1. PuliFirst on the list of weird dog breeds is the Puli. Originating in Hungary over 1,000 years ago, the Puli is a herding dog. A very distinct sheepdog type, Pulis were used to guard and herd livestock and sheep. However, these dogs do not look like the typical type of sheepdog.
3. Bedlington TerrierNext on our list of weird dog breeds, we have the Bedlington Terrier. These dogs were initially bred to be hunters in Northeast England. These hunting genes have led these dogs to become popular sporting dogs often used in racing and competitions.
4. Brussels GriffonOne of the most miniature breeds on our list, the Brussels Griffon, is a tiny dog with a huge personality. Originally bred to clear stables of vermin, the Brussels Griffon is a feisty dog with the appearance to match.
5. XoloitzcuintleXoloitzcuintles are an ancient dog breed with roots reaching back over 3,000 years. These dogs are said to be the dogs of the Aztec gods and goddesses. Nowadays, Xoloitzcuintles spend their time as companion dogs.
6. AffenpinscherThe next breed on our list is the infamous Affenpinscher, also referred to as “the monkey dog.” These dogs were initially bred in the 17th century as pest control. Affenpinschers would hunt rats to protect farms from diseases that come from these vermin.
7. BorzoiBorzois, also known as Russian Wolfhounds, are known for their long, elegant bodies and calm, regal demeanor. These large dogs were bred to hunt large game such as foxes, hares, boars, and even wolves.
8. Shar-PeiLast on the list of weird dog breeds is the Shar-Pei. Shar-Peis have a rich history of being hunters, guardians, fighters, and companions. These origins have created a dog breed that is calm and loyal but also fiercely protective of its family and property.