Your dog ate some Play-Doh. It’s understandable to worry when our dogs consume something they shouldn’t, but before you freak out, read on to learn precisely what to do next.
So, what do you do if your dog ate Play-Doh? Ultimately, it depends on the amount of Play-Doh your dog consumed and its size. Call a veterinarian if your dog is small, young, or if a considerable quantity has been consumed. Otherwise, it’s advised that you keep a close watch on your dog over the next 48 hours.
Let’s talk about how exactly Play-Doh affects dogs. Keep reading below!
Before reading this guide, “What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Play-Doh,” check out: Are Goldendoodles Good With Kids, Dogs, & Cats? (2023) and Are Pomeranians Good With Kids? (2023).
How Will Eating Play-Doh Affect a Dog?
The outcome of a dog eating Play-Doh mostly depends on its size and the quantity eaten. Both homemade and store-bought Play-Doh contains a lot of salt, which can be harmful to dogs. Dogs who consume Play-Doh could become thirsty or feel ill.
Dogs that get very thirsty, start throwing up, have diarrhea, or are trembling and lethargic require emergency veterinarian care.
Compared to people, dogs are more sensitive to sodium. Salt poisoning can happen if a dog eats too much salt and the amount of salt in its bloodstream is too high. When a dog gets salt poisoning, its muscles and tissues release water into the bloodstream to bring down the high salt levels in the blood.
This may result in seizures, tremors in the dog’s muscles, and weakness. The great news is that although this illness is dangerous, it is also uncommon.
The majority of dogs that consume small amounts of Play-Doh won’t feel any negative repercussions from their odd eating habits. Keeping an eye on your dog is a safe way to make sure they get medical help if they need it after eating Play-Doh.
If your dog is very young or has consumed what you believe to be a significant amount of Play-Doh, you should take him to the vet to avoid any negative effects the Play-Doh may have.
Can Dogs Digest Play-Doh?
Dogs can absorb the majority of components in both homemade and store-bought Play-Doh. These components can irritate a dog’s stomach or have other bad impacts on digestion. Making Play-Doh at home with basic materials like flour, water, and vegetable oil is preferred by many individuals. All of these components can be processed by your dog’s digestive system.
Store-bought Play-Doh can have a wide range of ingredients, but they are mostly made of things that humans can eat because they are meant to be safe. If they consume excessive amounts or swallow Play-Doh creations entirely without much chewing, dogs may have trouble digesting them.
Ingesting huge quantities of food or large pieces increases the danger of suffocation and intestinal obstruction. When a dog is choking, it will have trouble breathing, it may drool a lot, and it will try to swallow or throw up. The dog could pass out. Call a veterinarian right away if you notice these symptoms.
When a dog has a digestive blockage, it often loses its appetite, has trouble going to the bathroom, and acts angry or in pain. The dog could display indications of discomfort and possibly feel queasy. No matter what your dog has ingested, if these symptoms appear, call a vet right away.
Can a Dog Die From Play-Doh?
Dogs being killed by Play-Doh is uncommon but not impossible. When a dog eats Play-Doh, salt toxicity is the main concern. Dogs who are poisoned with salt and are not treated frequently die. The risk your dog faces after eating Play-Doh is closely related to the size of your dog and how much Play-Doh it ate.
Small dogs are less able than larger dogs to metabolize huge amounts of salt. The more a dog eats Play-Doh, the more disturbing it is.
Any quantity of Play-Doh consumption must prompt a visit to your veterinarian if you own a tiny dog (under five pounds) or a younger dog.
Play-Doh is unlikely to cause death in a bigger dog that has only consumed a tiny amount. If your dog ate several packets of Play-Doh or another significant amount, he is more likely to get salt poisoning, which can be fatal.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Play-Doh
Take a few calm breaths and follow the instructions below if your dog decided to eat Play-Doh.
Take Your Dog’s Weight and Amount of Play-Doh Consumed Into Account
The severity of the problem for a dog that ate Play-Doh depends on its size and how much it ate. The amount a dog may safely consume decreases with size. Even ingesting modest amounts of Play-Doh might be problematic for really small dogs like Teacup Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, or Yorkshire Terriers.
This is especially relevant for puppies who are extremely young, and whose digestive systems might not yet be fully developed.
Larger dogs like Golden Retrievers, Boxers, or Great Danes have a far lower chance of getting ill from ingesting little amounts of Play-Doh. But if these dogs ate a lot (whole Play-Doh containers or whole Play-Doh creations), they could get salt poisoning and may need to go to the vet.
If your dog eats too much salt, it is very important to make sure they drink enough water. Excessive thirst is one of the signs of such a condition, so you must give your dog lots of cool water to prevent fermentation in their body.
This could be a good way to lower the amount of salt in the body and get the water levels back to normal. If this makes you throw up or have diarrhea, your body is probably trying to get rid of the salt in its way. Before taking your dog to the vet, this is a fantastic place to start.
Watch Your Dog for Salt Poisoning Symptoms
A dog’s life could be in danger if it gets salt poisoning. Call your veterinarian right away if your dog vomits or has diarrhea multiple times after ingesting Play-Doh, gets very thirsty, loses appetite, shakes, has limb weakness that is new or unexplained, or appears to be sluggish.
Play-Doh toxicity in your dog might not be apparent for several hours after the incident. Salt poisoning can start anywhere from three to 12 hours after eating salt or a portion of salty food. This is why it’s an excellent idea to keep a tight eye on your dog for 24 hours.
Keep an Eye Out for Kidney Failure in Your Dog
When a dog consumes homemade Play-Doh with cream of tartar (or any grape-related item), the kidneys are harmed. For this kind of poisoning, the dose is not precisely defined, and each dog will respond differently. Therefore, it is best to presume that any quantity might be harmful.
Fatigue, nausea, excessive drinking, and urinating are all symptoms of kidney failure. In serious cases, when the kidneys stop working and making urine, urinating too much can quickly turn into not urinating at all. Once more, convulsions and death may occur suddenly.
When to Contact a Vet
It’s a good idea to call your veterinarian if your dog is extremely young, tiny, or has consumed more than a few spoonfuls of Play-Doh. Your dog’s precise weight and the sort of Play-Doh it ate can be examined by your veterinarian to see whether any additional action is required.
If your dog is showing signs of salt poisoning, call your vet right away and tell them what’s going on. Salt toxicity requires veterinary medical treatment.
Even when you do not suspect salt poisoning, consult your veterinarian if your dog continues to have diarrhea or an uneasy stomach days after ingesting Play-Doh. Your dog could require assistance moving the Play-Doh through its digestive tract after ingesting an irregularly shaped pile of it.
Prevent Play-Doh Incidents in the Future
When it comes to something they shouldn’t consume, dogs might not always learn their lesson the first time around. Keep Play-Doh only on raised surfaces like tables or countertops moving forward.
Play-Doh should be kept in tight-fitting containers and behind cabinet doors that your dog cannot open. Play-Doh creations that are drying should be kept well beyond a dog’s reach and should never be used by kids near animals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Play-Doh is not considered toxic in small quantities, but homemade clay made with Borax can be harmful to kids and dogs.
Small amounts of modeling clay should have a negligible effect on your dog.
Your dog may eat dirt, grass, or other out-of-the-ordinary substances and throw up if it has stomach issues.
Conclusion for “What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Play-Doh”
There will occasionally be Play-Doh accidents when dogs are around. The best way to handle the situation is to stay calm, look at your dog’s size and how much it ate, and watch for signs of illness. Contacting your veterinarian if you have any concerns is always a good idea.
If you find this guide, “What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Play-Doh,” helpful, check out:
- My Dog Ate a 500mg Tylenol – What Should I Do? (2023)
- My Dog Ate a Sock but Is Acting Normal? What to Do & What to Expect! (2023)
- My Dog Ate a Balloon: 4 Things You Should Do (2023)
Learn more by watching “My Dog Ate a Foreign Body! Now What?” down below:
Garrett loves animals and is a huge advocate for all Doodle dog breeds. He owns his own Goldendoodle named Kona. In addition, he volunteers at the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, where he fosters dogs and helps animals. Garrett enjoys writing about Doodles and believes that dogs can teach humans more about how to live than humans can teach a dog.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.