Here’s what you need to know if you’re searching for breeders with German Shepherd puppies in Rhode Island for sale. There are few dogs as well-known or admired as the German Shepherd. They are known for their loyalty and ability to learn. They make excellent guard dogs and police dogs.
They are also wonderful family dogs when properly trained and socialized. The popularity of this breed makes it a challenge always to find a decent breeder of German Shepherds. This is why we decided to put together a list of the top German Shepherd puppy breeders in Rhode Island where you can begin looking.
Before scrolling down this list of breeders with German Shepherd puppies in Rhode Island for sale, you can check out these other recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Boxer Puppies in Rhode Island For Sale and Labradoodle Puppies in Rhode Island For Sale.
German Shepherd Breeders in Rhode Island
Like all breeds of dogs, you want to ensure you get a healthy puppy from a breeder. While pet shops do sell puppies often, you usually have no idea how a puppy has been bred.
It is generally advisable to buy a puppy direct from a reputable breeder where you can ask questions about the breeding process and find out more about the parent dogs. This is why we have a list you can use below of the top breeders of German Shepherd puppies.
1. PuppySpot’s German Shepherds For Rhode Island
If you have been thinking about getting a German Shepherd for a long time, you may have already considered visiting a breeder in Rhode Island. You are on the right path as good breeders take care of you even when puppies leave their house.
A reputable German Shepherd breeder will urge you to keep in touch with them and offer you advice on health, grooming, training, diet, and behavior throughout the German Shepherd puppy’s life. For potential pet owners who have never had a dog, a professional breeder can advise you on what to expect and help you determine if the breed is right for your family and lifestyle.
Keep in mind that good breeders are not in it for the money — they will never force you to buy a puppy if the breed is not right. Breeders who are reputable adhere to the breed standard, which is a documented description of the breed’s ideal physical and temperamental features.
The breed standard specifies major characteristics such as coat length, color, height, and weight and minor characteristics such as shoulder layback, eye shape, and movement. On the other hand, finding a reputable breeder is not a simple task. Good thing that PuppySpot takes care of this for you by connecting you with reputable breeders who will provide you with the best German Shepherd puppy to love for the rest of your life.
PuppySpot is a community of dog enthusiasts who connect the nation’s finest breeders with responsible individuals and families who share their passion for animals. When it comes to the lives of puppies, breeders, and owners, PuppySpot holds itself and its customers to the greatest standards.
Accordingly, PuppySpot continues to set the standard for placing puppies with their new, loving families, with approximately 200,000 puppies sold, a ten-year health guarantee on all dogs, and extensive cooperation with the American Humane Society and the American Kennel Club. Furthermore, PuppySpot employs the most rigorous breeder screening process in the United States, including over one hundred points of emphasis.
Breeders selected to list German Shepherd puppies on PuppySpot get filtered through this stringent process, with less than 10% of breeders getting set. Furthermore, there are no waitlists on PuppySpot because all breeders get checked and vetted properly. Inviting a puppy into your family is a major decision you should not make hastily or rashly. PuppySpot can help you make an informed, guided decision about your next furry companion.
2. Artur’s German Shepherds
This breeder is registered with the AKC and is a member of America’s German Shepherd Dog Club. He has many positive reviews online from people who have bought his puppies. He has been breeding German Shepherds for a couple of years. The fact that the breeder is on the AKC is a positive because it means he follows the organization’s code of ethics.
The puppies are AKC registered, and they are given deworming medicine and vaccinated against distemper. Distemper is a contagious disease that can be fatal in dogs, so vaccination is important. He also is on Facebook and can be contacted through that, or you can email or phone to find out more details, including the price of puppies.
Artur’s German Shepherds Details
- Website: Artur’s German Shepherds
- Address/Location: Warwick, Rhode Island
- Phone Number: (401) 556-2229
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: Artur’s German Shepherds’ Facebook
3. DeLeeuw German Shepherd Dogs
The breeder is Wilma Bruining. She rears German Shepherds and socializes the dogs well before adoption. Puppies can be bought when they reach nine weeks of age. People can collect the puppy from the breeder in Rhode Island. A benefit of this breeder is that the dogs are tested for particular conditions, including elbow dysplasia and hip dysplasia.
The dog’s temperament is also noted and recorded. Hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia are both problems because they can develop degenerative disorders of the joints like osteoarthritis. This is a painful and debilitating problem that is more common in older animals. Contact DeLeeuw German Shepherd directly to find out more details on their puppies and how you can buy one.
DeLeeuw German Shepherd Dogs Details
- Website: DeLeeuw German Shepherd Dogs
- Location: Little Compton, Rhode Island 02837
- Phone: (401) 266-1261
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: DeLeeuw German Shepherd Dogs’ Facebook
4. Topline German Shepherds
Topline has been breeding German Shepherds since 1986, and, thus, they have many years of experience in this breed of dog. They have very positive reviews online from people who have bought puppies from them.
This breeder produces top-quality dogs, and he does have people who buy more than one puppy from him, suggesting he is a trustworthy dog breeder. You can fill in a form to get more information from him or by phone or email to find out more about the process of adopting a German Shepherd puppy from Topline German Shepherds.
Topline German Shepherds Details
- Website: Topline German Shepherds
- Address/Location: Foster, Rhode Island
- Phone Number: (401) 374-0790
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: Topline German Shepherds’ Facebook
5. Pinebrook Farm German Shepherds
This breeder uses AKC registered dogs for breeding purposes. Their dogs are also OFA tested to check for any genetic issues the puppies could inherit. They have a Facebook page where you can also see posts from the owner and previous buyers.
Pinebrook Farm also offers training classes for German Shepherds, which is a good idea, particularly if you are new to the breed or owning dogs. You can contact this breeder to gather more information on exactly when they will have a litter available and how you go about adopting one of the puppies.
Pinebrook Farm German Shepherds Details
- Website: Pinebrook Farm German Shepherds
- Address/Location: Cumberland, Rhode Island
- Phone Number: (401) 935-2144
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: Pinebrook Farm German Shepherds’ Facebook
6. Otter Brook Farm
The last German Shepherd puppy breeder we are listing in Rhode Island is Otter Brook Farm. This is a very experienced dog breeder, breeding dogs since 1973. They ensure that parent dogs are AKC registered German Shepherds, and they take all the puppies to the vet for a health checkup.
In addition, puppies are also given deworming medicine and have up-to-date vaccinations. This is important in preventing diseases, particularly deadly illnesses like Parvo and Distemper, which are very contagious. You can contact Otter Brook Farm using the information below to find out how to adopt one of their German Shepherd puppies.
Otter Brook Farm Details
- Website: Otter Brook Farm
- Address/Location: Little Compton, Rhode Island 02837
- Phone Number: (401) 265-8178
- Facebook: Otter Brook Farm’s Facebook
7. Wertvoll German Shepherds
Wertvoll German Shepherds are in Connecticut, which is a state that is close to Rhode Island. This breeder is an alternative if you cannot find a German Shepherd puppy in Rhode Island. This breeder checks all the parent dogs for skeletal problems related to the hips and elbows.
Puppies are all checked by a vet, and they do receive the vaccinations needed for their age. The German Shepherd dogs are also all dewormed. You can phone, email, or contact this breeder through Facebook to learn more about their puppies and the adoption process.
Wertvoll German Shepherds Details
- Website: Wertvoll German Shepherds
- Address/Location: 67 Mihaliak Rd, Willington, CT 06279
- Phone Number: (203) 278-4169
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: Wertvoll German Shepherds
Choosing a German Shepherd Breeder in Rhode Island
German Shepherds are impressive dogs. They are intelligent, loyal, easy to train, and are commonly used as guard dogs and therapy dogs worldwide. They also make terrific family dogs provided they are properly socialized and trained. Finding a trustworthy breeder and avoiding puppy mills can be difficult.
To help you, we suggest using the list of breeders we have provided and the tips given below on what questions to ask a potential breeder:
- Are the parent dogs AKC registered?
- Have the parent dogs been tested for genetic conditions like hip and elbow dysplasia?
- Does the breeder require you to put down a deposit on a puppy, and is the deposit refundable under certain conditions? Many breeders do not refund deposits, so you must ask this.
- How long has the breeder been producing German Shepherd puppies? The more years in business, the more experience the person should have but do not use this as the only criterion by which you judge a breeder.
- Does the breeder offer a health warranty, and what does it include?
- Are there any reviews of the breeder, and are these positive?
Choosing Your German Shepherd Puppy in Rhode Island
After choosing the breeder to buy a puppy from, you have some other questions to ask yourself before going through with the purchase.
These questions are listed below:
- Do you have the necessary space to house a dog the size of a German Shepherd? German Shepherds grow to between 55 and 65 cm and weigh between 75 and 90 lbs., depending on the gender. They are big dogs that need at least 4000 ft2 of garden space.
- Do you want a male or female dog?
- Do you want a dog that can get along with children? Check with the breeder regarding the dog you get and make sure it is properly socialized and trained to get on with children. Consider also taking the dog for further training courses.
- Do you have the funds to care for a German Shepherd? Remember, the dog will need health checks, and you need to be able to afford dog food and pay if your dog gets sick one day.
Related: How Much is a German Shepherd?
More Information About German Shepherd Breeders From Rhode Island
Reputable breeders of German Shepherds will be good about communicating with you. They should be open and transparent about all aspects of their breeding operation.
They also should not have a litter available all the time because this could be a sign that they are not treating the dogs well. Be careful about placing deposits or sending any funds until you are 100% sure about your choice of breeder.
Conclusion For “German Shepherd Puppies in Rhode Island”
We recommend you use our suggestions and advice on finding a German Shepherd breeder and selecting a puppy. Use our list of top German Shepherd breeders in Rhode Island and nearby states to start the search for a perfect puppy for you and your family.
For more guides similar to this list of German Shepherd breeders in Rhode Island, you can check out:
- Best German Shepherd Breeders in Iowa
- Best German Shepherd Breeders in Kansas
- Best German Shepherd Breeders in Oregon
Before you bring home a German Shepherd puppy from a breeder in Rhode Island, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “Reasons Not to Get a German Shepherd – Dogs 101” down below: