Here are several questions for you if you’re searching for Golden Retriever rescues in Alabama. Do you feel your home is missing a dog’s energetic and loving presence? If so, then you’ve come to the right guide.
This article lists the top Golden Retriever rescues in Alabama to get yourself a beautiful, four-legged companion. One of the most popular breeds of the dog kingdom, Golden Retrievers are a delight to be around.
They’re intelligent, loyal, and adore companionship. They’re also gentle with children and get along well with other pets in the house. Therefore, they’re considered excellent family pets.
As precious as the breed may be, Golden Retrievers often end up in the care of rescues due to a variety of reasons, such as neglect, abuse, or abandonment. The dog welfare and rehabilitation centers take these dogs in, provide necessary care, and rehome them.
Before you scroll further down this list of Golden Retriever rescues in Alabama, you can check out these other dog-related recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Small Dog Rescues in Alabama and Best Rough Collie Breeders in Alabama.
Find a Golden Retriever Rescue Shelter Near Me in Alabama
If you’re considering adopting a Goldie rather than purchasing directly from a breeder – know that you’re providing a dog a chance at a safe and secure life – an opportunity it may have otherwise missed. So, without further ado, let’s read about the 5 best pet rescues in Alabama offering Golden Retrievers for adoption.
1. Adopt a Golden – Birmingham
Adopt a Golden (AGB) aims to find secure, loving, and permanent homes for rescued Golden Retrievers from Birmingham and nearby areas. Dogs placed in the system are then evaluated for their health and temperament by the rescue’s experienced dog trainers.
AGB doesn’t turn away any Golden Retriever regardless of the severity of their medical needs or age. Every dog also goes through a wellness check before adoption. Neutering/spaying, vaccinations, and heartworm treatment are done where needed, along with other medical procedures.
To adopt, you must be:
- 24 years or older with a proven ability to afford and care for a dog.
- Have a true fence.
In addition, you will need to submit an adoption application and pay a $30 application fee. The rescue will conduct a phone interview and a home visit as part of its screening. All family members must be present during the home visit.
Apart from the house visit, the rescue will also check the references you provided by contacting them via phone or email. The tax-deductible donation fee varies according to the dog’s age, but it never exceeds $150.
Adopt a Golden – Birmingham Details
- Address: Birmingham, Alabama
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (205) 290-7788
- Website: Adopt a Golden
2. J&L Golden Retriever Rescue
J&L Golden Retriever Rescue is another amazing big dog rescue in Alabama. It is located in Mobile, Alabama, and is managed by a dedicated group of volunteers, fosters, and veterinarians who adore Golden Retrievers.
Whenever a Goldie in need is bought to the rescue, it is provided with a medical assessment and necessary treatment such as spaying/neutering, heartworm treatment, and vaccinations. The volunteers at J&L also work hard to assess every dog’s behavior to match it with a compatible owner.
To adopt, you need to fill out an online adoption application. If you match the required criteria for adoption, a veterinarian reference check is conducted, followed by a phone interview and a home visit to ensure everything checks out.
The adoption fee is as follows:
- $750: Puppy (purebred) up to 12 months
- $1,400: Puppy (purebred) pair up to 12 months
- $400: Dogs under 7 years
- $200: Seniors (7+ years)
- $500: Pairs
J&L Golden Retriever Rescue Details
- Address: Alabama
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number: (251) 404-0045
- Website: J&L Golden Retriever Rescue
- Facebook: J&L Golden Retriever Rescue’s Facebook
3. Heart of Alabama – Save, Rescue, Adopt
HASRA is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, no-kill pet rescue and rehoming center committed to rehabilitating and rescuing all dogs in need that would otherwise end up at animal control facilities. This nonprofit has saved countless animals from oppression and cruelty and continues to work tirelessly to sustain its mission.
If you’re interested in adopting a Golden Retriever from Heart of Alabama, you can view their available dogs’ webpage here. Since the rescue is not breed-specific and rescues various breeds, you will need to find a Golden Retriever from the list.
You can contact the center through the mentioned contact details and ask for the dog you’re interested in adopting. If you are a new dog owner, volunteers from HASRA will interview you to evaluate your suitability or adoption.
You can contact the rescue for more information regarding the adoption process and other queries, such as the adoption fee, through the contact details mentioned below. The rescue is open seven days a week by appointment only.
Heart of Alabama – Save, Rescue, Adopt Details
- Address: 4101 Highway 72 Killen, Alabama
- Postcode: 35645
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (256) 335-1730
- Website: Heart of Alabama
- Facebook: Heart of Alabama Save Rescue Adopt’s Facebook
4. Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama
One of the best Golden Retriever Rescues in Alabama – Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama is a rescue dedicated to placing stable animals into loving, permanent homes where they can spend their lives in security and peace.
If you’re interested in adopting a pet from the Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama, you can view the available dogs for adoption here. Since the rescue saves and rehomes dogs of all breeds, you will need to search for a Golden Shepherd from the list.
If you cannot find a Golden Retriever, you may contact the rescue and mention your preference. The volunteers will help you find a Golden Retriever as soon as one becomes available.
Once you’ve found your ideal Goldie, you should complete the adoption application online to get the adoption started. You can contact the breeder for more information on the adoption process and fee through the contact details below.
Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama Details
- Address: 121 Kohler Road SW Huntsville, Alabama
- Postcode: 35806
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number: (256) 836-4597
- Website: Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama
- Facebook: Lifeline Pet Rescue of North Alabama’s Facebook
5. Alabama Animal Adoption Society
One of the best Golden Retriever rescues in Alabama – the Alabama Animal Adoption society has been on a mission to help stray and abandoned pets find loving and secure forever homes since 1977. The Alabama Animal Adoption Society is a nonprofit organization with dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly for the welfare of abandoned animals.
If you’re interested in adopting a Golden Retriever from the rescue, you can view the available dogs here and find yourself a Golden Retriever from the list. All puppies under the care of the rescue have received their age-appropriate vaccine shots, one worming, and free spay/neuter certificates that can be taken to one of the rescue’s participating veterinarians.
To download the dog adoption application, click here. All those interested in adopting a pet must submit the adoption application and will be shortlisted after they clear a screening interview. Alabama Animal Adoption Society is another all-breed rescue, but you can find Golden Retrievers on their website.
Alabama Animal Adoption Society Details
- Address: 2808 Crescent Avenue, Birmingham, Alabama
- Postcode: 35209
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (205) 871-6351
- Website: Alabama Animal Adoption Society
How to Choose Golden Retriever Rescues in Alabama
If you are confused about which rescue to finalize, know that you’re surely not the only one. With a long list of rescues claiming to rehabilitate and rehome the healthiest and fittest dogs, shortlisting one can be overwhelming.
When it comes to finalizing the center where you can adopt your future four-legged friend, you must keep the following in mind:
- Selection Process: A reputable rescue will always make potential adopters go through a long and strict adoption process. While it may be time-taking, it displays the rescue’s commitment to ensuring the pets they’ve raised and looked after going to homes that match their temperament and lifestyle.
- The health of the animals: A reputable rescue will prioritize the health and well-being of the animals under their care over everything else. Therefore, ensure that the rescue vaccinates and deworms the animals and gets regular veterinarian check-ups.
- Offers Support & Resources: A good rescue will offer the adopters support and resources to make the transition into a new home more manageable for the adopted pet.
- Reputation: A good reputation is critical when choosing a rescue. Make sure to get feedback from previous adopters, read testimonials on the rescue’s website, and do sufficient online research before finalizing a rescue.
More Information About Golden Retrievers in Alabama
Here is some information about Golden Retrievers you should know before you welcome this precious breed into your home:
- Golden Retrievers’ characteristics and temperament: Eager-to-please, playful, trustworthy, and even-tempered – Golden Retrievers have all the qualities one could ask for in an ideal family pet. They’re also gentle with children and relatively easy to train.
- Exercise: Goldies require a minimum of two hours of exercise per day. It is recommended to spread this throughout your day by including walks, running, and playtime.
- Anxiety: However, Golden Retrievers – being social and active dogs do not do well with being alone in an apartment all day. So, if you have a busy schedule that requires you to be out most of the time, you might want to reconsider getting a Goldie.
- Cost of ownership: According to Golden Hearts, an adult Golden Retriever can cost an estimated $1,740 to $2,680 annually.
Conclusion For The “Best Golden Retriever Rescues in Alabama”
Although Alabama does not have many rescues dedicated solely to rescuing Golden Retrievers, it has several all-breed rescues dedicated to rehabilitating various breeds, including Golden retrievers. These welfare organizations ensure the excellent health and well-being of the animals under their care.
So, do not limit your options to a breed-specific rescue. The rescues mentioned above are some of the best dogs rescue in Alabama. We hope you find your Golden Retriever from our carefully picked list of rescues and offer your future four-legged friend all the love and affection you have to offer!
For more guides similar to this list of Golden Retriever rescues in Alabama, you can check out these other dog-related recommendations from our team:
- Best Golden Retriever Rescues in Australia
- Best Golden Retriever Rescues in the United Kingdom
- Best Golden Retriever Rescues in Ontario
Before you adopt a Golden Retriever companion from a rescue shelter in Alabama, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “What It’s Like Owning a Golden Retriever” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.