Bernedoodles are a mixed breed between a Poodle and a Bernese Mountain Dog. In case you don’t recognize Bernedoodles, then you might recognize its other common nicknames: Bernese Mountain Poo, Bernesepoo, Bernesedoodle, and Bernepoo. The Bernedoodle adapts well to cold temperatures, affectionate to people, and makes the perfect addition to families/kids. They’re one of the most popular dogs amongst other Doodle breeds such as Goldendoodles, St. Berdoodles, and Labradoodles due to their temperament and intelligence.
Whether you’re living alone or with a family, Bernedoodles will adapt really well to both of these environments. After all – they love attention which means the more, the merrier. If you’re planning to bring home a Bernedoodle, then this guide will help you with the information you need to provide your companion with the best care possible.
Characteristics of a Bernedoodle
- Breed: Standard Poodle & Bernese Mountain Dog
- Temperament: Affectionate & Playful
- Typical Standard Height (Approx.): 23 to 29 inches
- Typical Standard Weight (Approx.): 70 to 90 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12 to 18 years
The Bernedoodle is mixed with the Standard Poodle and the Bernese Mountain Dog. This type of dog breed is known to be playful and affectionate to people. When it comes to its height and weight, the typical standard height for the Bernedoodle is between 23 to 29 inches that can weigh 70 to 90 pounds once they’re full-sized adults. Generally, male Bernedoodles are slightly heavier and taller than female Bernedoodles. The life expectancy of a Bernedoodle ranges from 12 to 18 years, which is longer than the average lifespan of many other dogs.
To understand the origin of the Bernedoodle, let’s focus on its parent breed: Bernese Mountain Dog and the Standard Poodle.
Bernese Mountain Dog: Before the existence of the Bernedoodle, the Bernese Mountain Dog came from Switzerland (Swiss mountains). In the 19th century, these dogs were the definition of a farmer’s companion due to their ability to pull carts and protect farms. Towards the end of the 1800s, a great number of working dogs were being imported, which lowered the population of the Bernese Mountain Dog until a group was formed to protect these breeds. In 1926, the Bernese Mountain Dog was introduced to the United States of America and wasn’t recognized by the American Kennel Club until 1937.
Standard Poodle: If you didn’t know, the Standard Poodle is known to be one of the oldest purebred dogs. The name originated from the German Pudelhund or Pudel, which defines as “puddle.” Many people believed that they originated from Germany, but no one knows its true origin. There is, however, information of the Standard Poodle’s ancestors coming from central Asia. Due to its popularity in France, the Standard Poodle eventually became a national breed. Throughout its history, hunters used these dogs as a water retriever or “gun dogs.” People also used the Standard Poodle as:
- Guide Dogs
- Guarding Dogs
- Military Dogs
- Performers For Circuses
To understand which type of dog you’re getting, it’s important to understand the Bernedoodle Generations terminology. You can check out this Bernedoodle Generation guide for in-depth information. Here’s a short example to help you better understand these abbreviations.
Example: F1B Bernedoodle
- F stands for Filial Hybrid, the number 1 stands for the number of generations, and the B stands for backcross.
- F1B Bernedoodle – Since the F stands for Filial Hybrid, that means that the Bernedoodle is crossed between two different breeds of dogs. In this case, it’s the Bernese Mountain Dog and the Standard Poodle.
- F1B Bernedoodle – If a Bernedoodle is the second generation of its offspring, then it would be considered an F2B Bernedoodle. Since the example is an F1B Bernedoodle, then this is the first generation of its offspring.
- F1B Bernedoodle – Last but not least, the B in F1B stands for backcross. In this example, it would mean inbreeding back to 100% Poodle because of their curly hair making them allergy-friendly.
Now that we covered Bernedoodle generation examples, let’s go over their generation information. For future Bernedoodle owners, this list will help you if you’re in search of a specific type.
- An F1 Bernedoodle is 50% Standard Poodle and Bernese Mountain Dog (first generation).
- An F1B Bernedoodle is 75% Standard Poodle, which leaves 25% for the Bernese Mountain Dog.
- An F1BB Bernedoodle is 87.5% Standard Poodle, which leaves 12.5% for the Bernese Mountain Dog.
- An F2 Bernedoodle is a second-generation Standard Poodle and Bernese Mountain Dog that are 50% mixed.
- An F2B Bernedoodle is mixed with 62.5% Standard Poodle, which leaves 37.5% for the Bernese Mountain Dog.
- An F2BB Bernedoodle is mixed with 81.25% Standard Poodle and 18.75% Bernese Mountain Dog.
- An F3 Bernedoodle is also known as multi-generation, which is reproduced to the Criterion Poodle after many generations have gone by.
When it comes to the size of a Bernedoodle, there are four different sizes that we’ll cover: Standard, Mini, and Tiny. Male Bernedoodles are generally larger than female Bernedoodles at a 10% difference.
- Standard Bernedoodles – When a Standard Bernedoodle becomes a full-grown adult, its height will range anywhere between 23 to 29 inches or 58 centimeters to 74 centimeters.
- Mini Bernedoodles – When a Mini Bernedoodle grows to its full size, its height can range between 18 to 22 inches or 45 centimeters to 56 centimeters.
- Tiny Bernedoodles – When a Tiny Bernedoodle reaches its peak in growth, its height can range between 12 to 17 inches or 30 to 44 centimeters.
Temperament & Personality
As for a Bernedoodle’s temperament and personality, it depends on many factors such as the Bernedoodle’s life experience, training, and environment. Generally, nice Bernedoodles are playful, like to have fun, and approachable. Since they learn quickly and can quickly adapt to new environments, they make the perfect dog for children or beginners to train. For a simplified version, Bernedoodles are:
- Fun and Loving
- Loves Attention
It’s important to keep track when feeding your Bernedoodle. The size and its health depend on what type of food you feed it. Until your Bernedoodle is a full-grown adult, then the amount of food you feed it varies. For example, if a Bernedoodle is around 18 months of age with a weight of 60 pounds, then you can feed it one cup of food three times a day. There are four different types of food you can feed your Bernedoodle:
- Moist Food
- Cooked Food
- Raw Food
Any feeding methods you choose, there are pros and cons to each one. Feeding your Bernedoodle wet food can help them transition during the puppy phase but feeding it long-term can cause digestive problems. One of the most popular methods is kibble is the most affordable when it comes to feeding a Bernedoodle. The problem with kibble is that it can cause dental issues for them. As for cooked and raw dog food, there has been an uptrend in interest in feeding with this method. With this method, Bernedoodle owners have to make sure that they’re providing their dogs with the proper nutritional needs. If done incorrectly, it can lead to life-threatening health problems.
Depending on the size of your Bernedoodle, you’ll need to keep in mind how much is the right amount to feed:
- 10-pound Bernedoodle – 3/4 cup of kibble per day
- 20-pound Bernedoodle – 1 + 1/3 cups of kibble per day
- 50-pound Bernedoodle – 2 + 2/3 cups of kibble per day
The information above is used as a guide, so the information shouldn’t be determined based on that alone. Some factors can change the amount of food a Bernedoodle needs.
Unlike most dogs where you have to groom on a weekly to monthly basis, Bernedoodles don’t require as much work due to their curly coat. Since they have curly coats, Bernedoodles are labeled as non-shedding dogs. If you’re not grooming them, they’ll end up becoming a furball. For Bernedoodle owners, you should brush your Bernedoodle 2 to 3 times weekly just to prevent their hair from getting tangled.
To prevent the removal of natural oils on your Bernedoodle, bath it once every few months. If you bath them often, the removal of natural oil can cause your Bernedoodle to have less moisturized skin. The perfect time frame to take your Bernedoodle grooming is once every 3 to 4 months. The groomer can help you check the health of your Bernedoodle’s ear and trim their nails for you.
The amount of exercise your Bernedoodle needs depend on whether they’re a full-grown adult or still a puppy.
- An adult Bernedoodle requires at least an hour of exercise about two times per day.
- For Bernedoodle puppies at three months of age, they require 75% less exercise than adult Bernedoodle. With about 15 minutes of exercise two times per day, you can gradually increase this number as they get older. The best increment is 5 minutes for every month as a puppy until you’re at one hour twice a day.
Below is a Bernedoodle exercise chart that’ll help you determine how much exercise your companion really needs.
- Bernedoodle 1-Month Old – 5 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 2-Month Old – 10 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 3-Month Old – 15 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 4-Month Old – 20 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 5-Month Old – 25 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 6-Month Old – 30 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 7-Month Old – 35 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 8-Month Old – 40 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 9-Month Old – 45 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 10-Month Old – 50 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 11-Month Old – 55 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
- Bernedoodle 12-Month Old – 60 Minutes 2 Times Per Day
When you’re training your Bernedoodle, there are many exercises worth keeping in mind. If you take your Bernedoodle for a walk, then that counts as an exercise. Always keep an eye out for people running, biking, car, etc. It’s best to keep a leash on your Bernedoodle if it’s not trained or still a puppy. You can go for a light jog, play with your companion, or let it run around in your backyard. These are all ways to let your Bernedoodle exercise.
One of the reasons why Bernedoodles are growing in popularity is because they’re easy-to-train. With the genes from strong Bernese Mountain Dogs to the intelligence from a Standard Poodle, Bernedoodles are smart and have the ability to learn quickly in comparison to other dog breeds.
For starters, the first thing you have to absolutely teach your Bernedoodle is potty training. Although it might seem complex at first, they’re quite easy to train even for a novice or children. Potty training is quite repetitive, so don’t worry too much if you think there are a thousand different things you should do. All it takes is a little patience.
The best time to start potty training your Bernedoodle is when it’s still a puppy. If your Bernedoodle is already at an adult stage, it’s still possible to potty train them but it’ll be a little more difficult. Here are some tips to keep in mind when potty training your Bernedoodle:
- Tip #1 – Try to potty train your Bernedoodle as soon as possible. Whether you adopted an adult Bernedoodle or got a puppy from a Bernedoodle breeder, potty train it the moment it steps inside of your home for the very first time. By doing this, you’re teaching your Bernedoodle boundaries and helping it establish its own territory.
- Tip #2 – Choose their potty training spot and stick with that spot. You don’t want to confuse your Bernedoodle by switching and replacing potty spots.
Instead of punishing your Bernedoodle when you find them going for a potty in the wrong spots, try to reward them when they go potty in the right spots. By rewarding your Bernedoodle, it’ll be more effective than punishing it.
While the Bernedoodle may seem like the perfect dog choice for many people, it’s worth noting that they’re susceptible to diseases and health issues.
These health problems can include:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Heart Disease
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Degenerative Myelopathy
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy
- Sebaceous Adenitis
If you’re adopting a Bernedoodle, it’s best to check with the people working there if there are any past or current health problems. As for Bernedoodle breeders, they will usually scan your dog to make sure that it’s a healthy offspring.
As mentioned earlier, there are types of Bernedoodle when it comes to sizes. There is the Standard Bernedoodle, Medium Bernedoodle, Small Bernedoodle, and Tiny Bernedoodle. Aside from a Bernedoodle’s size, there are three different types of coats that they might have.
- Straight coat – A Bernedoodle with a straight coat will shed the most out of the three coats. While they’re described as “straight coat,” most of the time the coat will be slightly wavy. Since pet owners prefer curly coat Bernedoodles, a straight coat isn’t very common.
- Wavy coat – Between non-shedding to shedding, a wavy coat falls in between.
- Curly coat – One of the main reasons why people Goldendoodles, Bernedoodles, or anything Doodle, in general, is because of their curly coats. When you have a curly coat Bernedoodle, you can expect them to not shed as much as other dog breeds with a straight coat. For people that are allergic to dogs, this is one of the benefits that curly coat Bernedoodles carry.
How much does a Bernedoodle cost? Believe it or not, the average price of a Bernedoodle comes out to approximately $4,000. When you’re purchasing your Bernedoodle from a trusted breeder, the range can be between $2,500 to $5,000. As you know, the value of a Bernedoodle can depend on many factors. Factors such as color, age, generation type, coat, breeder reputation, maintenance cost, location, etc. If you’re lucky, you might be able to find the price of Bernedoodles in a lower range ($800 to $1,500).
The price from a Bernedoodle breeder varies from different parts of the United States or countries. Here are some examples of some popular and reputable Bernedoodle breeders:
- SwissRidge Kennels – $4,900
- Rocky Mountains Bernedoodles – $3,950
- HC Bernedoodles – $3,200
Conclusion for Bernedoodle Dog Breed Guide
Bernedoodles are bred between an intelligent dog (Standard Poodle) and a strong working dog (Bernese Mountain Dog). With the qualities of each parent, the interests of Bernedoodles are increasing every year. After all, they’re smart, playful, loyal, and easy-to-train. Bernedoodles make the perfect pet for families with children. If you’re planning to bring home a Bernedoodle, keep in mind that these are social dogs, which means they need attention. Although raising a Bernedoodle might seem complex at first, the experience throughout the journey will be rewarding.
For other Bernedoodle guides and info, check out:
Still curious? Check out this video on Bernedoodles!