can’t always find a local breeder that you connect with that has available puppies. But that doesn’t mean you need to give up on adding a Labrador to your family. PuppySpot offers you a unique solution.
They carefully screen breeders across the country, searching for breeders that put health as a priority. Once breeders pass the screening process, they list their available puppies in the marketplace, where you can search for the adorable puppy face that speaks to you.
Once you find your puppy, PuppySpot works with you to arrange transportation and delivery directly to your door. And you can feel confident that your puppy will be healthy, as they offer a 10-year health guarantee for all puppies listed in their marketplace.
- Website: PuppySpot’s Labradors
2. Greenwood Labradors
Greenwood Labradors is located in the rolling hills of Northeastern Connecticut and has been breeding Labradors since 1985. They specialize in producing sound, healthy, and even-tempered puppies that will catch the eye of a conformation judge and have superb hunting instincts and exceptional trainability.
They put a heavy focus on the health of their dogs and do everything possible to ensure that there is no chance of genetic conditions. All breeding dogs are DNA tested for over 18 conditions and promise to add more as they are discovered.
Their website includes the results of these tests on each dog’s pedigree page. In addition, they DNA test all puppies before they head to their new home, providing you with the test results.
Greenwood Labradors Details
- Location: Northeastern Connecticut
- Facebook: Greenwood Labradors
- Website: Greenwood Labradors
3. Woodland Kennel
Woodland Kennel is committed to breeding and producing the best Labrador Retriever and English Springer Spaniel puppies in the area. Whether looking for a family member or a hunting companion, Woodland Kennels focuses on breeding puppies with good looks, excellent health, and remarkable intelligence you would expect from a quality Labrador.
All their breeding dogs are DNA tested and cleared of genetic conditions. In addition to breeding, Woodland Kennel is committed to providing high-quality professional dog training on all levels. This includes basic obedience training, advanced obedience training, and hunter dog training.
Woodland Kennel Details
- Location: 6 Cortland Place, Oxford, Connecticut
- Phone: (203) 518-0549
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Woodland Kennel
4. Barefoot Labradors
Last on the list of Labrador breeders in Connecticut is “Barefoot Labradors.” Barefoot Labradors specializes in English Labradors on their 12-acre wooded property surrounded by Connecticut State Park and Killingworth Land Trust.
Their focus has been on breeding dogs with sound health and a good temperament since 1995. When their puppies turn three days old, they begin working with them using The Bio Sensor Program. This uses gentle neurological stimulation to improve cardiovascular performance, tolerance to stress, and disease resistance.
All puppies undergo vet exams at 2-4 days old and again at six weeks when they receive their first set of immunizations. In addition, they come with their entire health report, an AKC certificate, and copies of their parents’ health OFA and CERF certificates.
Barefoot Labradors Details
- Location: Killingworth, Connecticut
- Phone: (860) 469-5227
- Facebook: Barefoot Labradors
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Barefoot Labradors
Conclusion For The “Best Labrador Breeders in Connecticut”
Finding a Labrador breeder in Connecticut can be challenging for many people. We hope this list will help you introduce a Labrador puppy to your home sooner than ever. If you have any questions about the breeder, feel free to reach out to them with the following information provided.
For more articles with mentions of the Labrador, you can check out:
- Best Labrador Breeders in Colorado
- Best Labrador Breeders in Pennsylvania
- Best Labrador Breeders in Virginia
Learn more about the Labrador by watching “Labrador Retriever – All About This Popular Breed” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.