The terrific Pitbull is a medium-sized, solid, and muscular dog breed that if socialized and positively trained during puppyhood makes for one of the best companion dogs. The American Pit Bull belongs to the UKC Terrier group and has a long history of being a physically active dog breed.
The American Pitbull Terrier is athletic, strong, and has many talents. As an adult, this breed does well with regular exercise, positive dog training, lots of mental and environmental stimulation, dog sports, as well as lots of human interaction. This is a dog breed that should not be left alone at home all day.
This intelligent dog breed loves being around people and children, and pet parents should try to avoid common mistakes of thinking that this dog breed should be a guard dog breed. Visit dog parks and dog beaches throughout puppyhood, enjoy coffee shops with your Pitbull, and start positive dog training during puppyhood so that you’ll end up with a well-balanced and well-liked Pitbull that’s easy to be around.
The UKC adds the following “Today, the American Pit Bull Terrier continues to demonstrate its versatility, competing successfully in Obedience, Rally Obedience, Tracking, Agility, Lure Coursing, Dock Jumping and Weight Pulls, as well as Conformation.” They also explain that the Pitbull’s desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds, and the desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds.
Because this breed is energetic and physically active, and may be prone to hip dysplasia, heart problems, luxating patellas, and possible thyroid problems, it’s important to find the best dog diet that is also affordable.
Keep in mind that medium-sized Pitbulls become adult dogs between 12-14 months, so you’re going to have to switch formulas, and that if you have a large breed Pitbull, he may only become an adult at around 24 months. Consult with your veterinarian when it comes down to feeding correctly for all life stages so that you can prevent hereditary issues like hip dysplasia, obesity, bloat, and so forth. Prevention is key when it comes to keeping all dog breeds healthy.
The most important tip with dog food is to feed for the correct life stage and to follow the guidelines for feeding Pitbull puppies, adults, seniors, lactating females, and so forth. Your best bet is to work with your veterinarian, so as to ensure that your Pitbull has no underlying health issues and that if you’re thinking of switching dog food, you do so gradually with a well-balanced formula.
We’ll share our top 7 choices for the best affordable dog food for Pitbulls. Next, we will go over an overview of dog food ingredients and AAFCO regulations. Then, we’ll highlight key nutrients that you’ll find in the very best food for Pit Bulls. We’ve reviewed dozens of dog food brands for Pitbulls and narrowed our list to find you the best affordable dry dog food for Pitbulls.
In a rush? Here are the Top Picks:
The Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Real Salmon & Potato Recipe is suitable for all life stages, and is a skin and coat blend to promote a healthy Pitbull lifestyle at an affordable cost. It features a minimum crude protein of 25% with most of its protein coming from salmon and fish meal, which is the second ingredient. It also offers kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, and more! These natural ingredients help Pitbulls digest their food easier.
The label analysis indicates that crude fat content is at 14% with crude fiber at 5%. The first five ingredients are salmon, fish meal, potatoes, lentils, and peas. This formula may help your Pitbulls skin allergies because it contains no corn, wheat or fillers. As usual, follow up with the FDA’s investigation of whether grain-free dog foods contribute towards canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). This product has over 3,699 positive ratings and is one of the most popular and affordable dog foods on Amazon.
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Supports gastrointestinal and brain health
- No corn, fillers, or wheat
- Features fruits and veggies like blueberries, papaya and kelp
- Good amino acid profile
- Wild-caught salmon is the first ingredient, and is high in protein
- Zero grains
- No corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Affordable for multipet households
- Features a large array of veggies and fruits offering antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Features proprietary probiotics for optimal digestive health
- Made in the US
- For all life stages from pup to senior
- Good for dogs with sensitive skin that may be prone to allergies and hot spots
- Slightly low in protein, but for the price, this is a great dry dog food for Pitbulls.
Another popular dog food formula with over 1,452 positive reviews is Crave. This is a well-known dog food brand with the parent company being Mars. If you’re looking for one of best inexpensive dry dog foods for Pitbulls, Crave may be the answer. It’s high on proteins at 34% protein and is good for active Pitbulls. Here’s the take on this dog food formula, it uses a real high-quality animal protein and is formulated with no corn, wheat, or soy and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Crave has chicken as its first ingredient, followed by chicken meal, chickpeas, peas, and pork meal. It also features chicken fat which is high in linoleic acid. This formula uses chelated minerals for easier absorption. That said, there’s an above-average protein rate in the formula, as well as above-average fat which we think is good for Pitbulls with an active lifestyle or trying to build muscle. Once again, this is a grain-free recipe, so you’ll need to follow up with all the FDA updates on grain-free dog foods and DCM.
Crave uses no artificial coloring, dyes, or animal by-products. It contains split peas, lentils, pea starch, beet pulp, flaxseed, and dehydrated alfalfa meal for carbs and fiber sources. These are a good form of energy for active dog breeds like the Pitbull. With that said, dogs with kidney problems should not consume peas because they contain purine. Pea protein and pea fiber can also be a way of boosting protein content but is not the case here with this formula because you have chicken and pork which are two animal proteins.
- Fresh chicken as its first ingredient
- No artificial ingredients
- 34% protein
- 2 animal protein sources-pork and chicken
- Contains omega fatty acids for skin and coat health
- Made in the US
- Pea starch and split peas (allergy factor, kidney consideration). Discuss with a veterinarian if you Pitbull has allergies or kidney issues.
Blue Buffalo reviews continue to peak with over 14,202 positive reviews on Amazon. This is because Blue Buffalo’s Life Protection Formula offers natural, real, wholesome grains and fruit with deboned chicken as its first ingredient. It’s also a relatively affordable dog food for Pitbulls.
It features essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin. The average protein content runs at 24% with a mean fat level of 16%. This is an adult dog food only, so it would be one of the best dog foods for adult Pit Bulls.
This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits which is a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists. This helps support a Pitbulls immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance. The first five ingredients include the following: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal.
Blue Buffalo offers 23 dry dog food formulas in the Life Protection product line. As with any dog food brand, follow dog food recalls via the FDA. This is something that you need to do regularly, regardless of the dog food brand that you’re feeding.
- BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
- No corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, food coloring, or preservatives
- Cold-formed to preserve the potency
- Antioxidant-rich ingredients
- Features fish oil for skin and coat health
- Antioxidant-rich ingredients
- No corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, food coloring or preservatives
- Features fish oil
- Features oatmeal as a source rich in B-vitamins
- Chicken as its first ingredient
- No artificial ingredients
- No chicken by-products
- Contains barley which is a good fiber source, and brown rice which is easy to digest
- Features carrots, blueberries, cranberries, dried kelp, and barley grass
- None, we really like this dog food.
Yet again, another outstanding dog food brand that has over 6,698 positive ratings is Taste of the Wild. When you see ratings like these, you’ve got to take a second look and examine the ingredients list. This is an affordable dog food for Pitbull puppies. Offering 32% protein content, your Pitbull puppy is going to enjoy the taste and build muscle.
Packed with vitamins B, A, E, and D, plenty of antioxidants to combat free radicals, as well as amino acids, Taste of the Wild Puppy Premium dog food formula is beneficial in promoting a strong immune system, which is a good defense against devastating dog diseases. Vitamin A is also good for pets with viral infections, epilepsy, leukemia, and mange, as well as for skin health and muscle development in young, active, and growing Pitbull puppies.
The nutrient profiles in this formula include DHA and amino acids for optimal cognitive health and vision. As another grain-free formula, it’s great, but because this is a grain-free recipe, you’ll need to follow up with all the FDA updates on grain-free dog foods and DCM. If your Pitbull has been on a grain-free diet for a while, consider consulting with your veterinarian and having your furry best friend checked out for DCM.
Real Bison and Venison is the #1 ingredient optimal amino acid profile and is extremely protein-rich to build muscles in your Pitbull. If you’re worried about cost, Taste of the Wild is extremely affordable considering the protein sources of pasture-raised bison and venison. The first five ingredients are buffalo, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, and peas. For the amount of protein you get, this is an affordable dog food.
- Features high-protein content for puppies (32% protein)
- Contains the right amount of antioxidants and vitamins to promote optimal puppy health
- Features vitamin E for good vision, and to promote healthy skin, hair, and bones
- Features vitamin E, known as a heart vitamin for fighting heart disease and cancer by promoting optimal immune health
- Vitamin A is also good for pets with viral infections, epilepsy, leukemia, and mange
- Contains two real animal proteins like bison and venison which is good for Pitbull puppies
- Made in the US
- Features their own K9 strain proprietary blend of probiotics for optimal digestion and gut health
- Affordable dry dog food
- Reputable brand with consistently good reviews over the years
- Packed with the necessary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to promote good puppy growth and health
- Free of grain, soy, and corn
- Features DHA, an omega 3 fatty acid supplement which is good for brain and nervous system development in growing puppies
- None. This is our top dog food for Pitbull puppies.
Another familiar and reputable dog food brand that has been around forever is Eukanuba. Eukanuba Adult dry dog food for large breeds is a good dog food for Pitbull breeds because it belongs to the parent company Mars, Inc. All the sourced ingredients come from New Zealand, the US, and Europe.
Additionally, Eukanuba Adult dry dog food is a premium brand that is affordable and has an array of different product lines and formulas that all pet parents love. The first five ingredients here include the following: chicken, corn meal, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken by-product (natural source of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), and barley.
In addition, this dog food formula features Denta Defense to optimize dental health in dogs. It also features a combination of animal protein, chondroitin sulfate, and 50% more glucosamine vs. Eukanuba Adult Medium Breed.
This formula is beneficial in promoting focus and supports optimal brain function with DHA and vitamin E. It supports an active Pitbull lifestyle because it contains optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates for energy. High-quality chicken is the first ingredient for protein at 23% protein. Why we like this formula is because it has added glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate which is great for joint issues in dogs.
- Features a combination of animal protein, chondroitin sulfate, and 50% more glucosamine vs. Eukanuba Adult Medium Breed.
- It also contains whole-grain barley as the 5th ingredient. Barley is high in fiber and easy to digest.
- This is a good and affordable dog food for Pitbulls because it targets joint issues, with not one, but two awesome ingredients like chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine
- The formula also features DENTA Defense to combat tartar buildup in every bite of kibble.
- High-quality chicken is the first ingredient for protein
- DHA and vitamin E to promote a healthy brain, and optimal health
- Added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active adult dogs with a combination of animal protein, chondroitin sulfate, and 50% more glucosamine vs. Eukanuba Adult Medium Breed
- Promotes an active lifestyle with optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates
- A reputable brand that’s trusted among pet parents.
- Affordable dry dog food
- In terms of popularity, it isn’t as popular as some of the other large brand names. However, the parent company is Mars.
With over 4,169 positive reviews, Purina ProPlan with Probiotics is 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs, especially Pitbulls. This is a holistic adult dog food that has the following five ingredients as its first ones. The first five ingredients are the following: beef, rice flour, whole grain wheat, corn gluten, and poultry by-product. This is also another popular dog food brand that is well-liked and reputable.
This dog food has been around forever and is trusted among many different Pitbull parents. This is the shredded blend of Complete Essentials formula and is one of the best inexpensive dog foods for Pitbulls. This is because it has added probiotics for optimal digestive health in Pitbulls, and also features natural prebiotic fiber to support digestive health.
As in all the above mentioned dog food formulas, it’s 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs and comes highly recommended by other pet parents.
- Vitamin B-12 supplement
- Riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2)
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6)
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9)
- Beef as its first ingredient
- Shredded blend with meaty pieces
- Beef as the first ingredient
- Added prebiotics and probiotics for gut health (important for Pitbulls)
- Features vitamin A, linoleic acid, and omega-6 fatty acids
- Affordable for multi-pet households
- Reputable brand
- Good formula that may prevent bloating and digestive issues
- Made in the United States
- It does have some filler ingredients, but overall is a great dog food!
Pedigree Adult dog food comes with over 6,174 positive ratings and is the cheapest dog food for Pitbulls. In addition, this is probably one of the most reasonably priced dog foods for multi-pet households. With that said, let’s take a look at the Grilled Steak and Vegetable “flavor” and see how much goodness your Pitbull may get from this formula.
The first five ingredients are as follows: Whole grain corn, meat and bone meal, corn meal, animal fat, and soybean. We have “grilled steak flavor” listed toward the end, and chicken-by product, as the 7th ingredient. You can tell there are tons of filler ingredients in this dog food, but for the price, it provides good nutrition for Pitbulls.
- Affordability – Cheap Dog Food for Pitbulls
- Made in the U.S.
- Well-known brand
- Fortified with vitamins and minerals
- Contains meat and bone meal which are sources of protein
- Features chicken as a by-product meal which is also a source of protein
- Features a good amount of omega-6 fatty acids for skin and coat health
- No artificial flavors or added sugars
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
- Added vitamin B12 supplement, as well as B2, B1, and D3 supplements
- Whole grain corn as the first ingredient. Other filler ingredients.
How to Choose an Affordable Dog Food for a Pitbull?
If you’re like all of us, you’ll want the best dog food for your Pitbull. Ideally, you’ll want your furry best friend to consume a nutritious and high-quality diet that will help to maintain optimal health, and also give your dog the energy he needs to be the active. If your Pitbull is prone to allergic dermatitis or IBD, you’ll need to consult with your veterinarian about which diet works best.
The best dog food formulas are made with the simplest and most nutritious ingredients. Look for high-quality ingredients such as whole meats, fruits, vegetables, and grains, and take heed of the different macronutrients like proteins, fats, and carbs.
You will need to provide your Pitbull with the most appropriate diet that is healthy and beneficial for his life stage so that you can give your dog a long and healthy life. Also, keep in mind that feeding healthy helps with brain focus, and behavioral issues, so it will definitely be beneficial during dog training.
AAFCO model regulations and the federal feed laws stipulate that all pet food labels need to list all the ingredients in their formulas in descending order, according to the weight of each ingredient listed. With that said, it’s easy to see where the most important sources of calories and proteins are coming from – the first five ingredients listed. The first ingredient is the one ingredient that is present in the highest amount.
Here’s what you need in a high-quality dog food for your Pitbull:
- Dog food formulas should contain no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives such as propylene glycol.
- Diets should include whole foods instead of processed foods.
- They should also use real meat instead of meat meal. This is important.
- Organ meats are also beneficial to dogs.
- Look out for by-products such as organ meats, which are fine, but no non-meat parts.
- There should be a good source of calcium in the dog food formula.
- The formulas should contain vegetables for fiber and nutrients such as flavonoids.
- Diets need to be tested using AAFCO feeding trials, or by formulation to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles.
- There must be specific quality control measures to assure consistency and quality of all ingredients used, as well as for the end product.
- All dog food diets should be complete and balanced.
- The dog food formulas should indicate what life stage it is intended for.
- AAFCO provides nutrient profiles for all different life stages, all but for one, the senior geriatric dog.
- All dog food formulas must meet the AAFCO profiles for all life stages and must meet the minimum nutrient levels for growth and adult maintenance in dogs.
- A reputable and knowledgeable dog food company that has the highest quality control measures must make the dog food formula.
- Dog food should not be made in China, nor should any of the ingredients originate from China.
- Puppies should only eat a puppy food formula, and should always be fed a puppy formula.
- Large breed pups like the Pitbull or German Shepherd need to be on a large breed puppy diet to ensure correct growth and no growth abnormalities.
- Formulas should contain antioxidants, Omega 3’s, healthy ingredients, and a balanced diet for the appropriate life stage.
Nutritional Requirements of a Pitbull
Because the Pitbull has varying sizes, medium and large, the feeding requirements will be different for both sizes. That said, it’s important to feed a high-quality dog food from a reputable brand. It also helps to check out the reviews, and see what consumers have to say.
Here’s what to look for when choosing a high-quality Pitbull dog food. General ingredients that include whole meats, fruits, or vegetables in their top 5 ingredients are considered good foods. Those that also incorporate antioxidants like blueberries; cranberries, pomegranates, and pumpkin are also becoming popular. With that said, organic, natural, and preservative-free with no artificial ingredients, are also key to a well- balanced, and high-quality dog food.
Here’s what to stay away from when choosing an affordable dog food for Pitbulls:
- Added sugars like corn syrup, molasses, and beet sugar
- Artificial coloring, preservatives, flavoring
- Animal fat preserved with BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin
- Salt should not be high
- Vitamins and minerals that are not chelated. Chelated vitamins and minerals improve absorption.
- Ingredient splitting like meat product followed by more than one grain or starch
- Corn is often contaminated with mold and aflatoxins
It’s important to feed your puppies and adult dogs consciously at all times. This is because food is the foundation of life, and what you feed your Pitbull will affect how prone he may be to disease in years to come. You’ll need to get your Pitbull used to eating high-quality dog food that is free of additives, preservatives, flavoring, and basically all“artificial” ingredients.
You’ll need to opt for dog food formulas with the healthiest ingredients. If your dog gets used to consuming unhealthy additives, he may start enjoying unhealthy dog food formulas and treats with salt, sugars, or flavor enhancers that are not good for health. You want to avoid any ingredients that could trigger cancer in your Pitbull.
If you’re opting to make a dietary change, do so gradually to avoid digestive issues. If your Pitbull is overweight, it’s never too late to make a change to avoid chronic health issues like obesity and diabetes.
Additionally, the adorable Pitbull also may be prone to hip dysplasia, and joint issues, so you’re going to have to feed him correctly from puppyhood with puppy food specifically formulated for the puppy stage. You shouldn’t be feeding a Pitbull puppy adult dog food.
The most important thing that you can do is not to get distracted by marketing tactics and good advertising. Watch out for the words “natural,” “organic,” and “whole foods”. When you’re looking out for the best interests of your Pitbull, it’s necessary to work closely with your veterinarian, so that you can find the best dry dog food for Pitbulls.
Here’s what you should understand when choosing the best dog food for Pitbull breeds:
- You have to always consider your dog’s age, health, size, activity level, and health needs before choosing a dog food formula.
- Dog food formulas have to be for the correct life stage.
- Supplements are important.
- Fresh fruits and veggies are necessary as part of a dog’s diet, but you’ll need to avoid the ones that are dangerous to dogs.
- Learn how to bake healthy dog treats with wholesome ingredients for your dogs.
- Explore kelp, seaweed, chlorella, and all things green for your dog’s health. Keep in mind that dogs cannot eat dried, wild seaweed.
- If you’re confused as to how to feed, consult with your vet. That said, working dogs and dogs that are active will need to consume more calories.
- Dogs that hang out on the couch all day will need to consume fewer calories to prevent obesity.
Common Dog Food Allergies with Pitbulls
Dogs, especially Pitbulls, can be allergic to a variety of ingredients. The most common ones tend to be chicken, lamb, dairy, fish, eggs, corn, wheat, soy, and beef. Allergies will vary with different dogs, and if you find that your Pitbull is allergic to something, it’s best to consult with your veterinarian. This is because when dogs are allergic to one ingredient, they’re also possibly allergic to other ingredients.
Food allergies will usually include excessive itching, diarrhea, ear inflammation, vomiting, and hot spots. If you suspect that your Pitbull needs to be on a hypoallergenic dog food diet for Pitbulls, talk to your veterinarian.
Your Pitbull will first be put on an elimination diet to determine the ingredient that he’s allergic to. As usual, it’s up to you to feed a high-quality dog food diet that is well-balanced. Adding lots of veggies, fruits, and supplements to your dog’s diet will also give him the phytonutrients that he needs to prevent disease and improve health.
Conclusion for Best Affordable Dog Food for Pitbulls
Choosing an affordable dog food for Pitbulls isn’t easy. While you’re trying to maintain a budget, but select a healthy dog food for your Pitbull, we suggest that you look at the ingredients list. In general, you want real meat to be the #1 listed ingredient. In addition, you should check for protein and fat content as this will be important for your Pitbull puppy to grow. We hope that you found an affordable dog food for your Pitbull!