To adopt a Border Collie, you will need a list of Border Collie rescues in Minnesota. This guide lists 5 rescues that solely rescue and rehabilitate Border Collies; are located in Minnesota, and one is in Texas. By nature, the Border Collie is a herding dog.
It has provided support to sheepherders across the globe for generations, but now it is more popular as a companion animal in cities and metropolises. Because they are active by nature, it is essential to understand the responsibilities of adopting a Border Collie.
For example, unlike other dogs, a walk a day might not do the trick, and you will need to provide dedicated exercise and an outdoor play area for your Collie. Many Border Collies end up in shelters because their owners do not realize how much outside time and exercise the Border Collie needs.
Therefore, understand the need of the breed before committing. With so many Border Collies in shelters across the United States, if you decide to adopt one, you are helping the animal community and doing some for the greater good of the Border Collie population.
Before you scroll down this list of Border Collie rescues in Minnesota, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Great Dane Rescues in Minnesota and Best Corgi Rescues in Minnesota.
Border Collie Puppies For Sale in Minnesota
This guide created by our team at We Love Doodles will help you find the best Border Collie rescues in Minnesota with available dogs for adoption.
Border Collie Product Recommendations: Best Shampoos For Matted Dog Hair and Best Dog Scooting Treatments.
1. Heart of a Border Collie Rescue
Heart of a Border Collie Rescue is a registered 501 (c) (3) charity organization rescues vulnerable and abandoned Border Collies in Minnesota. They provide medical treatment and safe shelter through an extensive foster home network. In addition, they also train prospective foster parents.
Heart of a Border Collie Rescue serves the state of Minnesota and Dakota, and other neighboring states. The rescue has a good grip on what kind of household environments would suit Border Collies and why so many are in shelters. If you are unsure if you should adopt a Border Collie, then you should read their page on what it will involve if you adopt one.
To adopt a Border Collie from this rescue, you need to know the following:
- They will only allow adoptions within a 400-mile radius of the shelter, which is situated in Minnesota.
- You will need to fill out an adoption application that is not binding.
- You will receive a call from the shelter if your application is approved. If it is not, you will not hear from them.
- They will do a vet reference check and a home check if your application is approved. The home check may be in person or virtual. You will also have to be interviewed by the shelter.
- Your application is then moved to the foster home. If the foster home feels you are a good fit, then you can make an appointment to meet the dog in person.
- You will sign an adoption contract and take the dog home if all goes well.
- Each adoption includes a spay/neuter, initial vaccination, heartworm tests, and microchipping.
Heart of a Border Collie Rescue Details
- Location: Minnesota
- Email Address: [email protected]
- Website: Heart of a Border Collie
- Socials: Heart of a Border Collie Rescue’s Facebook
2. Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue
The Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue is a dog and puppy rescue in Minnesota that provides Border Collie rescues in the Minnesota-Wisconsin region. They have foster homes in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and neighboring states. They have provided Border Collies as far as New York and Texas.
They have smooth and rough Border Collies and even Collie mixes. Individuals interested in adopting a Border Collie should browse the website to see if any dogs interest them. You can then fill out an adoption application if you find a Collie that interests you.
The rescue recommends that you fill out an application even if you do not find a Collie that interests you, as many dogs come in frequently, and chances are that you will be contacted when a suitable one is found.
To adopt from Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue, you need to have done the following:
- Fence your yard securely. Border Collies are highly energetic, and unfenced yards will not be acceptable.
- An appropriate area where the dog can exercise and play.
- A signed adoption contract and payment of the fee to take the dog home. You must read the adoption contract before starting the adoption process.
- Payment of $25 for the adoption application fee.
All adopted dogs are spayed/neutered, microchipped, and receive basic immunizations. If you are a senior citizen, you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue Details
- Location: 1600 18th Avenue NE, Box 68006 Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Website: Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue
- Socials: Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue’s Facebook
3. Midwest Border Collie Rescue
Midwest Border Collie Rescue serves the Midwest region, mainly Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Indiana. This is a great place to start if you are looking for a Border Collie rescue in Minnesota. The rescue provides a safe space for Border Collies where they can stay until they find their forever homes.
They provide medical care to abused, injured, and unwanted Collies. Their policy is to find a home for the dog as long as it takes. They do not believe in euthanizing dogs and so are a no-kill shelter.
All dogs that are adopted are:
- Have had basic vaccinations
- Are spayed and neutered
- Have been treated for fleas and ticks
- Started on Heartworm prevention medication.
Midwest Border Collie Rescue Details
- Location: Nationwide
- Website: Midwest Border Collie Rescue
- Socials: Facebook and Instagram
4. Ruff Start Rescue
If you cannot find a Border Collie at a breed-specific pet rescue in Minnesota, then you should try Ruff Start Rescue. It is an all-breed dog rescue in Minnesota that serves most southern states by providing safe shelter to cats, dogs, and many other animals.
Ruff Start Rescue depends on a vast network of foster shelters but also has temporary housing. They focus on areas that suffer from pet overpopulation. If you are interested in adopting from Ruff Start Rescue, then you should know at the moment that they are only allowing adoptions from within the state of Minnesota.
Their standard adoption procedure involves the following:
- Submitting an online adoption application.
- Ruff Start Rescue will get back to you within 48 hours of submission.
- After your application has been approved, and if the foster home thinks you will be a good fit, they will arrange for a meet and greet.
- If both parties decide to move forward, a home visit will be conducted, and veterinary reference checks will be made.
- You will be asked to sign an adoption contract and pay the fee if all goes well.
Ruff Start Rescue Details
- Address: 12526 319th Ave Princeton, Minnesota
- Phone Number: (763) 355-3981
- Email Address: [email protected]
- Website: Ruff Start Rescue
5. Border Collie Save and Rescue
Border Collie Save and Rescue is located in Central and North Texas. Border Collie Save and Rescue is a great choice if you cannot find Border Collie rescues in Minnesota. They are a registered 501 c 3 and specialize in Border Collies. Border Collie Save and Rescue adopts most of their dogs from within Texas and neighboring states.
They have individuals who adopt from out of state but at their own expense. Moreover, they prioritize residents unless you are willing to travel to Texas to see the dog in person and arrange for its transportation.
Their adoption process is quick and simple. It consists of the following three steps:
- Fill out an application. The shelter will take 7-14 days to get back to you.
- A phone interview will be conducted where the shelter will call you and ask you questions about your living situation and how you plan to take care of Collie.
- A home visit will be conducted to verify the information you provided during the interview. We suggest being honest and forthright since they will visit your house to confirm the information.
- Then a matching process will occur where the rescue will try to find a dog that suits your living situation. They recommend that you do not wait for the perfect dog to come along, as there is no such thing.
- You can take your dog home. Adoptions fees are $300 for puppies under six months and $100 for dogs eight years and older.
All applicants must be 18 years or older. All dogs are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and are on flea or tick prevention medication.
Border Collie Save and Rescue Details
- Address: Central and North Texas
- Website: Border Collie Save and Rescue
- Socials: Facebook
How to Choose Border Collie Rescues in Minnesota
Now that you have a good list of breed-specific rescues in Minnesota, you can start your search for your Border Collie. The most important thing to remember about Border Collies is that, in most cases, the dog has already been abandoned because the owner was not aware of the exercise requirements of Collies.
Collies are, by nature, herding dogs and require time to get out and run around. A walk in the park might not cut it. So, it would be a good idea to talk to your family members and the rescue before you commit to adopting a Border Collie.
Conclusion For The “Best Border Collie Rescues in Minnesota”
This list of Border Collie rescues in Minnesota is perfect to jumpstart your search for the ideal dog. We suggest you adopt a dog from a rescue in your area; however, if you cannot find one in Minnesota, traveling to Texas and bringing back an adorable dog is not such a bad idea. Here’s hoping you find your Border Collie today.
For more guides similar to this list of Border Collie rescues in Minnesota, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team:
- Best Border Collie Rescues in Midwest
- Best Border Collie Rescues in Texas
- Best Border Collie Rescues in Arizona
Before you adopt a Border Collie companion from a rescue shelter in Minnesota, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching the “Border Collie The Pros and Cons of Owning One” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.