This guide is your go-to resource for Dalmatian rescues in Colorado. Dalmatians are among the most beautiful dog breeds (they’re even the mascot of the National Fire Protection Association), yet they’re notoriously difficult to train. It’s only natural, then, that so many end up in shelters and rescues. That’s where you come in.
If you have a soft spot for Dalmatians, or if you’ve just always wanted a companion that doesn’t need hours of brushing every day, then look into adopting a rescued Dalmatian from one of these top Colorado rescues. You might find a new friend for life.
Before you scroll down this list of Dalmatian rescues in Colorado, you can check out these other rescue shelter recommendations from our team at We Love Doodles: Best Small Dog Rescues in Colorado and Best Chihuahua Rescues in Colorado.
Find a Dalmatian Rescue Shelter Near Me in Colorado
Our team at We Love Doodles researched and compiled this list of the best Dalmatian rescues in Colorado with available dogs for adoption.
1. Dalmatian Rescue & Dalmatian Wannabes
A list of Dalmatian dog and puppy rescues in Colorado is incomplete without Dalmatian Rescue & Dalmatian Wannabes. This rescue specializes in providing a haven to Dalmatian and Dalmatian mixes; it gives necessary medical care, training and socialization to rescued dogs.
Moreover, during the first few days of being rescued, Dalmatian Rescue & Dalmatian Wannabes use kennels or daycares to provide shelter to newly rescued dogs, but later they are moved to foster homes.
In the foster home, the dog is rehabilitated, provided necessary training, and then taken to the veterinarian if there are any health issues. All expenses are paid by the generous donations of people who adopt the dogs through their donation fees.
If you are interested in adopting, you will be glad to know the following:
- All dogs are vaccinated
- Have had socialization and training
- Are matched with appropriate homes
An important note regarding Dalmatian Rescue and & Dalmatian Wannabes is that they do not transport dogs out of state. The dogs can only be transported at the expense of the adopter.
You must make the payment and arrangements if you want to hire a transportation service. On the other hand, you can come and collect your dog yourself too. In addition, you must sign an adoption contract before you are allowed to take the dog home.
The contract is not the same thing as the application and must be signed before you can take the dog home. Once the dog is adopted, the owner must take care of the dog’s health issues and needs. The rescue will not take financial responsibility once the dog’s ownership has become yours.
Dalmatian Rescue & Dalmatian Wannabes Details
- Website: Dalmatian Rescue and Dalmatian Wannabes
- Address: PO Box 183 Loveland, Colorado
- Phone Number: (303) 281-8963
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound
The Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound is located in Washington. It is quite a distance from Colorado, but it specializes in Dalmatian rescue across the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Although it is a little far away from Colorado, this rescue is a great choice if you can arrange transportation.
It started as a small organization that saved Dalmatians in Washington to ensure no Dalmatians were left in shelters to be euthanized. Since then, the rescue has grown and takes in dogs from Oregon, Idaho, and other neighboring states.
They work with a trustful and loyal group of foster homes that take the dogs in and give them necessary medical treatment. The dogs are placed in adoptive homes that are carefully screened to ensure they are a good match for Dalmatians.
- Dalmatians were bred to run next to carriages and guard them. They are not quiet dogs that will wait for you to come home if you are away for a long time.
- They have a strong prey drive, which can be dangerous to other animals and small children.
- They need to get out and run around a lot. This means they may not be a good choice for you if you live in a small home or an apartment.
- They also shed quite a bit, so if you have allergies, this might not be your breed.
If you still think a Dalmatian is a suitable pet for you, then you can adopt one by following the steps given below:
- Submit the online adoption form.
- If your application and home are suitable, the rescue will call you to schedule a meet and greet with the chosen dog.
- If the meeting is successful, the rescue volunteers will visit your home in person and give you the dog for a trial stay of 1-week (the trial period can be extended).
- If you pass the trial, you can sign the adoption contract and get full custody of your new dog.
Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound Details
- Website: Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound
- Address: 11616 7th Place Southeast, Lake Stevens, Washington
- Phone Number: (360) 568-9504
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Facebook: Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound’s Facebook
- YouTube: Dalmatian Rescue of Puget Sound’s YouTube
3. Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California
Are you unable to find pet rescues in Colorado dedicated to the Dalmatian breed? Look up Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California. Although not located in Colorado, they serve neighboring states, and it will take you just 17 hours to get from Colorado to California.
Moreover, the rescue has an active Facebook community. People traveling from California to Colorado are happy to pick up the rescued dog from California and deliver it to you in Colorado, free of cost. Some may charge a small nominal fee too.
The Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California requests that all prospective adopters should come and meet the Dalmatians at their rescue before they decide to adopt. You can view available dogs on their website. After selecting one and submitting your application, you will need to wait to hear from the rescue.
They will then schedule a meet and greet and a home visit. The adoption fee for each dog will depend on how much the rescue spent on each animal. For more information about adoption fees, contact the rescue.
Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California Details
- Website: Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California
- Address: 20301 Riverside Drive, Newport Beach, California
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Dalmatian Rescue of Southern California’s Facebook
4. Save the Dalmatians & Other Canine Rescue Inc.
Save the Dalmatians & Other Canine Rescue Inc. is an organization run by a group of individuals who love Dalmatians. As noted in their About Us page, the rescue strives to improve the lives of abandoned Dalmatians.
They do this through rehabilitation, re-homing, and safe shelter for vulnerable dogs. The 501 (c) (3) has Dalmatians available for adoption, which varies in their fees depending on the amount the rescue spends to take care of them.
In most cases, the rescue spends far more than each dog’s adoption fee. Fees vary between $245 and $445. If you are interested in adopting a dog, you must first know some breed-specific issues you will face when owning a Dalmatian.
- Hidden costs are associated with owning a Dalmatian, as sometimes they require prescription food.
- Dalmatians will require wide-open spaces to run around and yards that are fenced. If your yard is not fenced, you will need to buy fencing. If you live in an apartment, you will need to move to a bigger area.
- Dalmatians survive about 12-15 years, and you must commit to keeping the dog for this period.
- Dalmatians require extra attention and care from their owners. If you are overworked or a parent to small children, you may not have the time to do this.
Save the Dalmatians & Other Canine Rescue Inc. Details
- Website: Save the Dalmatians & Other Canine Rescue Inc.
- Address: San Diego, Central San Joaquin Valley, California
- Phone Number: (949) 590-9935
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Facebook: Save the Dalmatians & Other Canine Rescue Inc.’s Facebook
5. Foothills Animal Shelter
Foothills Animal Shelter is the only full-service rescue in Jefferson County, Colorado. They have open visiting hours from 10 am to 4:30 pm, where you can come and visit the dogs. The shelter accepts dogs from other states and may not have any available for adoption at certain times.
Therefore, it would be a good idea to check their website regularly to see which dogs are available. If you are looking for a specific breed, like a Dalmatian, the great thing is that you can put a dog on hold for a $20 fee.
The hold will only be for 24 hours, and you must visit the shelter physically to place the hold. All adoption fees include the cost of spaying/neutering, feeding, training, microchip, 30 days of pet insurance, and a voucher for a vet visit.
You can return the pet within 30 days if it is not a good fit, and you will get 100% of your adoption fee back. Although it is not one of the breed-specific Dalmatian rescues in Colorado, Foothills will surely have happy and healthy Dalmatian rescues for adoption.
Foothills Animal Shelter Details
- Website: Foothills Animal Shelter
- Address: 580 McIntyre St, Golden, Colorado
- Phone Number: (303) 278-7575
- Facebook: Foothills Animal Shelter’s Facebook
- Instagram: Foothills Animal Shelter’s Instagram
More Information About Dalmatian Rescues in Colorado
The release of the movie 101 Dalmatians increased the popularity and breeding of Dalmatians in the late 90s. Unfortunately, many families took in the breed without knowing the responsibilities of caring for Dalmatians.
The breed is known to be energetic and requires regular and strenuous exercise to keep them busy. Most families did not realize this, and many puppies were returned to shelters within the first year.
Many shelters were forced to kill the Dalmatian puppies because there was a shortage of space. As a result, many Dalmatian rescues were created, and we have listed some great ones above.
Today, the demand for Dalmatians is more than the supply, so many families wait until they get a chance to adopt one. The five rescues listed above are sure to have excellent Dalmatians for adoption.
Conclusion For The “Best Dalmatian Rescues in Colorado”
These rescues will give you a head start on your search for a Dalmatian rescue. Hopefully, these recommendations can guide you when finding an appropriate Dalmatian rescue in your area. Moreover, be prepared to drive to other states to find that perfect puppy.
Some are not located in Colorado, but with the improvement in transport facilities, it is easy to select a Dalmatian and deliver it to you. Here’s hoping you find that adorable Dalmatian to bring home forever.
For more guides similar to this list of Dalmatian rescues in Colorado, you can check out these other dog rescue shelter recommendations from our team:
- Best Dalmatian Rescues in Florida
- Best Boston Terrier Rescues in Colorado
- Best Border Collie Rescues in Colorado
Before you adopt a Dalmatian companion from a rescue shelter in Colorado, you can learn more about this dog breed by watching “8 Things Only Dalmatian Dog Owners Understand” down below:
Andy is a full-time animal rescuer and owner of a toy doodle. When he’s not saving dogs, Andy is one of our core writers and editors. He has been writing about dogs for over a decade. Andy joined our team because he believes that words are powerful tools that can change a dog’s life for the better.
Why Trust We Love Doodles?
At We Love Doodles, we’re a team of writers, veterinarians, and puppy trainers that love dogs. Our team of qualified experts researches and provides reliable information on a wide range of dog topics. Our reviews are based on customer feedback, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis. We are fully transparent and honest to our community of dog owners and future owners.