Here is what you need to know if you are looking for Pug rescues in New England. Pugs are an AKC-recognized dog breed known for their wrinkly, cute faces and royal heritage. They are available in various colors, including apricot, black, and fawn, accompanied by the trademark black face mask.
This charming little dog requires attention and does not like being left alone for long periods. Although they don’t need much exercise, Pugs are outgoing and social dogs. Moreover, they are big cuddlers; they love to snuggle with their owners and shower them with affection. Pugs are small in size but big on love.
New pet owners often wonder why they hesitate to get a pet from a rescue. Unfortunately, this fear is not uncommon and is fueled by unfounded myths. The fact is that a rescue dog isn’t less loving, obedient, and playful than any dog you get from a breeder.
This perception that all dogs from rescues are violent or aggressive is erroneous. While some rescue dogs may suffer from temperament and personality issues, it isn’t true for all. Many pet owners find that the dogs they bring home from rescues learn to acknowledge their owner’s love after an initial transition period.
Most pet parents find their rescue pets extremely loving, loyal, and emotionally intelligent. With six to seven million animals being placed in shelters each year, it is no wonder that more and more pet owners are looking to adopt rather than shop. So, let’s start by looking at some great rescues in New England, where you can find your new Pug today.
Before you scroll down this list of Pug rescues in New England, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Corgi Rescues in New England and Best Dog Rescues in New England.
Find a Pug Rescue Shelter Near Me in New England
Here’s a list of the best Pug rescues in New England compiled by our team at We Love Doodles.
Pug Product Recommendations: Best Dog Crates For Car Backseats and Best Dog Ear Cleaners.
1. Pug Rescue of New England
Pug Rescue of New England (PRNE) is the foremost option if you want to welcome an adorable Pug into your home. PRNE serves the new six New England states by rehoming and rehabilitating abandoned Pugs. Rest assured, all Pugs from this rescue are spayed, neutered, and dewormed. They also receive a head-to-tail medical examination to ensure that all dogs are in the best health.
Pug Rescue of New England charges fees on a sliding scale depending on the age of the Pug. The younger the Pug, the higher the prices are. For example, if the Pug is less than a year old, the price is $1,000. If the Pug is one to two years of age, then it is $750, and if the Pug is older than twelve years of age, the price is $200.
If you are interested in getting a Pug from Pug Rescue in New England, then you should know the following:
- You have to fill out an application form first.
- It can take several weeks for Pug Rescue to get back to you after you fill out the application form, as it is a volunteer organization.
- You will receive an email after you submit your application form.
- They will then call you for a telephone interview.
- After the telephone interview, you will have a home visit.
- After the home visit is cleared, the rescue will arrange a meet and greet for you with the dog.
- If you are not selected, then you can reapply.
Pug Rescue of New England Details
- Website: Pug Rescue of New England
- Address: 70 Spencer Street Millis, Massachusetts
- Facebook: Pug Rescue of New England’s Facebook
- Twitter: Pug Rescue of New England’s Twitter
2. New Hampshire Pug Rescue
Located in New Hampshire, New Hampshire Pug Rescue has a variety of dog breeds available for rehoming. It is a sub-domain of Rescue Me. A nationwide organization that rescues, rehomes and rehabilitates dogs. This sub-domain focuses on Pugs, a well-known name amongst the pet rescues in New England.
To adopt a puppy from this rescue, visit their contact page, where you can fill out your personal information, and they will get back to you in about 72 hours. If your application is shortlisted, you will be called for a phone interview and a subsequent house visit. If all is well, you will be allowed to adopt a Pug. If you would like to visit the rescue, you must make an appointment for any day of the week. The rescue does not allow walk-ins.
New Hampshire Pug Rescue Details
- Website: New Hampshire Pug Rescue
- Phone: 07952017696
- Email: Info@rescueme.org
3. Green Mountain Pug Rescue
Located in Vermont and is a registered 501 c (3), Green Mountain Pug Rescue has some of the best Pug rescues in New England. GMPR was founded in 2002 and is run by a board of directors and volunteers.
All Pugs rescued and sheltered are placed in loving homes after carefully inspecting individuals who wish to take them. At GMPR, the shelter covers all health care, including vaccinations, deworming medication, heartworm, and Lyme tests, spaying/neutering, and dental work if required.
If you are interested in rescuing a Pug from Green Mountain Pug Rescue, then you should know the following:
- Due to the low number of dogs coming into the rescue, there is a waiting list.
- You must be 21 to adopt a Pug from Green Mountain.
- The fee for adopting a Pug one year and under is $450. For Pugs older than 10 years, it is $200. Prices are on a sliding scale depending upon the age of the Pug.
- All fees go towards preparing the rescue dog for rehoming, as indicated above.
- The rescue is run strictly by volunteers that are not paid, and all funds go towards the betterment of the rescued dogs.
- If you are interested in adopting, you will need to fill out an application form, and you should hear back from them in two weeks.
Green Mountain Pug Rescue Details
- Website: Green Mountain Pug Rescue
- Address: 283 Town Line Rd, Mendon, Vermont
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Green Mountain Pug Rescue’s Facebook
- Instagram: Green Mountain Pug Rescue’s Instagram
4. Hotel for Homeless Dogs
Situated in Rhode Island, Hotel for Homeless Dogs is one of the leading pet rescues in New England, providing a variety of breeds of dogs for adoption in addition to Pugs. If you are in Rhode Island or any of the six New England states and need a reliable shelter that can provide you with a Pug, then Hotel for Homeless Dogs is a great choice.
They have a state-of-the-art facility and take pride in rescuing dogs that would otherwise be killed or abandoned. If you are interested in obtaining a Pug from Hotel for Homeless Dogs, you must fill out an application form. Volunteers will review the application, and then a coordinator will contact you. You must ensure you fulfill all the requirements the rescue wants to apply for adoption.
Hotel For Homeless Dogs includes:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must agree to provide it with adequate food, shelter, and exercise.
- You must agree never to give it away or sell it.
- You must agree to provide the dog with necessary veterinary care, including vaccinations.
All adoption fees are indicated on each specific dog on their site. You can visit the shelter, but you must make an appointment; they do not entertain walk-ins. Moreover, they allow out-of-state pet enthusiasts to adopt their dogs, so you can visit this rescue if you live outside Rhode Island. Finally, they do not receive inquiries via phone due to the high volume of inquiries, and the best way to reach them is via email.
Hotel for Homeless Dogs Details
- Website: Hotel for Homeless Dogs
- Address: Berkeley Oval, 44 Martin St, Cumberland, Rhode Island
- Email: contact@HotelforHomelessDogs.com
- Facebook: Hotel for Homeless Dogs’ Facebook
5. Lighthouse Animal Shelter
Lighthouse Animal Shelter is located in Bedford, Massachusetts, and is a 501 c (3) charity run by volunteers. They focus on saving dogs from southern states, where there is a high rate of euthanasia. They believe in placing rescued dogs in homes that will fit best. A careful look at application forms to ensure the match is good before deciding on any dog.
The following steps need to be completed before any applicant can be considered:
- An application form must be filled out.
- A volunteer will call all of your references which include your vet reference, your reference, and your homeowner reference.
- After this is cleared, you will be scheduled to visit the shelter so you can meet your new pet.
- A home visit and pet pick-up time will then be confirmed.
In regards to adoption fees, they are straightforward:
- Adult dogs $450
- Senior dogs $250
All fees cover veterinarian costs for the rescued pets, including vaccinations, deworming, and various health tests that must be done once the rescue comes to the shelter. One of New England’s most reliable Pug rescues, Lighthouse Animal Shelter, is ideal if you want to adopt a dog, which is a lifelong commitment. You cannot go wrong if you decide to get your new Pug from here.
Lighthouse Animal Shelter Details
- Website: Lighthouse Animal Shelter
- Address: 596 Hathaway Rd. New Bedford, MA 02740
- Phone: (508) 999-7387
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: Lighthouse Animal Shelter’s Facebook
- Instagram: Lighthouse Animal Shelter’s Instagram
Choosing The Best Pug Rescue Shelters in New England
Selecting your dog from rescues might seem overwhelming and confusing. Hopefully, our guide has taken a lot of confusion out of the decision process. With any big decision, it is always a good idea to explore and research multiple options to get an idea of what is available in your region.
Likewise, when looking for puppy rescues in New England, you must look up multiple rescues. If you cannot find a Pug from a rescue that deals exclusively in Pugs, Consider rescues that rehome and rehabilitate all dog breeds; you may get lucky and find a Pug.
Secondly, Do have a list of questions ready and request to see their 501 c (3) accreditation. Finally, ensure the rescue has foolproof credibility; go online to see their rating on Charity Navigator.
More Pug Guides: Best Brushes For Pugs and Why Pugs Are The Worst?
Conclusion For The “Best Pug Rescues in New England”
With this guide in hand, you will be able to find the perfect rescue and find a Pug to bring home. Getting a new dog from a rescue may take more time than purchasing from a breeder, but the feeling of saving a life is unparalleled. We hope you find a healthy and happy Pug rescue to bring home.
For more guides similar to this list of Pug rescues in New England, you can check out these other rescue shelters:
Before you adopt a Pug companion from a rescue shelter in New England, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “Everything You Need to Know About Pugs” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.