With only a handful of ingredients, these homemade dog snacks are a great way to use up those ripe bananas and a delicious way to treat your dogs. This weekend, Kona and I took to the kitchen to whisk up a quick and easy dog treat recipe with ingredients we had in the pantry. We grabbed a couple of bananas, an egg, peanut butter, wheat flour, and some coconut oil (optional). The result was excellent Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats – Kona approved!
Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treat Recipe
We only used four ingredients in our homemade banana peanut butter dog treats because we know that tons of dogs are allergic to various food items. Limiting the number of ingredients will hopefully prevent your dog from scratching, itching, and licking its paws!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Bake time: 25 minutes
- Total time: Less than 1 hour
- 2 ripe bananas (mash)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (optional 1:1 mixture with coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 2.5 cups wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350º Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside. We are obsessed with our silicon mats and they make baking treats so easy!
- In a large bowl smash the bananas and add peanut butter, coconut oil (optional), and egg. Mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the wheat flour to the banana peanut butter mixture. Fold with a spatula until a dough forms. If the dough is still wet, you can sprinkle in a little more flour.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 4-5 times until it fully comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place them onto the prepared sheets. We use the Magigift Dog Treat Cutters because they are cheap and easy to use.
- Place into the oven for 25 minutes. Bake until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Let your Dog enjoy!
Notes for Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
- All-purpose flour or oat flour will also work for this recipe
- Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats.
- Store treats in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can also refrigerate to keep them longer, up to 2 months, or in the freezer for up to 8 months.
Conclusion for Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
Kona loves anything with peanut butter. Kona Bear goes especially crazy for a slice of banana topped with a dollop of Peanut Butter, so this weekend we decided to whip up a dog biscuit with his favorite ingredients.
Peanut butter is an excellent source of vitamin B, protein, healthy fats, and vitamin E for your doodle. Always make sure your peanut butter does not contain artificial sweeteners like xylitol as it can be toxic to your doodle. We love to buy the Organic Peanut Butter from Costco – made just from dry roasted peanuts.
Ever since Kona was a little puppy, we tried to incorporate coconut oil into his daily diet, whether it be a small scoop on top of his dry food or straight off the spoon. We have found that coconut oil increases his energy levels, boosts his immune system, and relieves itchy skin. As a bonus, coconut oil also improves your dog’s skin and hair, improves digestion, eliminate fleas/ticks, and reduces allergic reaction.
I like to substitute half the peanut butter with coconut oil when making his treats as another way to get it into his diet. If coconut oil is new to your puppy’s diet, make sure to gradually introduce it – too much too fast can upset their digestive system.
Kona is going crazy for these new simple homemade treats. You can even give these human-grade treats a taste for yourself!
Other articles you might like:
Garrett loves animals and is a huge advocate for all Doodle dog breeds. He owns his own Goldendoodle named Kona. In addition, he volunteers at the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, where he fosters dogs and helps animals. Garrett enjoys writing about Doodles and believes that dogs can teach humans more about how to live than humans can teach a dog.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.