If you’re trying to find Labrador breeders in Iowa, here’s what you need to know. Bred as a sporting dog and companion, it’s no wonder the Labrador Retriever ranks as number one on the American Kennel Club’s most popular dog breed list.
Though this breed was a huge help to fishers back in the day, today’s Labradors are just as hardworking. Assisting as hunters, assistance dogs, and even search and rescue dogs, there is nothing this breed can’t do.
A high-energy, family-oriented dog, Labradors make perfect companions for individuals and families. Ready to learn at a moment’s notice, Labradors need to keep their minds and bodies busy.
For families up to the challenge, the next step is finding the perfect puppy to bring home. But, before diving headfirst into the process, it’s time to brush up on what to look for in a breeder.
What You Need to Know Before Getting a Labrador Puppy in Iowa
Breeders come in all shapes and sizes, with some reputable and trustworthy and others running disreputable puppy mills. No matter what, future owners should avoid puppy mills as much as possible since they’re not known for taking care of their dogs. Here are some pointers to weed out the most reputable breeders.
- In-Person Meeting: Meeting the breeder in person is one of the best ways to determine whether they are a puppy mill or not. Reputable breeders have no trouble meeting in person, even taking to webcams during the pandemic, to put future owners at ease. This is a time for the breeder and future owner to get to know each other and learn as much about the breeder and their process as possible.
- Ask Questions: A reputable breeder has no trouble answering any questions. Most breeders love to help where they can, providing as much information on the breed and raising the puppies as possible to ensure success.
- Puppies Treated Like Family: Reputable breeders will treat their dogs and puppies with the utmost care and love. New puppies are raised at home for the first couple of weeks of their life to ensure they receive the necessary care and socialization early on. Puppies that are properly socialized early on in their life will have an easier time adapting to a new family.
- Contracts: Breeders who care will always ensure a puppy goes home with a contract and both parties keep a copy. The contract will have details about the responsibilities of both parties and, of course, the agreed-upon price. Reputable breeders will also have a buy-back clause. This clause protects the puppy with the breeder specifying they’ll purchase the puppy back or accept them back if the owners have a change in circumstances. Clauses like this protect the puppy from going into a shelter or bouncing around homes.
- Waitlist: Though it’s frustrating, the breeder has a waitlist is a great testimonial and indicator of the breeder’s integrity. Waitlists form because the breeder is sought after by many potential dog owners, and they have small litters of puppies. Therefore, breeders who care about the wellbeing of the parent dogs and their puppies will have a limited number of puppies every year, giving the parents a much-needed break.
Labrador Puppies For Sale in Iowa
The list below provides a helping hand in finding a reputable breeder. Though it’s not the end all be all of the breeders in Iowa, it’s a great place to start.
1. PuppySpot’s Labradors For Iowa
Since you’re searching for Labrador breeders in Iowa, we highly recommend checking out PuppySpot. PuppySpot is a reputable platform filled with many Labrador puppies you can find.
Labrador breeders on this website are all strictly screened, so your dog should be safely shipped to your home in Iowa. Before you continue on your search for a Labrador puppy for sale in Iowa, check out the link provided below.
- Website: PuppySpot’s Labradors
2. Dusty Road Labradors
Located in Loess Hills of the southwest region of Iowa, Dusty Road Labradors is an AKC Breeder with H.E.A.R.T. They pride themselves on being the only breeder in Iowa with that distinction and ensure all important testing is conducted.
Puppies from this breeder are perfect candidates for family pets, therapy dogs, and service dogs. As a reputable breeder, the puppies they raise are like family.
Puppies live within the home, which gives them a chance for early socialization. They even get to go on small family field trips to stores and even ice cream.
For the past four years, they’ve been members of the Council Bluffs Kennel Club and Companion Dog Club of Omaha. With continuous improvement to their processes and living quarters, this breeder exceeds all expectations.
Dusty Road Labradors Details
3. Iron Hills Labrador and Golden Retrievers
The breeder is located in Eastern Iowa, close to Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Though they breed Labradors and Golden Retrievers, they treat all of their puppies like family.
With health clearance and the perfect temperament, their puppies have even gone on to become therapy and service dogs. The website has a whole host of information concerning the current dams and sires and current and upcoming litters.
Their home page shows off the champions they’ve worked with, which shows the breeder’s passion for their dogs. As a member of the Midwest Labrador Retriever Club of Iowa, they ensure all standards are maintained.
Iron Hills Labrador and Golden Retrievers Details
4. Bayard Acres Labs
Conforming to every standard of the Labrador breed, Bayard Acres Labs was established in 2011. Bayard Acres Labs runs out of Knoxville, Iowa, only minutes away from Lake Red Rock.
This breeder always keeps up with AKC standards and raises puppies on the farm among the animals and the family that live there. Plenty of online photos show the great area the puppies explore during their early socialization.
The site explains that all puppies go home up to date on shots and dewormed and hold a microchip and AKC registration. Though the site does have a spot for puppy availability, the recommendation is to reach out to the breeder and provide a deposit in case there is a waitlist starting.
Bayard Acres Labs Details
- Website: Bayard Acres Labs
5. Prairiesky Labradors
Not far from Des Moines, Iowa, Prairiesky Labradors is a small hobby breeder. A proud AKC Breeder of Merit, they are members of The Central Iowa Kennel Club and are the founding members of The Midwest Labrador Retriever Club of Iowa.
Being part of these groups and holding a badge of merit from the AKC, this breeder upholds all of the standards of the Labrador breed. Since this is a hobby kennel, it’s best to reach out as soon as possible to ensure a spot on any forming or existing waitlist.
If a potential owner wants more information, the site also has information about current puppy parents and past litters to work as a testimonial for potential future litters.
Prairiesky Labradors Details
Conclusion For The “Best Labrador Breeders in Iowa”
No matter the state, there is no shortage of breeders. However, not all breeders are created equal. There are unfortunate circumstances of puppy mills, where the sole goal is to churn out as many puppies as possible without care for their health and standards.
This is why future puppy owners must do their due diligence in finding a reputable breeder. Though a reputable breeder means getting on a waitlist, which could take up to a year, it will make all the difference in the type of puppies that go home.
Reputable breeders care for the puppies and their parents, having a limited number of litters in a year to keep up with standards and health. All in all, the list above is there to help start finding a fantastic breeder who will walk a future owner through the entire process and always be a resource and guide for the future.
For more content with mentions of the Labrador, you can check out:
- Best Labrador Breeders in New Hampshire
- Best Labrador Breeders in Georgia
- Best Labrador Breeders in Connecticut
Learn more about the Labrador Retriever by watching “Labrador Retriever Dog Breed Guide” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.