Are you looking for the best Greyhound rescues in Florida? Going around from one rescue center to another could be time-consuming and a less efficient process than finding one online.
But how would you know whether your online search would lead you to the right Greyhound rescues for adoption in Florida? Don’t worry. With this guide, you will be able to find a retired Greyhound waiting to be your forever companion.
Before scrolling down this list of Greyhound rescues in Florida, you can check out these other Florida recommendations: Best Dog Breeders in Florida and Best Italian Greyhound Breeders in Florida.
Greyhound Rescues For Adoption in Florida
Let’s go through the top Greyhound adoption services so that you can take it home with you at the earliest.
Greyhound Guides: Best Shampoos For Italian Greyhounds and Best Italian Greyhound Breeders in California.
1. Adoptable Greyhounds of Florida
Adoptable Greyhounds of Florida is both an adoption and a foster service center. The combined experience of all the volunteers working here is 30 years. The mission of this Greyhound rescue for adoption in Florida is to find forever homes for these retired racers.
Not all families have the space to keep Greyhounds as they are large. So, this rescue makes sure that every hound is parked with the right family who has space at their home and heart.
If you’re adopting one from here, it will come to you microchipped, vaccinated, free from ticks, fleas, intestinal parasites, and heartworms. It will also be neutered. This center is one of the Greyhound rescues in Florida that you can rely on.
Adoptable Greyhounds of Florida Details
- Website: Adoptable Greyhounds of Florida
- Location: Sarasota, Florida
- Phone Number:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Social Media: Adoptable Greyhounds of Florida’s Facebook
2. Awesome Greyhound Adoptions
Wondering why adopt a Greyhound or how to adopt one? Check out this Greyhound rescue in Florida and you’ll fall for one of these racers whose racing days are over.
Treat your new Greyhound as a therapy or a service dog or simply as your furry friend. Trust Awesome Greyhound Adoptions to find a healthy Greyhound with the right temperament to settle down with you.
This breed can be trained easily to transition from the racing track to your home. Adopting one is easy. Just fill out the application form, wait for the volunteers to visit your home, and keep your fingers crossed.
Awesome Greyhound Adoption Details
- Website: Awesome Greyhound Adoptions
- Location: 226 SE First Avenue, Boynton Beach, Florida
- Phone Number: (561) 537-0501
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Awesome Greyhound Adoption
3. Elite Greyhound Adoptions, Inc.
This non-profit organization has the sole aim to find loving families for Greyhounds that have nowhere to go or are headed toward the meat trade.
If you’re interested in Greyhound adoption in Florida, you can fill out the online application form. The Elite Greyhound Adoptions team tries to understand your lifestyle, family dynamics, and other aspects through this form.
You can also donate to this organization so that they can carry on with this noble act of rescuing, maintaining, and loving Greyhounds until they find their temporary and permanent homes.
Elite Greyhound Adoptions, Inc. Details
- Website: Elite Greyhound Adoptions, Inc.
- Location: 851 Hyde Park Rd, Loxahatchee, Florida
- Phone Number: (561) 252-2216
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Media: Elite Greyhound Adoptions, Inc.
4. Greyhound Ranch Adoptions, Inc.
Situated in Central Florida, this Greyhound rescue center functions solely to give medical attention and TLC to the dogs that are past the racing stage. A non-profit center, Greyhound Ranch Adoptions, Inc. doubles up as a foster organization.
Once they adopt a Greyhound, they make sure it’s detoxed and put on a healthy diet and supplements so that you get only the healthiest of the lot. Moreover, the team here observes and understands the unique personality of each of the Greyhounds.
This helps to put them in families that match their temperament. If there are other pets in the family, the Greyhound you want to adopt is familiarized with them so that there are no compatibility issues in the future.
Greyhound Ranch Adoptions, Inc. Details
- Website: Greyhound Ranch Adoptions, Inc.
- Location: P.O. Box 950203, Lake Mary, Florida
- Phone Number: (407) 804-5257 and (407) 461-7379
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Greyhound Ranch Adoptions, Inc.
5. Greyhound Pets of America – Tampa Bay
Another not-for-profit center for Greyhound rescues for adoption in Florida, this state-registered organization not only provides shelter to this breed but also raises awareness about it.
Why adopt a greyhound is a question that you may ask. When greyhounds are past their prime on the racing track, we should take them home and teach them to be our pets.
Greyhound Pets of America – Tampa Bay is run by volunteers who have the love and the experience of training these gentle creatures. To adopt a greyhound from here, simply contact them through email or a voice message. You’ll get a reply within two days.
Greyhound Pets of America – Tampa Bay Details
- Website: Greyhound Pets of America
- Location: P.O. Box 8071, Madeira Beach, Florida
- Phone Number: (727) 595-7852
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Media: Greyhound Pets of America’s Facebook
6. Hollydogs Greyhound Adoption
When you or a friend are looking for Greyhound rescues for adoption in South Florida, another place that comes to mind is Hollydogs. For the last twenty-seven years, this rescue for Greyhounds has been operating as a non-profit center.
They don’t stop at just rescuing. They go further to train, socialize, and give medical care to these dogs. It ensures a smooth transition from the racing track to the warmth of a home.
This organization is run totally on donations and help from volunteers who raise awareness about retired Greyhounds and try their best to get them into permanent homes. When you get a Greyhound from Hollydogs, you are sure to get continuous support from them.
Hollydogs Greyhound Adoption Details
- Website: Hollydogs Greyhound Adoption
- Location: 11405 Longfellow Ln, Bonita Springs, Florida
- Phone Number: (877) 397-2237 and (239) 948-7387
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Hollydogs Greyhound Adoption’s Facebook
7. GST’s Sun State Greyhound Adoptions
Last on the list of Greyhound rescues in Florida is GST’s Sun State Greyhound Adoptions. This is the official adoption partner of the Naples-Fort Myers Greyhound Racing Track and is, therefore, a reliable source if you’re wondering how to adopt a Greyhound.
Certified as a Responsible Adoption Partner by the National Greyhound Association, it creates awareness among the public about how retired racing Greyhounds can turn into adorable home pets. The Greyhounds from this rescue are tested for compatibility with cats and small dogs.
For a $250 adoption fee, you can get a Greyhound that’s neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, checked for heartworms, and had a dental cleaning. Plus you will get a leash and a collar.
GST’s Sun State Greyhound Adoptions Details
- Location: 36407 Frazee Hill Road, Dade City, Florida
- Phone Number: (813) 263-3427
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Media: GST’s Sun State Greyhound Adoptions
How To Choose A Greyhound Rescue in Florida
Greyhounds are large and slim dogs that are typically raised to race on tracks. So, when their life changes from a racer to a home pet, there are bound to be some changes in their routine.
So, the greyhound rescues in Florida must be adept at handling these ex-racers and grooming them to become pets. Let’s check out the factors to consider before choosing one to adopt from.
- Check whether the Greyhounds are housed properly at the rescue center with adequate space for sleeping, playing, and exercising.
- It’s better to pick a Greyhound from a rescue center that is state-registered or registered with a recognized body.
- As a potential adopter, you should be able to visit your desired Greyhound before making a final decision.
- As the Greyhounds have thin skin and are slim, they must be sheltered inside, away from heat and cold.
- The Greyhound for adoption should be between two and five years old.
- The rescue for Greyhounds in Florida should ask you questions to assess your lifestyle and living space before handing over a retired racer to you.
- A home visit is mandatory if it’s a reputable adoption center for Greyhounds.
- All adoption centers should give proper vaccination and other medical care to the retired Greyhounds.
- Find out what’s included in the adoption fee – collar, leash, shots, dental check-up, neuter services, and microchipping.
- If you have other pets at home, a good Greyhound rescue should ask the new owner to bring the pet over for getting familiar.
- See how flexible are the payment method and options.
- The rescue center should continue to support the new owner even after the adoption process is complete.
More Information About Greyhound Rescues in Florida
In this guide to the leading Greyhound rescues in Florida, care has been taken to include only the reputable ones. Secondary research was conducted and the credentials were checked from websites and social media pages.
However, it’s smarter to assess a Greyhound rescue center by looking at how in-depth their application form is. Then you should follow up with a physical visit.
Conclusion For The “Best Greyhound Rescues in Florida”
It’s not easy to spot the best Greyhound rescues in Florida as there are quite a few of them. But with some good judgment and this handy guide, your quest for a retired Greyhound racer could be over sooner than expected.
The top rescues of Greyhound for adoption in Florida listed here should give you enough leads. Hope you find the right Greyhound to race from the track to your home and heart.
For more guides with mentions of the Italian Greyhound, you can check out:
- Best Italian Greyhound Breeders in Texas
- Best Small Hypoallergenic Breeds
- Best Italian Dog Names For a Puppy
Before you adopt an Italian Greyhound from a dog rescue shelter, you can learn more about the breed by watching “Italian Greyhound Dogs 101 – Everything You Need to Know” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.