The Mastiff was recognized in 1885 by the AKC and is believed to have originated in Asia. The Mastiff ranked # 55 in the 2020 most popular dog breed rankings. When considering the best dog food for Mastiffs, it’s important to examine health issues that your Mastiff may be prone to and educate yourself on feeding a rapidly growing giant breed puppy. Proper nutrition is essential throughout puppyhood up to 2 years of age to allow for slow and steady growth.
The Mastiff is a large, powerful, and heavily boned giant dog breed with a broadly rectangular-shaped head. The American Kennel Club (AKC) describes this adorable breed as courageous, good-natured, and dignified.
Male Mastiffs can reach up to 230 pounds, with females weighing up to 170 pounds in weight. With a shorter life expectancy than most dog breeds, you’re looking at a 6-10-year life expectancy. The Mastiff is patient, stoic, calm, and one of the best companion breeds.
The Mastiff has a low to moderate activity level and enjoys swimming and outdoor hiking trips. The Mastiff Club of America (MCOA) adds that not all Mastiffs are the same. One has to examine a dog’s genetic and environmental history that affects health, attitude, temperament, and responses to stimuli. To maintain good health, your Mastiff needs more than just regular veterinary care.
In a rush? Here are the top picks!
The high protein formula featuring healthy carbs maintains muscle mass and limits extra weight gain. It also helps to increase strength. This formula is a raw food diet which is an all-natural diet making it easier for your Mastiff to digest and less likely to result in allergies.
Stella & Chewy offers various products like meal toppers and mixers to combine with your traditional diet. The chicken and beef dinner patties are always sold out. This company was founded in 2003 and carries freeze-dried, raw, wet food and healthy treats. All recipes in this brand are crafted with 90 – 95 % meat, healthy organs and bones.
- Raw coated beef recipe
- Minimally-processed recipe
- Grass-fed beef as the #1 ingredient
- Made in the U.S
- Protein focused nutrition
- Gently baked in small batches.
This is a great way to provide dogs with a healthy raw diet. This brand manufactures in the U.S. and only uses human-grade ingredients that are responsibly resourced. The freeze-dried patties are available in either beef or chicken recipes for small, medium, or large breeds.
Stewart’s has been around for over 44 years and provides high-quality dog food recipes. We like this recipe because it allows for a high level of nutrients, and you have the option of feeding this alone as a complete and balanced diet or as a topper to kibble.
- Raw diet for dogs (freeze-dried)
- Crude protein at 44%
- Works well as either a topper or a meal
- Grain & gluten-free
- Complete & balanced
- Priced well
- Gently processed USDA-certified ingredients
- 209 kcals per cup
Holistic Select has been around for close to ten years and focuses on using natural ingredients like fruits, veggies, and healthy proteins to support optimal digestion in puppies and adult dogs. All their recipes feature pre & probiotics, natural fiber, digestive enzymes & digestive botanicals to promote good health.
This formula is beneficial for large and giant breed puppy health. Holistic Select is a USA-manufactured lamb dinner for growing Mastiff puppies. The recipe features DHA that is beneficial in cerebral development and is also wheat-free.
- Omega 3 fatty acids from salmon oil and flaxseed to support healthy skin and coat
- Supports balanced muscular & skeletal development
- Formulated with DHA to support healthy brain & eye development
- No meat by-products
- No wheat or wheat gluten
- No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
Annamaet formulated dog food for all life stages and believes in sustainability and innovation. They add nutraceuticals and ingredients like algae and turmeric to their formulas. The Annamaet plant where the manufacturing is done is Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified, meaning that they maintain the gold standard of marine sustainability.
The MSC Eco label you see on the packaging label means that the fish used in all the formulas is a certified sustainable source of fish traced from the shipping boat to the dog food bag. We like this brand because we’re big on everything eco-friendly. Annamaet features fresh silver carp as its #1 ingredient in this recipe.
- Family-owned & operated
- Silver carp and turkey meal as the first two ingredients
- Senior formula
- 366 kcal/cup
- Holistic & natural
- Artisanal production, only slow cooking small batches
- Grain-free formula
For dog lovers wishing to ensure digestive health in their Mastiffs, Taste of the Wild Salmon Dry Dog Food is crafted with guaranteed probiotics. This is a healthy product for Mastiffs with digestive health issues.
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food Salmon Recipe features sweet potatoes – a good source of dietary fiber- as its third ingredient; this dog food is loaded with antioxidants and offers a high source of vitamin E.
Sweet potatoes contain many essential nutrients and include vitamins A, B6, and C, calcium, folate, copper, thiamine, iron and potassium. We like Taste of the Wild as a brand because most of their formulas are appropriate for high-energy dogs when fed the correct amounts. There is also a significant focus on exotic proteins to meet every dog’s nutritional requirements and life stages.
- Crafted for the adult dog life stage
- Sustainably sourced Pacific stream salmon
- Egg-free recipe
- Priced well
- Grain-free recipe
- Family-owned brand
- Made in the U.S.
Caru Daily dish stews are a moist dog food made in the U.S. and come in Tetra Pak cartons. Caru has been around since 2010 and is made in Florida, USA. The formulas are all made with non-GMO ingredients and are available in multiple flavors, such as turkey with wild salmon stew, chicken stew, beef stew, turkey with lamb stew, turkey stew, and beef with chicken stew.
This is a limited ingredient diet that’s slow-cooked at low temperatures to preserve nutrient value. There is added savory gravy, and all their recipes are made with 100% human-grade ingredients.
We like this brand for Mastiffs because you have numerous recipes to choose from, and it’s priced affordably. Caru Daily also works well as a topper on kibble if you have a multi-pet home. Here’s the take with this dog food brand:
- 100% human-grade ingredients
- Made in a human food plant in the U.S
- Exclusive low temperature, small-batch process
- Grain-free & gluten-free recipes
- Priced well
- Easy- to- feed
- Tetra Pak cartons
- It should be refrigerated once opened and is good for up to 3 days
- 785 kcal/kg, 278 kcal/pack
The Mastiff is a healthy breed but may be predisposed to genetic health. Before purchasing a Mastiff from a reputable dog breeder, you should ask to see the genetic health testing information.
You should also verify the testing by finding the sire and dam on OFFA. Vet checked doesn’t relate to the genetics of your Mastiff pup. Here’s the take on what health issues you should look out for:
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Congenital heart disease
- Patellar luxation
- Eye certification
- Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA)
- Canine multifocal retinopathy (CMR)
Commercial Dog Foods for Mastiffs
Your Mastiff will need a high-quality diet that’s appropriate for his breed to keep him in optimal health. Whether you’re deciding to feed an organic, dehydrated, dry, or wet food diet, nutritional regimens need to be taken seriously because they’re an essential part of your Mastiff’s health and well-being. Here are our top picks for the 6 best dog foods in 2021 for this special dog breed.
What to consider before buying the Best Dog Food for a Mastiff:
- Dog food formulas should not feature artificial flavors, coloring, or preservatives like propylene glycol.
- Mastiff dog food formulas may be more nutritious and beneficial if they are crafted with whole foods instead of processed ingredients.
- Dog food formulas are best if they use real meat as the first ingredient
- Organ meats may be beneficial too for all dog breeds.
- There should be adequate calcium in the formula.
- Added vegetables for fiber and nutrients like flavonoids are good.
- Formulas should be tested using AAFCO feeding trials or by formulation to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles.
- Look for specific quality control measures to assure consistency of recipes and the quality of each ingredient used.
- All dog food diets have to be complete and balanced.
- Each dog food formula must show the life stage it is intended for.
- AAFCO provides nutrient profiles for all life stages, with one exception, the senior geriatric pup.
- Recipes need to meet AAFCO profiles for all life stages and meet the minimum nutrient levels for growth and adult maintenance in all dog breeds.
- The dog food recipes should be manufactured by a reputable and knowledgeable pet food company that maintains the highest quality control measures over the years with minimal recalls.
- Puppies should only consume a puppy food formula.
- Large breed pups like the Mastiff need to be on a large breed puppy diet to ensure proper growth and no growth abnormalities.
- Formulas should feature antioxidants, Omega 3’s, healthy ingredients, and a balanced diet for the appropriate life stage.
- Dog food should not be overly processed.
Conclusion for Best Dog Foods for Mastiffs
With every pet food in the U.S. claiming to be “complete and balanced,” you’ll need to dig a little deeper to solve possible hidden dangers or misconceptions.
So, how do you know whether you’re getting what you’re buying? Making optimal dietary choices for your Mastiff means longevity, good health, and fewer veterinary bills. High-quality dog food can also be beneficial in helping your Mastiff focus during positive dog training.
If your Mastiff is an older dog or is overweight, now may be the time to opt for a healthier dog food recipe. Chemicals like BHA and BHT are used in cheaper, low-quality dog foods to give dog food a more extended shelf life.
Ingredients like corn that are often found in dog food may be problematic for dogs to digest and may contribute to obesity. Suppose you want to take care excellent care of your Mastiff. In that case, you’ll need to look at your commercial dog food brand, see at how it’s processed, check out the number of unhealthy carbs, artificial flavors, by-product meals, and additives, and opt for a natural diet that embraces whole named meats, natural vitamins and minerals, fruits and veggies, and other super healthy ingredients like quinoa, pumpkin, broccoli, oranges, cranberry, USDA beef, beef heart, beef liver, and so forth.
Today, it’s easier than ever to feed your furry best friend a high-quality diet with human-grade ingredients. As pet parents, we’re more educated about what a healthy, human-grade pet food diet for dogs means and that we should opt for high-quality proteins and fats, complex carbohydrates, and prebiotics for good gut health. Cheap commercial diets loaded with sugars, and low in prebiotics may lead to an imbalance and plenty of health issues in all dog breeds.
As usual, opt for dog rescue before going out and purchasing a Mastiff puppy. “I would definitely encourage anybody to rescue an animal whenever they get an opportunity, whether that’s while they are traveling, or just rescuing a pet from their local shelter,” adds Gus Kenworthy via Fido Friendly, Claudia Bensimoun.
Other articles you will like:
Claudia Bensimoun is a writer who specializes in dog content and veterinary topics! Aside from writing for We Love Doodles, Claudia also writes for other major dog blogs like Fido Friendly, Animal Wellness Magazine, and the United States Dog Agility Association (USDAA). She has a ghostwritten over 50 different dog e-books. Her passions include animal welfare, veterinary research, and wildlife conservation.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.