In this guide, you’ll find the best Bernese Mountain Dog breeders in Illinois. The Bernese Mountain Dog is part of Switzerland’s working dog class. Large and sturdy, the Bernese Mountain Dog is a perfect watchdog, cattle herder, and loyal companion.
Their calm disposition makes them ideal family members, especially around children. The breed’s loving and highly trainable nature attracts many owners; however, first-time owners should beware.
The Bernese Mountain Dog’s large stature gives them lots of energy. In addition, this breed doesn’t want to stay locked into apartment life, requiring a constant outlet to use their energy.
The decision to bring home a Bernese Mountain Dog is exciting for the entire family. But, of course, deciding is just the beginning, as the next step is finding the right breeder. There are certain clues to stay on the lookout for which help determine the integrity of the breeder.
Before scrolling down this list of Bernese Mountain Dog breeders in Illinois, check out these recommendations: Best Sheepadoodle Breeders in Illinois and Best Doberman Breeders in Illinois.
Finding a Reputable Breeder of the Bernese Mountain Dog in Illinois
The search for a reputable breeder isn’t always easy, with as many options as there are out there. It’s essential to look closely at the breeders found online to avoid any potential puppy mills that detriment the breed. Here are a few things to do during the search.
- Meet the breeder in person: The opportunity to meet the breeder face-to-face, whether in person or webcam, will give a potential owner more information than a text or email exchange. Reputable breeders have no trouble showing off their home and the area where the puppies live, though the pandemic has made this a little more complicated—this is why a webcam is a great substitute.
- Ask the breeder questions: Before speaking with the breeder, write down as many questions as possible and don’t hesitate to ask away. The more questions your breeder will answer, the more likely they will put their heart and soul into the art of breeding new puppies and put you more at ease. Even if a breeder doesn’t know the answer right at the top of their head, a good breeder will do all they can to find it and let you know.
- Puppies are treated like families: Puppies and their parents are treated as a part of the family by any breeder deemed reputable. Good breeders care about the puppies as if they were their own, bringing them into the home and providing socialization from the very beginning. Puppies kept close to home with their new owner, ready to start a life with a new family with little hiccups along the way.
- There is a waitlist: As much as any new owner doesn’t want to run across a waitlist, which could last a year or so, the breeder is reputable is a good indicator. A waitlist means the breeder isn’t running a puppy mill, churning out puppy after puppy without care for their health or the parents’ safety. Instead, breeders who care about the dogs and the breed will vet all of their potential owners, placing them on a waitlist for the next litter or two.
- Professional paperwork: Breeders who care about their role will always provide paperwork that includes a written contract and a new owner before any puppies get home. The contract will have all the terms necessary for a transfer of ownership, but reputable breeders also include a buy-back clause. The buy-back clause is important if the dog’s new family has a change of circumstances that don’t allow them to hold onto their beloved pet.
Bernese Mountain Dog Puppies For Sale in Illinois
The road to finding a reputable breeder can prove long and tiresome. With so many things to keep in mind, it’s no wonder many potential new owners become overwhelmed at the sheer thought of research. To help with the process, below are some of the Bernese Mountain Dog breeders located in Illinois.
Bernese Mountain Dog Product Recommendations: Best Dog Fitness Trackers and Best Puppy Potty Training Sprays.
1. PuppySpot’s Bernese Mountain Dogs for Illinois
Since you’re searching for Bernese Mountain Dog breeders in Illinois, then PuppySpot is worth checking out. PuppySpot is a dog marketplace where you can find numerous Bernese Mountain Dogs for sale.
Breeders on this platform are all strictly screened, which means that your Bernese Mountain Dog will be safely shipped to your home in Illinois. Before you continue searching for a Bernese Mountain Dog breeder in Illinois, check out the link below.
- Website: PuppySpot’s Bernese Mountain Dogs
2. Cornerstone Bernese Mountain Dogs
Located out of Flat Rock, Illinois, Cornerstone Bernese Mountain Dogs is a small family-owned breeder specializing in AKC Champion Bernese Mountain Dogs. Focusing on health, personality, and beauty, their puppies aspire to become champions.
As such, puppies get to go home with an AKC registration, a one-year guarantee, and all their vet checks. Though it started as a hobby, the breeder has been in the business since 2010. They’ve amassed quite the following in this time, with the website showing positive testimonials of past experiences.
The website also provides more information into their thorough process, guaranteeing that puppies get to go home at eight weeks old and no sooner to ensure they are properly weaned and socialized. As expected, Cornerstone Bernese Mountain Dogs breeder has a waitlist for any upcoming litters.
Cornerstone Bernese Mountain Dogs Details
- Website: Cornerstone Bernese Mountain Dog
3. Winterfell Bernese Mountain Dogs
This breeder’s journey began with their first Bernese Mountain Dog named Brighton 18 years ago. Located in Rockford, Illinois, Winterfell Bernese Mountain Dogs, this breeder treats their puppies like family members.
Their focus is on strict adherence to ethical breeding, striving toward world-class champion bloodlines. More information about their practices is disclosed on their website.
The best testimonials are those that indicate puppies from their litters became champions or therapy dogs. Puppies are raised inside the home as a member of the family.
These puppies want for nothing. This breeder devotes their time to health and temperament, ensuring early socialization, so puppies are ready to go to their forever homes with little issue.
The website also lets potential owners meet the current dog parents and provides a puppy questionnaire. This series of questions helps get potential owners on the waitlist.
Winterfell Bernese Mountain Dogs Details
- Website: Winterfell Bernese Mountain Dogs
4. Brookhills Bernese Mountain Dogs
Last on the list of the best Bernese Mountain Dog breeders in Illinois is “Brookhills Bernese Mountain Dogs.” The main focus of this breeder is on champion dogs that took part in various AKC events, which include obedience, agility, and tracking and nose work.
Possessing memberships in BMDCSEW (Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Southeastern Wisconsin) since 1997 and the BMDCA (Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America) since 1999, this breeder is in Orland Park, Illinois.
The incredible breeding journey they’ve been on began back in 1996 with the adoption of their first dog. Serving most northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, their website provides further information about their current dogs and upcoming litters.
They also offer a puppy survey which is the first step toward ownership and getting placed on the waitlist. The best testimonial provided by their website is previous puppies achieving AKC Championships and therapy dog titles.
Brookhills Bernese Mountain Dogs
- Website: Brookhills Bernese Mountain Dogs
Conclusion For The “Best Bernese Mountain Dog Breeders in Illinois”
Bernese Mountain Dogs are wonderful companions as loyal and loving dogs. The ease with which they train makes them even more desirable to potential dog owners.
Bringing home the right puppy begins with finding a reputable breeder who cares about the breeding process and the puppies they will send home with a new family. Even armed with a few helpful hints on indicators of a reputable breeder, the process is still tedious and dreary.
To help potential new owners, the list above has Illinois-based breeders that prove to be reputable. They will hold most of the answers about the Bernese Mountain Dog and walk owners through the process of bringing home a new puppy.
With a bit of patience and dedication, it’s possible to work with the closest breeder and bring home a new family member.
Here is more content with mentions of the Bernese Mountain Dog:
Learn more about the Bernese Mountain Dog by watching “Everything You Need to Know About The Bernese Mountain Dog” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.